GW waitlist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

joojoobeware

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm on the GW waitlist. I received this nice big envelope with very positive statements...like "Congrats!" and "most people on the alternates list get in"
I was wondering what are the chances of people getting off of their waitlist. Does a large majority come off? I know people always say that 50% of the waitlist are in the enter class. But I am concerned with realistic numbers and how many actual people that attend GW were on the waitlist and got in.
Also if you recently got off the waitlist there, I am also interested in when you interviewed and around when did you hear...2000 or 2001. Thanks.null

Members don't see this ad.

Are you in any where else? Get your Fafsa in and hang tight. I am an older non traditional student and i already have my money lined up and an ARMY HPSP.I am also on thwe wait list/ GW is my First choice. I am also an alumn of GW and have many friends that went through GW Med. Ther are only 30 on the list around 15-18 come off. It is a randomn yet selective process in which GW tries to "preserve the diversity of the class". The most movement is seen in June. Waiting Sucks! Feel free to email me with any questions I am a veteran of the process. This is my third time applying in 3 years and I got 4 acceptances and 1 waitlist. Stay the course. ----Peter :p

Hello :) I am in the same predicament as the two of you! I was placed on the waitlist on April 10 and I interviewed on Feb 23. I too was initially happy because the envelope sounded encouraging but my hopes seem bleaker now :( I called the admissions office yesterday and they said that max movement occurs in Jun 1st and 2nd week. Another thing that bothered me was the $3000 deposit due by Jun20!!!!!!!! But I think it is different for waitlisted candidates...man, I don't know...this whole
process is extremely frustrating....every time the phone rings I keep thinking its for me from GW!! even though I know its not. ANyway, I am a GW alumni too and this is my first choice...so for all those who got in but are not a 100% keen to attend, please GIVE UP YOUR SLOT!! Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by matopet1:
•Are you in any where else? Get your Fafsa in and hang tight. I am an older non traditional student and i already have my money lined up and an ARMY HPSP.I am also on thwe wait list/ GW is my First choice. I am also an alumn of GW and have many friends that went through GW Med. Ther are only 30 on the list around 15-18 come off. It is a randomn yet selective process in which GW tries to "preserve the diversity of the class". The most movement is seen in June. Waiting Sucks! Feel free to email me with any questions I am a veteran of the process. This is my third time applying in 3 years and I got 4 acceptances and 1 waitlist. Stay the course. ----Peter :p

Hey Peter,
Thanks for the info. No I'm not in anywhere else, but I did put my FAFSA in for all the schools that I'm waitlisted. And yes, GW is my first choice also. Wow, :eek: around 30 are on the waitlist. That seems like a really small waitlist when comparing it to other schools. I was thinking that they had around 100 or so on the waitlist or 'alternates list'.
I too called GW awhile ago and said that most of the movement occurs in early June. I wonder if there is any movement going on now? :confused:
Guys, let me know if there is any news from these fellows in DC. I too am waiting anxiously by the phone (is that the method that they use to let their candidates know?)...but i guess we have to wait another 1-2 weeks till we finally get word. Thanks. Keep this thread going!

There is no movment at GW. The admissions office is pretty strait up if people are coming off the list. Just give it time. It takes 2 to 3 weeks to see movmnet from the May 15th deadline. Also I spoke with admissions and 2 to 3 offers were made around the 15th. as far I know no other movement at GW. Good Luck !!! Think June. :)

I'm on the GW waitlist, as well; I'm also an alum of GW.

I'm curious, how do you know that there are only ~ 30 on the waitlist? That seems like such a small number, especially considering the number of people on this board and TPR who are expressing interest in this school.
Also, a few weeks ago I called the admissions office and they told me that the $3000 wasn't due until July 15th; if you're accepted after that date, you have a week to submit the deposit.

I guess I will sit tight for now . . . come June, it's time to stop by the admissions office!
;)

Charlotte, That is what I was told by admissions. As far as I know that is true from my friends who have graduated. That is why the letters were so positive. Our chances are 50-50 to 60-50 to get in.One thing to remeber roughly 60% of all doctors have 1 acceptance to med school. GW is selective who they put on this list and accept. Obviously being Alumns we know what oppurtunities are in DC and what GW does for the community. Ther are 30 on the list as far as I know. Remember only 15-18 come off. Flip a coin. I am a 95 graduate. -----Good Luck!

This is good to hear: >50% chance? I am waitlisted in 3 schools in the DC/VA area and am waiting and waiting. I interviewed with GW at the end of January and was waitlisted in mid-April, so I am glad time has come when we should all finally hear! I hope you all get in off the waitlist as well!

Ok...I heard that there is some movement on the waitlist...
ho hum...
:(

JooJoo, Stay positive and let the process play. Again, the most come off in June at GW.Waiting does suck! Good luck!!! I hope we all get in to GW.

I was in DC last week (my fiance lives there) and so I visited the admissions office. No one was in except this guy who worked in the office. He said they did let a few in off the waitlist. We asked how many were on it and he said he wasn't sure, but definitely more than 30. I am not sure what to believe, any thoughts?

Genie, Most people in the office will tell you three diffrent things, but ther are a few that are sratightup.Just look at the post of the people that have called "some movement", alot of movent", movment. Whatever!Yes some offers have been made but in the 20 year history of the GW alternate list most movment is seen in JUNe and after that only 2 to 3 come off. The variation from year to year is a couple of people. I had a friend who was a MED student that sat on the committe a few years back so as far as I know it is 30. I am an alumni and know the prcoess at GW quite well.Always ask who you are speaking with. The people that have been there for 10-20 years know what they are talking about. I will leave it at that.Are you in anywhere else?Waiting Stinks!! I already have a school lined up so alot of the pressure is off, but having a family complicates how long you hold out. Think June. Good Luck!!!

Genie, send me an email if you have any other questions. At least you wil not be paying 1800 a month for child care in DC(2 kids). I hope to see you at orientation. Good luck!----matopet

Members don't see this ad :)
I got in!!!!! THe director of admissions gave me a phone call this morning- aNd here I was yesterday having a panic attack. This is the first school I got into off of three waitlists! Now, no matter what happens with the others I am going to med school! BEst wishes to all and see you in the FAll!

Congarts!!! Let me know if you need any info on DC. Good Luck!!!

Congrats!!!!

Hey thanks! My husband to be was a GW undergrad, in Electrical Engineering so he has been there for 5 years now. I am moving from Cali at the beginning of Aug. HOpe to see you there!

I wanted to get any advice from those who did get an interview at GW. I am applying this year and GW is my first choice school. If anybody does not mind I would appreciate seeing some stats (MCAT, GPA, etc.) Thanks!

Well, my MCAT was 10-V, 9, 9, Q
I had a 3.73 GPA, I forgot my science GPA but it is somewhere around there.
I had really strong recs and showed strong interest in the School. My fiance lives there and we are getting married in July. I told them that and I think that helped!

Hey,
interviewed there in March:
here's the stats
34R MCAT
3.4 GPA
3 basic science publications
Americorps
tons of other extra-curriculars
If you are really interested...let them know...they'll interview you if you've got decent #'s!
Good luck

But how should I let them know that I am interested? Should I contact the admissions office, send an email, send a letter. My stats are okay (except I don't know about my MCAT scores).

I don't know if you can do much before they made a decision to interview you or not. YOu haven't sent secondaries yet right? To tell you the truth, I didn't get an interview initially, but I wrote them a letter saying how much I wanted to go to their school, etc..and they granted me an interview! It's such a random process I think..any other day I could have got one. My MCAT was on the average side so I guess that didn't help.
Anyways, bottom line is that I finally was accepted. After I was waitlisted I wrote two letters of intent and I am sure that helped too!

That's funny...I wrote them a letter to get an interview too. It was early February this year and I hadn't heard from them so I wrote them saying why I wanted to go and then the next thing you know...ring, ring...you want to come to DC?
So I wouldn't write them until after I turned in my secondary and still didn't hear from them--maybe late Jan or early Feb if it comes to that. But also indicate in your secondary that GW is your first choice.

Gator are you an alumni? That helps. Also. I would apply EDP. GW is tough with the # of apps they Have. I am older and have MS and have done research and worked clinicaly as in some capacity in the past 8 years.I have also done alot of community activiteies. My MS Gpa was 3.67 and that was while working 50hrs and having a wife and one child. I have a BS and BA from GW. GW takes time to look at the whole app. My Mcat was only a 26 after 4 tries in 5 years. I wolud make an appt with admissions and take a tour. I have applied 3 times and broke through this year with 4 acceptances and 1 wait list at GW. Gw is my first choice but I am happy to go to my # 2. It is all realtive. Go where you have support and feel comfortable. do your homework on the schools. Good Luck!!

I am not an alumni but I have family that work/went to GW university for there undergraduate (extended family). I have a lot of activities (most of which is medical related) and I work part time in an ER but I am worried about my MCAT score (I don't think I did well). I thought that a person should only apply to EDP if they have a really good chance in getting into GW. I don't think that is me. Thanks to all of you that responded to my question.

I have a question about the number of people on the wait list. USnews.com has 928 people intervies and a total of 434 were accepted for 151 spots; If a total of 220 acceptances are given before a waitlist is formed then 134 were taken off the waitlist in addition to the 220 inital overacceptance pool. So the wait list would have to be around 250 on it. In addition, to that GW reopened interviewing last year in July and August and one of my friends interwied in late July and got in the first week of oreintation. This probably means that most of the people off the waitlist were taken.

Jayesh, You forgot about the seven year meds and the early accepts at GW which take 30-35 slots. Thus meaning 115-120 slots are open.Also I was on Hold last year and that is emergency reserve to the wait list. Interviews generally end in Sept. My contact said no interviews were almost ever granted. Wow your friend interviewed in July and got in!! I can not speak for the US news #'s. generally 2x the # of open places is the formula roughly. Also, I was told only 50-60% come off the wait list. Who knows? Only the Dean. I am sure even the people in admissions are out of the loop on some stuff. I got in 4 schools so if I get GW great. Good luck Jayesh!!! I hope you get in. That woul be graet if most people got in off the wait list.

Sorry, that would be that most interviews end in April (not september)and never open.sounds like you can trust no one in admissions.

Congrats to whose who got off the waitlist!
And here I am...anxiously chewing my nails every time I hear the phone ring!!! Any advice on how NOT TO THINK ABOUT IT....??

Kismat,

I'm in the same situation; it's a test of patience! But if we've made it this far, what's another month of waiting? I'm actually in the med school quite often (finishing my public health degree) and it's difficult to resist the urge to harrass the admissions office. :)

Good luck!

I FINALLY got off the waitlist at GW! :)
Hang in there everyone...

Congrats! I think they are moving fast there cuz I got the call yesterday....Maybe I will see you there?

Hey charlotte.sometimes
I guess u r right about waiting it out a little more and having more patience! Its just sooooooo annoying though, I wish they'd tell me a Yes or No now! I know what u mean about harassing the med school admissions office, I live in that area (actually on I and 22...down the street from the damned med school!!!!) so everytime I walk by it I have half a mind to go to the 7th floor! I guess u r right about being patient....let's see what happens..I have already put my resume up on Monster!!! Congrats to u joojoobeware!

Congarats JOOJOO!! Kismat and Charlotte hang tough. I hope we all hear soon. Charlotte do you have a plan A in place? I need to know whether to move to DC or Chicago. i can hold out until about Aug 1.I have to set up day care and my wife need to get a job. Running is my coping mechanism. Good Luck!!!

my coping vehicle was friends...hang out with your friends... :) oh, and a lot of prayer

I agree with JooJoo. Definetly prayer.

matopet1,

my alternative plan is med school in philly. this is not a bad plan, by any means, but it's not my first choice. i can't imagine leaving DC! if i don't hear from GW, i will start looking for housing and such come july . . .
this is also an interesting predicament with finacial aid; i'd like to see f.a. packages at both schools before making any definite decisions.

hoo-boy, isn't this fun? :D

Charlotte and Kismat do you realize everyone that has gotten off so far that we know of is not a GW Alumni? I wonder if they figure we are sure things and hold out on us? Who knows just a conspiracy theory? --Good Luck!!!!

Could some one please tell me what type of questions are on the GW secondary application?

for the secondary app for 2001 it looked something like this:
1.Work Experience
2.Activities not mentioned on AMCAS
3.List classes that fulfill the med req.
4.What are you doing if you are not in school?
5.Describe long-term goals. Where do you see yourself in 10 years, who has infulenced you to pursue medicine?
6.Are you a 'science' person or 'people' person?
7.Why GW?

Very typical application.
Good luck.
BTW, I think all applicants get a secondary app, but i could be wrong.

Matopet:
That's a really good point you mentioned. Maybe they prioritize it as "Cali resident", etc, etc, then "GW Alumni"?? I don't know, it would make sense to go the other way round: but maybe I am completely off about the way they go down the list. In any case.,.
its the 4th of Jun....I still haven't heard..
if you guys get in, please share the good news...cuz I'll know exactly where I stand :(
instead of all this useless speculation. I just hope to hear either way atleast before the 4th of Jul...!

hey matopet1 and kismat,

good point; i hope there may be some truth to it. i suppose we could look at this from two perspectives . . . on one hand, it seems that we should have the (early) advantage, being as we're alum. on the other hand, however, maybe they do feel that we are more certain than other waitlist candidates--thus, they can call us later in the waitlist season. OR, maybe i'm just telling myself that to feel better. ;)

well, at least we have all summer to speculate on this. haha.

cheers!

Hey guys! No good news here. Still waiting. I just called admisions and they said it could be another 2-3 weeks before there is significant movment.They also said you could hear sooner than that. Yada Yada Yada!Would it not be nice if we could get a starit answer. What have you guys heard? Stress level definetly goes up the further out we go. I kepp praying and working out. I hope we hear by the end of June.Good Luck!!!!

Thanks joojoobeware ! :)

matopet1,

no news here!! 2-3 weeks, huh? i guess that has to do with the $3000 deposit that must be submitted in july; alot of students must be holding spots on multiple waitlists. i'm stopping by admissions tomorrow--will let you know if i find out anything significant.

:confused:

Charlotte, what did admissions tell you? --Good luck!!

Hello guys....anyone found anything new yeT?
i called the admissions office yesterday and basically they said "NO" in a very nice bull****ty way. They were like "your file has been re-reviewed and the committee has decided to keep you on the alternate list as of now....yada yada..you still remain an active alternate however, etc etc" Man, I don't know...this sounds like they have enough and more accepted students who have decided on GW...my question is are any of you (charlotte and matopet, in particular since you both are GW alumni) in the same boat? I've kinda given up and put my resume on monster......I even asked...I don't think there is much else I can do from my side..
any thoughts, feedback, advice... will be appreciated :)

I am in the same boat, as you put it. Also haven't gotten much out of anyone at GW when I have called. I just keep my cell phone nearby and pray that it rings.

i talked with someone in admissions and got little information. they told me the same thing--you're still an active candidate, keep your address updated. i'm just trying to find out if there's another "wave" of openings coming at the end of June or . . . was that it? i'm not going to make alternative plans until July.

:(

Hey Guys! I do not even ask about my status because that is a given. Since, I have a family I get questions answered about day care and insurance and then as a secondary question I ask when there may be movement. The impression I got from admissions when I talked to them on thursday was there would be another wave of acceptances at the end of June and early July. Then it is a trickle of acceptances after that. Thus the further out we go our chances decrease, but people do come off in late July and August was the impression I got. For those of us with other acceptances,once we start orientation we are committed to that school and also for the Army HPSP. Sit tight and Pray. At least Charlotte and I have somewhere to go. The prssure is greater on you guys with no acceptances. I can not imagine. Hang tough and I hope you all get in somewhere. Good Luck!!!