Habitat for Humanity underserved?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CommyO

Membership Revoked
Removed
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I may be getting involved with a organization known as Habitat for Humanity and I was wondering since this is not directly dealing with underserved populations such as homeless, will it still be classified to adcoms as underserved?

To elaborate, my ECs would probably end up being research, habitat for humanity, and hospital volunteering. To put things into perspective, I have NO ECs as of yet and I just finished 2nd year. I would very much like to be involved with Habitat for Humanity more so than just for hours. Therefore, I would be open to doing homeless volunteering if I have the time.

Members don't see this ad.

H4H is a great service and I do recommend it, but you aren't really volunteering 'with' them. You are serving them, but you aren't getting to know their unique needs. It may be fine if you can articulate what you learned from it in regards to better serving those populations. You decide for yourself if it's worth it.

Chapters likely vary how they setup scheduling volunteers and homebuyers but I volunteer with our locally run chapter on a monthly basis and the homebuyers are building alongside the volunteers so we work directly with those that the effort is helping and going towards. I love it, it's cool each time I go to meet different home buyers and hear their story or how close they are to homeownership, what requirements they have to overcome, what it's taking to do that, etc. We're working together towards a common goal and I definitely feel that it's helping the underserved, at least in my local chapter.

Reactions: 1 user
Had a question related to this but didn't want to make a new thread. Similar to what OP was saying, while they homebuyers are sometimes helping build at the site, it is not direct interaction all the time. This is pretty much my only significant non-clinical EC, should I supplement with something more directly serving others? I love H4H and will continue but didn't know if only H4H would be viewed as insufficient by adcoms.