gyn surgery and 4th year sub I

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kid_B

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Good morning,

I am a third year female DO student. I came into medical school with ob-gyn in mind due to prior exposure in the area. However, my ob gyn rotation was scheduled during 3rd year for the end of the year (as in right now) and so I decided to do an elective I had earlier in ob-gyn. Unfortunately, my elective was not a good experience for me as I was paired with gynecology practice at the end of their career who had stopped delivering and as a result, majority of their practice were elderly well-woman exams. I also had at that time some time with an MFM who also didn't operate/deliver anymore and it turned out to be more of a shadowing/ultrasound experience. What was worse is that I was discouraged by several attendings and a fellow in the specialty from pursuing it. So at the time I crossed ob-gyn off my list. However, I am now in my actual core ob rotation and I love it! I love the gyn surgeries and the variety in the practice. So I have two questions before I change my mind back:

1) as a generalist ob-gyn, will I be able to do all the usual gyn surgeries plus some gyn onc and pelvic floor surgeries? I know these are separate subspecialties now but the ob-gyns I am working with do these surgeries.

2) my school has a very fixed 4th year schedule and tells us when we can take our electives.. unfortunately my first elective is in December. Seeing that I have already done 2 3rd year Ob-gyn rotations and achieved honors on both, how important is it that I do a subI?

FYI, I am planning to do the ACGME match. My USMLE step 1 was 233, average class rank. I have a publication in infertility from before med school. I also have a few other posters, case reports that I have done.

Members don't see this ad.