gyms inside hospitals?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eyang22286

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
so i tried googling this and didn't have much luck. does anyone know the frequency of big teaching/training hospitals having any sort of gyms/weight rooms in them? i ask because you often see them on TV shows (ie scrubs), but i never really thought about whether or not that was um... normal

with all the craziness of 3rd, 4th year and residency, thought it might be convenient to possibly sneak in a half hour workout or so after a shift or something.

Members don't see this ad.

i'm curious about this as well. although back when i was volunteering at a hospital i'd just grab one of those dual IV pumps when there was nothing to do (ie 90% of the time) and start busting out curls.

Yeah, I'm curious was well. It would be swell to have a gym inside the hopsital.

Members don't see this ad :)
so i tried googling this and didn't have much luck. does anyone know the frequency of big teaching/training hospitals having any sort of gyms/weight rooms in them? i ask because you often see them on TV shows (ie scrubs), but i never really thought about whether or not that was um... normal

with all the craziness of 3rd, 4th year and residency, thought it might be convenient to possibly sneak in a half hour workout or so after a shift or something.

Frequency? I seem to recall when interviewing that maybe 5-10% of the places I looked at had something you would call a gym inside the hospital. Definitely a minority. Many more places, however, were close enough to the undergrad campuses to walk to the gym when off.

The only type of gyms most hospitals I've been in had were rehab centers.

You probably aren't going to want to bust out a couple of sets of squats or deadlifts between rounds.

Good question and the answers make me sad. Is it typical at most campuses that main campus gyms are only free to ugrads or is CA just stingy?

Anyway, check this out for a quick routine. I still haven't tried it, myself:

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46VoSA-9Xd8[/YOUTUBE]

We have one at the University of Toledo.

Good question and the answers make me sad. Is it typical at most campuses that main campus gyms are only free to ugrads or is CA just stingy?

Anyway, check this out for a quick routine. I still haven't tried it, myself:

huh? im pretty sure grad/med students here get free access to the gym

huh? im pretty sure grad/med students here get free access to the gym
Really? I don't think Davis gives membership to grad students...

Update: Nevermind. I'm an idiot.

FWIW, UC Davis MC has a gym.

Last edited:
For the 2 hospitals I've worked at (not large academic centers, but medium sized), both had gyms. I use to go workout with the doctors I was shadowing.

I work in a top ten hospital and we have a gym on the medical campus. I kinda find it hilarious that so many people work out in their scrubs and some even keep their scrub caps on... =/

I work in a top ten hospital and we have a gym on the medical campus. I kinda find it hilarious that so many people work out in their scrubs and some even keep their scrub caps on... =/

That's weird if I knew I was going to work out I'd prob just throw on a pair of gym shorts underneath my scrubs.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would love to work at a hospital with a basketball court. That would be awesome. At least a parking lot with a hoop like in scrubs.

i noticed this too... when i sneak a peek at their ID its usually some type of surgery resident :laugh:

Dartmouth Hitchcock Medical Center has one... they showed it to us on the tour.

Our gym prohibits scrubs, for two reasons.

1. There's no way for them to know you didn't just come from surgery or an infectious patient wearing those same scrubs
2. The material is horrible for working out, particularly for cardiovascular training where you run the risk of overheating.

3. You look like a huge f*cking tool.

Our gym prohibits scrubs, for three reasons.

Tulane just installed two: one for medical students only and one for residents only. You also get access to the gigantic undergrad gym, but the Ugad campus isn't all that close to the med school.
I wish that I had known about Tulane's post-bacc program before forking over $500 to secure a place at Georgetown's SMP.

Tulane sounds super!

Yeah, I said it. Super!

I wish that I had known about Tulane's post-bacc program before forking over $500 to secure a place at Georgetown's SMP.

Tulane sounds super!

Yeah, I said it. Super!

Big_Gay_Al_figure.jpg

well if a hospital doesn't have a gym, you can probably find a treadmill in the cardiac center. you might have to fight with a patient to use it though. :smuggrin:

although a gym is alluring I'm more interested in whether residents play basketball on down time like they do on scrubs. I think that would be an awesome and productive way to blow off some steam.

Our gym prohibits scrubs, for two reasons.

1. There's no way for them to know you didn't just come from surgery or an infectious patient wearing those same scrubs
2. The material is horrible for working out, particularly for cardiovascular training where you run the risk of overheating.

3. You look like a huge f*cking tool.

Our gym prohibits scrubs, for three reasons.

:laugh: