h1n1 and ECMO

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Stitch

Jedi Ninja Wizard
Moderator Emeritus
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I was reading this article from Australia detailing some very sick patients with H1N1 who were placed on ECMO.

Is anyone else trying this where they are? We had one 13 year old previously healthy girl die on ECMO with flu, but haven't had to resort to it otherwise this year. What about other modalities such as high frequency? I know this stuff is more common in peds, but wondered if it's making its way into the adult world with the pandemic. Do you think we will be more aggressive with ARDS type issues throughout this season?

Thoughts?

Here's a report from Canada discussing the recent use of salvage therapies.

Members don't see this ad.

http://www.uihealthcare.com/news/news/2009/11/23respiratory_failure.html
Info on H1N1 from ELSO.

http://www.uihealthcare.com/news/news/2009/11/23respiratory_failure.html
Story about adult with presumed H1N1 placed on ECMO.

Our PICU has had a good number of H1N1 cases (though now on a downswing, fortunately) and multiple have been on HFOV and some on ECMO.

Speaking of ECMO and ELSO, one of our grand rounds features a doctor from (I think) Pitt who is big in ELSO. She mentioned how much growth ECMO has had in the adult world (from almost nothing not too long ago). High frequency seems fairly novel to the adult world as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry, not Pitt. Dr. Heidi Dalton who was at Children's National and is at Phoenix now. She's the one who spoke.

Oh she's very good! I worked with her when I spent time at CNMC as a medical student. Didn't know she was in Phoenix now. I'm basically wondering if this pandemic will open up adults to things we've been doing in peds (a change of pace!).

That story is wild though! The woman was extubated while on ECMO, walking and talking. Must have felt pretty weird.

So I was reading this article from Australia detailing some very sick patients with H1N1 who were placed on ECMO.

Is anyone else trying this where they are? We had one 13 year old previously healthy girl die on ECMO with flu, but haven't had to resort to it otherwise this year. What about other modalities such as high frequency? I know this stuff is more common in peds, but wondered if it's making its way into the adult world with the pandemic. Do you think we will be more aggressive with ARDS type issues throughout this season?

Thoughts?

Here's a report from Canada discussing the recent use of salvage therapies.

My $0.02:

At a major hospital (see profile for city), we've had quite a number of children placed on ECMO following H1N1. The rationale being severe respiratory distress. So far, we've followed about 6, 1 of whom passed away, 3 of whom recovered adequate respiratory function to be extubated and 2 of whom are still being monitored on ECMO.

The average duration on ECMO was 4.5 weeks, with ranges from 2 to 7 weeks. The patient who succumbed to his infection was on ECMO for 7 weeks. The cause of death was a combination of DIC and MultiOrgan System failure. His bleeding could not be controlled.

Overall, it seems to work for children requiring addition respiratory support with H1N1. Why some children have such catastrophic disease courses and others have milder remains very much a mystery. There has been no correlation between previous underlying respiratory dysfunction (CF, asthma) and disease severity. To the contrary, some of the children who eventually require ECMO were previously healthy, no PMH of any illness, certainly no respiratory illness or compromise prior. This was the case for the child we lost who was on ECMO x 7 weeks.

Occasionally some of these children progress to acquire a nosocomial MRSA superinfection that exacerbates the primary illness but even that did not seem to predict the severity of their respiratory compromise or disease. Some of these particular H1N1+MRSA PNA children actually did NOT require ECMO.

Is there an underlying genetic factor that underlies susceptibility to particularly malignant courses following H1N1 infection? Seems plausible at this point but can't find anything in the literature. Certainly seems to follow a certain demographic: younger, often previously healthy, often middle class.

Does ECMO independently affect disease course? I doubt it. But will probably need statistical analyses to definitively state (Mann Whitney U, Fischer's Exact) if this is the case.

Bottom line, if a patient has little to no respiratory function and sats keep dropping, ECMO is likely indicated.

Does is alter the disease course? Not likely

What risks may be involved? possible exacerbation of any coagulopathy

What if I decide not to use ECMO? the longer you delay the decision to commence, the more likely your patient is to suffer vital organ damage from poor oxygenation

Drawbacks for provider? Requires rigorous monitoring. Need q6hour thromboelastograms, heparin level monitoring, Antithrombin and platelet level monitoring and patient must be anticoagulated. May require Clinical Pathology consult as part of the team.

How do I know when to stop? When respiratory function improves

UPMC has an ICU seemingly filled with adults on ECMO right now...

dc

Work at Children's in Pittsburgh as an ECMO/VAD Tech, and we just finished a stretch with 3 different h1n1 kids on ECMO. Ours is a top center for mechanical support, however. We run 50 ECMO cases and maybe 10 vads each year, just at Children's.

What about other modalities such as high frequency? I know this stuff is more common in peds, but wondered if it's making its way into the adult world with the pandemic. Do you think we will be more aggressive with ARDS type issues throughout this season

It depends on how bad the ARDS is associated the H1N1, currently High Frequency and APRV are currently being studied for ARDS. I've seen Conventional ARDSNet ventilation, APRV, and the local tertiary center is using ECMO, Heliox, and HFOV depending on what the pt tolerates.

HFOV is going to be an issue in getting enough ventilators. Just last week we tried to put another pt on but the wait list just to get one was 4-5 days estimated, but our maquet's are capable of APRV which we've used once.

Ran across this one last month. Interesting twist.

We don't have ECMO for adults available in our shops. Our rescue therapies are proning and iNO. The university hospital has an oscillator, but it covered in dust and I'm not sure anyone knows how to use it.