GW rejection

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I was rejected from GW today! Not too concerned about it as I've got some good interviews comin' up and an acceptance. It'll come in handy though b/c my school has a "Rejection Letter" party in the spring where you get free beer per rejection letter. Anyone else's school have anything similiar (I figure it's pretty common)?

Members don't see this ad.

volcanicglass said:
I was rejected from GW today! Not too concerned about it as I've got some good interviews comin' up and an acceptance. It'll come in handy though b/c my school has a "Rejection Letter" party in the spring where you get free beer per rejection letter. Anyone else's school have anything similiar (I figure it's pretty common)?

Where were you accepted to?

Hi all,
I am at GW now and I wanted to offer a little of the insider view. GW gets SO many apps that they may very well rule out folks they think would go somewhere else (can't confirm that, but it seems logical). The tuition is VERY expensive and a lot of people choose their state school over GW in the end. We have an interesting mix of people in our class. A significant number are prior GW students. We also have several students that attended the post-bac program at Georgetown, and several from CA (probably because it is harder to get into the state school system there). There is quite a bit of ethnic diversity and they also take some very non-traditional applicants, too. I don't think they emphasize grades/MCAT in the admissions process nearly as much as other schools- which is one of the reasons so many people apply to GW. Ask yourself: if you got into X,Y, and Z and GW, would I go to GW? They probably have some experience at predicting who will and who won't. It certainly doesn't mean you don't have a great application...and the truth is, you probably WILL get in somewhere else. My advice for folks on hold- if you REALLY want to attend GW, make sure you follow up with the admissions office and let them know that. I think persistence pays off here. If you got rejected with good scores, you unfortunately fell victim to the randomness of the application process- there is no way to invite 10,000 people for an interview! These are just my thoughts on the matter- Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
I got a rejection letter today. That makes two this week, which means TWO BEERS at the rejection letter party, right? These are the most expensive beers I have ever bought. :)

Got my GW rejection this weekend. Yay!

dpill said:
These are just my thoughts on the matter- Good luck!
Thanks dpill. Always good to get an insiders scoop! Being a non-trad with family in DC (in-laws, but great ones) I would love the opportunity to check out GW. Letter of interest, here I come!

dpill said:
Hi all,
I am at GW now and I wanted to offer a little of the insider view. GW gets SO many apps that they may very well rule out folks they think would go somewhere else (can't confirm that, but it seems logical). The tuition is VERY expensive and a lot of people choose their state school over GW in the end. We have an interesting mix of people in our class. A significant number are prior GW students. We also have several students that attended the post-bac program at Georgetown, and several from CA (probably because it is harder to get into the state school system there). There is quite a bit of ethnic diversity and they also take some very non-traditional applicants, too. I don't think they emphasize grades/MCAT in the admissions process nearly as much as other schools- which is one of the reasons so many people apply to GW. Ask yourself: if you got into X,Y, and Z and GW, would I go to GW? They probably have some experience at predicting who will and who won't. It certainly doesn't mean you don't have a great application...and the truth is, you probably WILL get in somewhere else. My advice for folks on hold- if you REALLY want to attend GW, make sure you follow up with the admissions office and let them know that. I think persistence pays off here. If you got rejected with good scores, you unfortunately fell victim to the randomness of the application process- there is no way to invite 10,000 people for an interview! These are just my thoughts on the matter- Good luck!
So, if anyone else can chime in, GW is my first choice (I'm a PBL ***** and I love politics), so should I start to lobby now?

I received the HOLD letter and it says not to send anymore correspondence. I would LOVE to go to GW but what should I do? Is there anything I can even do?

I received a hold email also. :( They also specified not to send anything else.
Ugh!

Is anyone else sending a LOI?

Seagal said:
I received a hold email also. :( They also specified not to send anything else.
Ugh!

Is anyone else sending a LOI?

i think they mean updated stuff like Lors and grades. having no interviews i'm tempted to tell them that if they take me i'll pay up the 4 yr tuition upfront

madonna said:
i think they mean updated stuff like Lors and grades. having no interviews i'm tempted to tell them that if they take me i'll pay up the 4 yr tuition upfront

hah- I like your style, Madonna. Anyhow- GW rejection this weekend. god damn. :mad:

yeah i belong in this thread as well. not too thrilled about it.

also, i have mediocre stats and they rejected me, so don't know how much validity this "you're getting rejected now cause your stats are too high" theory holds. hmph.

madonna said:

Are you really Madonna? How else do you have $160,000 ready to plop down? Trust fund?

tacrum43 said:
Are you really Madonna? How else do you have $160,000 ready to plop down? Trust fund?

i'll "borrow" from the bank where GW deposits all of our application fees. from the 10000 applicants, they wont even notice the difference.