H & P

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bnichols0330

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

We are beginning to take history & physicals next week, and we were given a complete (12 page) list of items to cover. We then have to take our info and make a formal write up of our H&P to submit to our preceptor. I was planning on making my own checklist to make sure that I don't forget anything and that I can reproduce several copies so that each H&P I can write notes on it and then transfer it to my write-up. So my question is this: Is there already a checklist that I could print out, take notes on, and transfer easily to a formal written H&P or even better a Pocket PC program that would allow me to ask the questions, enter comments, and generate a report when I am done? Thanks for your help.

Members don't see this ad.

http://www.medfools.com/downloads/H_P_medicine.pdf

bnichols0330 said:
Hi,

We are beginning to take history & physicals next week, and we were given a complete (12 page) list of items to cover. We then have to take our info and make a formal write up of our H&P to submit to our preceptor. I was planning on making my own checklist to make sure that I don't forget anything and that I can reproduce several copies so that each H&P I can write notes on it and then transfer it to my write-up. So my question is this: Is there already a checklist that I could print out, take notes on, and transfer easily to a formal written H&P or even better a Pocket PC program that would allow me to ask the questions, enter comments, and generate a report when I am done? Thanks for your help.

Oh wow, that would have been helpful 3 days ago!

Thanks for next time!

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't worry. As you gain experience you will be able to transition to a blank piece of paper and still keep everything organized in your mind. (no shame in using pre-printed notes either -- I'm just saying that this will become second nature, whether you like it or not :)).

Mumpu said:
Don't worry. As you gain experience you will be able to transition to a blank piece of paper and still keep everything organized in your mind. (no shame in using pre-printed notes either -- I'm just saying that this will become second nature, whether you like it or not :)).

Isn't it amazing how easy it becomes? I remember having to use those forms when I was learning because I'd never remember the details. It took forever, too. Now, all I can do the whole H&P and write it up on a blank note sheet in a fraction of the time.

As a fourth year now I find it's actually EASIER with a blank piece of paper because looking for the damn box to check off slows me down, and then cramming extra history into the margin is a pain in the tookus! It's just icing on the cake that because the forms have to be general that important information pertinent to your specific case is sometimes not allotted space on your sheet...

Limited space and inflexibility is why I ditched pre-made forms on like my second day of medicine.