GWU Alternate List 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

IndigoBoy0

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm in !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Got the call this am. Keep praying - there is a G-d! GW class of 2014!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

alamode

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm in !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Got the call this am. Keep praying - there is a G-d! GW class of 2014!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OMG!!! Congratulations!! That is amazing. Just when we thought there was zero movement...

alamode

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

P.S. Can you give us more details about the call? What time did it come? Do you think you were the only one today?

I REALLY want to go to GW. I've been sending updates and calling...Ugh.

Members don't see this ad :)

bonoz

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score

So happy for you man. Best of luck!

Did you keep updating them on a weekly basis? What did you do so we can do the same thing?

bonoz

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'd really like to get in before the World Cup starts. :D

NdNThunder

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
haha, agreed

I can't agree more with your user-name!!!! I want to get in so I don't have to deal with MCAT part 2! Pre-world cup would be a bonus! Anyone know how long the accepted students off the WL get to make a decision?

bonoz

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I can't agree more with your user-name!!!! I want to get in so I don't have to deal with MCAT part 2! Pre-world cup would be a bonus! Anyone know how long the accepted students off the WL get to make a decision?

I don't know about others but it certainly would take me only 3 picoseconds to make MY decision if I get the so sought after acceptance.

IndigoBoy0

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm at work (LOOOOOOOOONG day) but I'll post responses tonight. :xf: for y'all.

nizzy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Congratulations, IndigoBoy0! :)

*emo sigh...* *goes back to dreaded MCAT book*

alamode

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I don't know about others but it certainly would take me only 3 picoseconds to make MY decision if I get the so sought after acceptance.

I'm with you bonoz. :)

IndigoBoy0

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
P.S. Can you give us more details about the call? What time did it come? Do you think you were the only one today?

Don't know who else was called but I got an e-mail telllnig me to call the GW office and they gave me the number. Was around 9:30 am. This was slightly different then what I was expecting as I had been waiting by my phone for a phone call the past few weeks. :).

Did you keep updating them on a weekly basis? What did you do so we can do the same thing?

I think persistance pays off. I updated them via e-mail anytime something big happened including work promotions, conference attendance, etc. I really believe if it is truly from the heart it resonates with them.

Agreed. I was shaking on the phone and didn't even ask how long I had to decide, etc. just accepted right away!!!

Wishing you all only the best and will pray that those of you waiting will soon be my classmates. :xf: I'll be checking here for updates. :luck: If anyone has any other questions feel free to PM me.

:love: GW class of 2014!

Members don't see this ad :)

alamode

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Don't know who else was called but I got an e-mail telllnig me to call the GW office and they gave me the number. Was around 9:30 am. This was slightly different then what I was expecting as I had been waiting by my phone for a phone call the past few weeks. :).

I think persistance pays off. I updated them via e-mail anytime something big happened including work promotions, conference attendance, etc. I really believe if it is truly from the heart it resonates with them.

Agreed. I was shaking on the phone and didn't even ask how long I had to decide, etc. just accepted right away!!!

Wishing you all only the best and will pray that those of you waiting will soon be my classmates. :xf: I'll be checking here for updates. :luck: If anyone has any other questions feel free to PM me.

:love: GW class of 2014!

Thanks for the info! I REALLY hope to meet you in person in August :) Please, please, please!

canes1

canes1
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
:xf:Let's hope there's some more spots out there!!!

Hopeful M D

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. Can anybody offer me some advice? I need to decide quickly between NYMC and GWU. Both great schools but with a different energy. I'm having a hard time with the decision. NYMC also offered me a scholarship which makes the decision trickier; GW is very expensive. Thank you.

NdNThunder

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. Can anybody offer me some advice? I need to decide quickly between NYMC and GWU. Both great schools but with a different energy. I'm having a hard time with the decision. NYMC also offered me a scholarship which makes the decision trickier; GW is very expensive. Thank you.

Hey Hopeful MD,
Congrats on both the acceptances! :)Honestly, not sure about NYMC, but GW sure is pretty expensive and so is living in the nations capital, DC. But it has a unique track program...if that really appeals to you. I would look into residency and boards records for both schools. Personally, home is where the heart is. Medical school is very taxing and its great to be close to friends/family to vent and relax in between crazy exam marathons, breakdowns and whatnot! So I would also consider proximity to home. GL with your decision!:luck:

bonoz

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score

Do you have acceptances from both?

Progressive

Progressive
10+ Year Member
Reaction score

GW is VERY expensive. If you have the benefit of scholarships at NYMC I would take it. All the docs I talk to say that Med school is really about learning science. Both schools are great programs, so you would probably be better off to save the cash and go to NYMC unless you really want to live in DC.

bonoz

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone else feel like we're stuck on some lost island and itching for a rescue? Except that rescue ship can only carry one at a time and is low on fuel so it can only come a few times?

And there's like 50 of us on the island...

NdNThunder

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
How long is everyone waiting before submitting AMCAS for 10-11 cycle? Definitely not something we want to do....but has to be done at some point :rolleyes:

homer21

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Already applied for the 2011 cycle. Verified today.

noalias

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Verified by AMCAS right?

According to AMCAS, Note: Transmission of applicant data to the medical schools will not begin until June 25, 2010.

This to me signals that schools won't have access to applications until June 25 which means more time to wait for any good news? Thoughts?

homer21

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Right. Verified by AMCAS, but AMCAS won't forward the application to each school till June 25.

bonoz

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Right. Verified by AMCAS, but AMCAS won't forward the application to each school till June 25.

Do they forward it in a big batch or do they forward it in the order it was received by them?

NdNThunder

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Long time no acceptance. WHAT IS GOING ON!?! I really don't appreciate being kept in the dark. :mad: I thought a few seats opened up last last week? June 15th was my initial cut-off for losing hope, but its coming rather fast :thumbdown:

noalias

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
@ Bonoz

Unsure about that, I know that when I called AMCAS the lady said that it wouldn't put me at a disadvantage if I waited until the 25th to submit. Try calling and seeing what they say, they're pretty responsive and willing to help.

angel20

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
i think it'd be a miracle to see more movements...(being realistic) based on the trend this year.
even though last year there were some movements until July that does not mean the same thing will happen this year. I wish it would... i have to think about what to do next year. any suggestions? is anyone retaking mcats?
at this point, im thinking about DO schools for next year, might have better luck with them.

bonoz

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i think it'd be a miracle to see more movements...(being realistic) based on the trend this year.
even though last year there were some movements until July that does not mean the same thing will happen this year. I wish it would... i have to think about what to do next year. any suggestions? is anyone retaking mcats?
at this point, im thinking about DO schools for next year, might have better luck with them.

Definitely do consider DO. It's a good option but it scares people away because you'll be a DO and not an "MD".

Evalulate yourself and see where your weaknesses are. If MCAT is one of them and then consider retaking the MCAT. If ECs are weak, consider working on those. If everything is weak, then do it all.

AMCAS is open. Send in your transcripts, talk to your premed advisor, update your application and send it in ASAP. Send in your secondaries immediately as well.

Keep improving yourself as an applicant. Do your best to do all of the above, at the same time, in the space of next few months. That's what I hope to do now.

angel20

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
my only issue is mcats...and I took more that I should have. that's why im desparate to hear from gw. i wonder if other schools have had any movements for WL group...b.c if other schools do, then that increases the chances of hearing from GW (assuming some ppl here are wl at other schools).

at any rate, I will submit my amcas again. does it look bad to use the same personal statement that i used last year? my reasons for becoming a doc have not changed really.

noalias

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
@ Angel

From everything I have heard, it doesn't look good to resubmit with the exact same PS. I mean, there has to be SOMETHING different in the past year that you have done that you can include, like new medically relevant experiences that have reaffirmed your decision to persevere and continue to pursue your ultimate goal of becoming a physician!

There you go, I practically wrote something for you add in right now!:laugh:

As for what you're going through, don't worry, you're not the only person in the same boat. I say follow the advice you've been given on this thread and reapply as most of us will. Hey, look at it this way, you're being given a whole year to accomplish something. I'm personally considering working for half of the year, while saving up and working abroad in volunteer clinics for the other half! The despair will pass, I promise.

dadocca

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is definitely turning into the worst year to be a gw alternate based on what I saw looking at the past few years on sdn. 2 sdners... I mean come one... 2? I think harvard (which nobody drops from) had more! And last week they told me that the class is full and she didn't sound very optomistic about much more movement.

HristosKaran

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know, 2 people off the wait list is not what I was hoping for...but what can ya do??? Lets just keep hope alive guys!!

NdNThunder

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
This is really a TOUGH wait for GW. Did anyone get accepted recently? Although its great to stay positive in regards to the WL, planning ahead is also very much required.
I want to submit my AMCAS for 10-11 asap so it can be verified. If I go through with the 10-11 application cycle, I also have to retake my MCATS which I plan to do the first week of August.
Dilemma: I don't mind spending $160 and applying to 1 school on AMCAS for now. But in order to submit AMCAS, I ALSO need to finalize and list my upcoming MCAT test date (something I haven't even registered for yet). Its another $230 that I don't unecessarily want to spend if not needed (if accepted off the WL this cycle).
What are you guys doing?!?!?!! Felt like it'd be cool to exchange alternative ideas/plans for the future since we're all in the same boat :)

angel20

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking the same....resubmit my amcas and study again and take it 2nd week of august. (when is the lastest day to take mcats)? I think some schools do not accept september tests.

I think if we dont hear by 1st week of July, then it's safe to say that there is no chance and we should finalize plans for future...and definitely reserve a seat for august test. I'm going to retake an mcat class starting next week. and start studying again....i forgot almost everything from last year. I'm also going to apply for jobs these days if i dont get in, then i can at least earn money.

i dont know what other options are available in case of not getting in.... i guess post-bac programs work too...but i dont want to pay $$$ for that. i want to earn money and save it for med school.

noalias

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I agree with starting to plan now. Take a moment to reevaluate your application, then make a plan to improve the areas that need improvement. For example, if you've got a lower MCAT score, definitely consider retake (just be sure you're really ready before you do take it, a drop wouldn't look too good). If you've got a lower GPA, perhaps consider applying for post-bacc or master's programs. I think some schools have cut off days for applying at July 1, so you'll want to consider getting things ready for these IF you feel like you need to. If your GPA is solid, and post-bacc or master's isn't really something you don't want to do, then don't do it! Let's face it, spending a ton of money to get good grades to put on top of the grades you already have will not help that much. Trust me, I'd know, I've spoken with several adcom and advisers regarding this. Solid GPA from undergrad is effective enough.

Regarding the timing, I like that idea of setting a concrete date that YOU WILL RESUBMIT. Think about it, better to prepare ahead of time, find out you got in, then lose the money as opposed to hurting yourself for future reapplication. I feel like I've said it a bunch of times, but AMCAS doesn't open applications up to schools until June 25th (says it in red on their website). I spoke with someone at AMCAS over the phone, and flat out asked "Will waiting to submit until the 25th put me at a significant disadvantage?" Her response was, "No...no other student's application will have been made available until then, so if you wait until then, you're practically equal."

My only concern is, do schools choose to pick applications purely based on stats, or do they actually look at the date you were confirmed sending in your initial AMCAS. Thoughts? :confused:

bonoz

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone want to help me out with my PS? I have no idea how I can "update" it for the next cycle. PM me?

Thanks

angel20

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I agree with starting to plan now. Take a moment to reevaluate your application, then make a plan to improve the areas that need improvement. For example, if you've got a lower MCAT score, definitely consider retake (just be sure you're really ready before you do take it, a drop wouldn't look too good). If you've got a lower GPA, perhaps consider applying for post-bacc or master's programs. I think some schools have cut off days for applying at July 1, so you'll want to consider getting things ready for these IF you feel like you need to. If your GPA is solid, and post-bacc or master's isn't really something you don't want to do, then don't do it! Let's face it, spending a ton of money to get good grades to put on top of the grades you already have will not help that much. Trust me, I'd know, I've spoken with several adcom and advisers regarding this. Solid GPA from undergrad is effective enough.

Regarding the timing, I like that idea of setting a concrete date that YOU WILL RESUBMIT. Think about it, better to prepare ahead of time, find out you got in, then lose the money as opposed to hurting yourself for future reapplication. I feel like I've said it a bunch of times, but AMCAS doesn't open applications up to schools until June 25th (says it in red on their website). I spoke with someone at AMCAS over the phone, and flat out asked "Will waiting to submit until the 25th put me at a significant disadvantage?" Her response was, "No...no other student's application will have been made available until then, so if you wait until then, you're practically equal."

My only concern is, do schools choose to pick applications purely based on stats, or do they actually look at the date you were confirmed sending in your initial AMCAS. Thoughts? :confused:
it depends on the school. some schools are based on pure stats such as BU.
others might take into account if you apply early, I know GW is one of them.

noalias

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
BU stats based? Really? I figured they sent me a secondary because they send them to everyone. Low and behold, I didn't end up completing it because I thought I didn't have a decent shot. Ehh:smuggrin:

HateTheMCAT

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
BU stats based? Really? I figured they sent me a secondary because they send them to everyone. Low and behold, I didn't end up completing it because I thought I didn't have a decent shot. Ehh:smuggrin:

They do send their secondary to everyone I'm pretty sure.

drplease

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is my only MD waitlist. If I don't get in, I will be going to a DO school. In all honesty, I think the education will be largely the same but I do not look forward to future discrimination. However, I'll be more than happy to be a doctor. :)

turkaglew

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is my only MD waitlist. If I don't get in, I will be going to a DO school. In all honesty, I think the education will be largely the same but I do not look forward to future discrimination. However, I'll be more than happy to be a doctor. :)

you said it! id rather do DO than retake the MCAT. I wish i was smart enough to apply to DO schools last year...

GW is one of my two MD WLs and Im not holding my breath. I already resubmitted my AMCAS and am working on my aacomas. I just need a DO LOR...

jbru3423

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score

I am in the exact same position, and at this point will be attending a DO school (NYCOM). I too do not look forward to future discrimination, but I guess all things being considered it is not that bad of an option. I think it is probably a better option than going out of the country for the MD though.

NdNThunder

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just when we thought all hope was gone, I got the call this morning. I'm in! :) God is good. Stay hopeful guys, I was just in your shoes until 10am this morning.

noalias

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just when we thought all hope was gone, I got the call this morning. I'm in! :) God is good. Stay hopeful guys, I was just in your shoes until 10am this morning.
Congrats! Let's hope more are offered! Did you happen to send any updates to the adcom office? Silly question, but I'm totally wondering whether I need to start drafting up one.

IndigoBoy0

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Congrats NDN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! See you in August!!!!!!!!!! :D

Best of luck to everyone else! :luck:

NdNThunder

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Congrats! Let's hope more are offered! Did you happen to send any updates to the adcom office? Silly question, but I'm totally wondering whether I need to start drafting up one.

I sent about one update every 2 weeks mentioning what I've been doing to keep busy my last term of senior year. They all mentioned how GW was the right fit for me and vice-versa. My last update was regarding my grad and earning a 4.0 last term. I served as a RA my senior year, so two weeks ago my boss sent a LOR for me. Good luck! If the updates sound sincere to them, they should make an impact.

premedchelli

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Retaking MCATs -

I am in the same boat as a lot of you, wanting to apply early and pondering another MCAT...

I think if you already have an mcat score SUBMIT NOW!

Can't you send ANOTHER score in as an "update" later? I feel like at this point, your timing will matter more than your MCAT score because taking it in august means you don't get your score till september, putting you SIGNIFICANTLY behind.

noalias

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
In all likelihood, you'd be best to submit AMCAS with an MCAT retake date on the application. If you're considering of reapplying with the same score, then don't put a date for retake on it. You can always decide later that you do want to take it, in which case you would have to notify each school that you have applied to of the news.

I'm feeling the same stress. Wanted to do a retake first week of July, but not 100% sure so haven't even signed up for the test yet. I've been studying since the first of June, but mostly reviewing material rather than hardcore strategy practicing. If I can't do the first week of July test, then I'll have to push it back to mid-August due to a 2-week trip that'll keep me away from home until the first week of August. Don't think I'm going to be able to get more than a few hours a day to study, if that during the trip :scared:

Status
Not open for further replies.