H Reflex

Started by tmh84
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

tmh84

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
How common is it to find an ulnar nerve H reflex on an adult 27 year old patient? Is it even possible?
 
How common is it to find an ulnar nerve H reflex on an adult 27 year old patient? Is it even possible?

The H-reflex is routinely only tested in the tibial nerve. It is the electrical equivalent of a deep tendon reflex and involves the impulse traveling orthodromically up the Ia afferent sensory fibers, stimulating the gamma-motor neuron and then traveling orthodromically down the motor nerve, hence theoretically you should be able to get it by stimulating any motor nerve that subserves a reflex. The ulnar nerve does not subserve a commonly tested reflex, hence I doubt it would be easy to get an H-reflex there.

Why do you ask? Did you manage to obtain one?
 
Thank you for your response. Actually I am a resident in training and I did get it on a patient while testing for the ulnar f wave. My attending who has been doing emgs for 25+ years retested it and got the same H reflex response. He than told me in all these years that was the first time he had seen one. I was considering getting it published and I am just trying to gather as much information as I can.
By the way do you know why children have H reflexes but adults tend to lose them?