GW vs UAB

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Amachine

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here I am, a few days before decision day and I'm still not sure where to attend medical school. I am trying to decide between a large state school in the south and a private school in Washington DC. Btw I know this is a great position to be in. I wasn't accepted last year so having options this year feels unreal.

GW
Pros
  • New city (I've lived in the south my whole life and am interested in exploring a new place)
  • Health policy and public health integrated into the curriculum
  • Opportunity for an international elective
  • Diverse patient population
  • Great opportunities for research in basic science and public health
  • Early clinical exposure through Assistantship program

Cons
  • I haven't been able to visit and so I haven't gotten a good feel for campus or the community there (edit: ended up visiting and liked it)
  • Know very few people in the city
  • Much higher cost of living

UAB
Pros
  • Higher ranked (although the schools have different priorities)
  • Big academic medical center w/lots of opportunity for research
  • Closer to family (I'm OOS but my hometown isn't too far)
  • I know a lot of people there
  • Faculty and admin made me feel wanted and have kept up with me consistently since my interview

Cons
  • I was assigned to a regional campus for my 3rd year so I would have to do all of my core clerkship rotations there but I have the option of doing 4th-year electives and acting internships at the main campus
  • Would have to move cities multiple times during medical school
  • ^these are the only real cons for me. I'm not sure if doing my rotations at a regional campus would hurt my chances for residency down the road but it doesn't seem ideal.

Summary: Having a collaborative and interactive student body is important to me. I have scholarships at both schools so the COA is basically the same although I know I would be pinching pennies more in DC. I'm really torn because I like both schools a lot but they are different types of schools with different goals so it is difficult to compare them. GW: private and focused on public health and policy but also has opportunities for research and academics. UAB: a state school with a major focus on the state's needs but also a big-time academic center. I'm definitely missing some pros and cons but this is the basic rundown.

Pls help :)

Edit: better title

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Have you been to Birmingham before? I was also strongly considering UAB as an OOS student but then I visited and quickly realized it would be incredibly hard imagining myself living here. I was also placed in a regional campus instead of Birmingham, which was also disappointing. The hassle of moving, ending research/extracurricular activities that I'd be involved with the first two years, spending a year away from most of my class and perhaps most of all, rotating at a hospital that wasn't the state's flagship academic/teaching hospital felt like too many cons. Last week I chose another school. However, I recognize my own personal biases (liberal, ethnic minority, no interest in matching in the South, minimal interest in research, love huge cities) so please take everything with a grain of salt. Regardless, good luck choosing between these two great schools!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Have you been to Birmingham before? I was also strongly considering UAB as an OOS student but then I visited and quickly realized it would be incredibly hard imagining myself living here. I was also placed in a regional campus instead of Birmingham, which was also disappointing. The hassle of moving, ending research/extracurricular activities that I'd be involved with the first two years, spending a year away from most of my class and perhaps most of all, rotating at a hospital that wasn't the state's flagship academic/teaching hospital felt like too many cons. Last week I chose another school. However, I recognize my own personal biases (liberal, ethnic minority, no interest in matching in the South, minimal interest in research, love huge cities) so please take everything with a grain of salt. Regardless, good luck choosing between these two great schools!
Thank you for your response! I visited Birmingham and liked it but it is very similar to where I grew up and went to undergrad, which isn't bad it's just more of the same. I know I would be comfortable there and the moving transition would be easier relative to moving to DC. Also, the students at both schools seem great, very collaborative, and friendly. I think both places would be wonderful honestly. Most people I've spoken with don't think rotating in a regional campus at UAB would hurt and if anything it could be a great opportunity to get to know the preceptors well, but I'm not sure if they're downplaying the disadvantages of being at a regional medical center.

@Goro @LizzyM I'm relatively new to sdn but I know you both are experts. Do you have any advice?

Last edited:
Thank you for your response! I visited Birmingham and liked it but it is very similar to where I grew up and went to undergrad, which isn't bad it's just more of the same. I know I would be comfortable there and the moving transition would be easier relative to moving to DC. Also, the students at both schools seem great, very collaborative, and friendly. I think both places would be wonderful honestly. Most people I've spoken with don't think rotating in a regional campus at UAB would hurt and if anything it could be a great opportunity to get to know the preceptors well, but I'm not sure if they're downplaying the disadvantages of being at a regional medical center.

@Goro @LizzyM I'm relatively new to sdn but I know you both are experts. Do you have any advice?
Both fine schools. Go with the cheapest tuition

If the cost of attendence (including traveling to see family plus moving expenses if applicable) will be about the same, then cost doesn't factor in. (If one is going to be less not just for tuition but overall cost of attendance, then going with the less expensive is one way of making a choice.)

In terms of having or not having friends, you are likely to make friends in medical school. The incoming class is relatively small and you are in emotionally charged situations where you are likely to form tight bonds that will last a lifetime.

In terms of being close to family, keep in mind that time can be tight and it may not be possible to be present for every family event and to do every errand or favor. Being geographically close by but unavailable may be frustrating for everyone. If they understand, "I can't, I'm studying" then life will be easier but only you can judge how difficult it will be to be nearby but not able to be with them.