Had a doc compare Anesthesia money to garbage man wages last week...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MJB

Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Not kidding. This guy told me I was nuts to be looking into medicine because of "mediocre" wages...

Swore I should be a Chemical Engineer. I can't think of anything worse.

I think they have a skewed vision of CE's in India or something.

Sorry, it's off topic, but it struck me as odd.

Members don't see this ad.

MJB said:
Not kidding. This guy told me I was nuts to be looking into medicine because of "mediocre" wages...

Garbage men in larger cities often get paid very well for very short hours. And you have no student loans to pay back and no residency training period -- you can start earning right out of high school. Physicians tend to work some of the longest hours with the largest loans and longest ramp up in training before salary. Sure the MD will get more in the long run, but if you consider the per hour wage, the debt involved, and the time value of money that you didn't start earning from age 18 on through residency that you would as a garbage man, you might be the one surprised.

Yes, it goes along with the roofer that starts out of HS and never gets a college degree..that roofer at the age of 25 or 30 could potentially be much better off.

I guess I like the trade-off of knowing if I go into medicine, I can do it for quite some time...while manual labor is much more health restricted.

I just found it funny how they seem to think that the grass is greener...while I'm on the other side of the fence looking over and I think it's greener where they are! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
MJB said:
Yes, it goes along with the roofer that starts out of HS and never gets a college degree..that roofer at the age of 25 or 30 could potentially be much better off.

I guess I like the trade-off of knowing if I go into medicine, I can do it for quite some time...while manual labor is much more health restricted.

I just found it funny how they seem to think that the grass is greener...while I'm on the other side of the fence looking over and I think it's greener where they are! :)

A roofer can work much longer hours than a garbage man for the same $. In some cities garbageman is a 2 or 3 day (morning) a week job.

MJB said:

Hi there,
I am not sure why this opinion is bothering you. Wages in medicine may be "mediocre" compared to some professions or vocations. Wages of some CEOs are "mediocre" compared to some NBA stars. If money is your sole judge of a profession, medicine is likely going to come up short in today's market.

The bottom line about medicine/surgery is that the educational preparation is long and expensive. The training is long with very low wages and post residency salaries are dropping. There are likely many things that you can do that take a shorter and less expensive amount of prep that will pay higher wages faster if you are solely interested in making huge amounts of money quickly.

It's great that the folks who pick up garbage and chemical engineers are doing well. It's just that I would rather operate on them than compete with them from a wage standpoint. I guess I just like what I do no matter what I am paid. :confused:

njbmd :)

Who said it was bothering me?

I actually found it ridiculous...considering I've never met a garbage man (the laborers) that makes 300K a year.

If I wanted money, I'd go get a PhD in some boring science and stay in the field I'm in...

I want to actually like my job for once! :) Not overly concerned about money, but want to live comfortably.

I think the reason this has stuck with me is because of the "grass is always greener" thing...

This guy grew up in India, and medicine was his 3rd choice...

MJB said:
Who said it was bothering me?

I actually found it ridiculous...considering I've never met a garbage man (the laborers) that makes 300K a year.

If I wanted money, I'd go get a PhD in some boring science and stay in the field I'm in...

I want to actually like my job for once! :) Not overly concerned about money, but want to live comfortably.

I think the reason this has stuck with me is because of the "grass is always greener" thing...

haha...that one's funny. :)

MJB said:

I have heard docs talk like this before, too. seems they are burning out...

I don't find these types particularly inspiring people.

MJB said:

Is it safe to assume that his fourth choice will be in the trash removal field? :rolleyes: Kidding aside...I think that non-trads must not lose sight of the reason that they are pursuing the goal - one important aspect for many IS financial. Personally, I do not want to struggle after my efforts either (i.e. I agree with you - I want to be comfortable) - but I don't NEED to make bank to be happy. If someone ends up being bitter because of the enormous financial burden after school and residency - it might not be the right choice that person...especially the older non-trad who has less time to recover financially. It is tough to comment on this because once you mention m-o-n-e-y, people will label you as going into the field just for the cash. Many of us would do it pro-bono IF we could afford to, but it just isn't a realistic scenario for most. My 2 cents.

BozoSparky said:
haha...that one's funny. :)
Yea, I wondered about that comment too. Was he being facetious? good luck making bank with a PhD. Its just like people making the assumption that they'll make mad cash with a JD or MBA. Its not automatic.

In my industry, I'd make about double (and instead of 10% bonuses, I'd get like 35-50% bonuses) if I added a PhD...

I have no desire to do so, however. :) That being said, PhD is the only way to get past middle management levels.

I'm guessing I will end up in a primary care role, so if anyone thinks my main motivation is money, I'd have to disagree..

Right now, I just want in.

The cool thing was when I met this Doc, I was actually shadowing with a guy that went back to school at the age of 34 and got his DO (KU Med told him he was too old)...and has spent 23 years in the field enjoying life much more than he did in his CPA days...He's a great role model for a person like me...very similar situations.

I guess I'm just weird since it struck me as odd that a guy that is likely making at least a quarter-mill a year and plays a significant role in medicine is comparing himself to a garbage man. :)

And honestly, if I just wanted money, I'd stay where I'm at and continue to get raises, bonuses, etc...buy my boat and my lake cabin and live my life..

That's far too boring though.

MJB said:

Again, look at the per hour comparisons. Show me a garbage man who works 80 hours a week and I will show you one who earns a mint. It's not an accident that alleged organized crime took control of this industry in some regions.

Members don't see this ad :)
Law, what is the hang up?

The laborers around here are known to work 6 days a week, getting up and going to work at 5 or so...getting off at 2 or 3 if they don't have stay late...working in the heat/cold/rain/snow, etc...and if they make over 20-25 bucks an hour, I'd be surprised.

I just found it odd that he compared the two jobs is all.

My guess is that many gas passers make somewhere around 70 or 80 per hour of work...maybe a little less. If I can do that throwing trash, please show me where to sign up! :) I'll do it for a few years and save money to pay for med school.

MJB said:
Law, what is the hang up?

The laborers around here are known to work 6 days a week, getting up and going to work at 5 or so...getting off at 2 or 3 if they don't have stay late...working in the heat/cold/rain/snow, etc...and if they make over 20-25 bucks an hour, I'd be surprised.

I just found it odd that he compared the two jobs is all.

My guess is that many gas passers make somewhere around 70 or 80 per hour of work...maybe a little less. If I can do that throwing trash, please show me where to sign up! :) I'll do it for a few years and save money to pay for med school.

Around here they make better than 20/hr. If you extrapolate that out to 80 hour weeks, that comes to about 80k per year (and that's ignoring the 5-10k they can pull down in tips/grease money during the xmas month). And that's a job you can have at age 18, with no student loans.

My point is that you don't choose medicine for the money. And you don't dis the garbagemen of the world. :)

Especially in a 30 year old non-trad's case, you don't choose medicine for money.... :)

And I would never dis on a garbage man, but apparently this doc was....The way I look at it...they probably enjoy their job more than i currently enjoy mine!

Law2Doc said:
Garbage men in larger cities often get paid very well for very short hours. And you have no student loans to pay back and no residency training period -- you can start earning right out of high school. Physicians tend to work some of the longest hours with the largest loans and longest ramp up in training before salary. Sure the MD will get more in the long run, but if you consider the per hour wage, the debt involved, and the time value of money that you didn't start earning from age 18 on through residency that you would as a garbage man, you might be the one surprised.

Given the decline of unions and the rise of privatization, the garbage man or woman has no job security. and the non-pecuniary benefits of being a member of the professional class are obvious. What I'm saying is: garbage men work with garbage. They get no respect. They deal with everything that comes with being working class. When conversations like this start up it makes me think of this story Donald Trump's daughter tells of how her dad looked at a homeless man one day and told her he (homeless person) had more money than he (donald) had. I don't remember his exact logic but I do remember thinking he and his daughter were both probably going to go to hell one day. People get these ideas in their heads about certain kinds of laborers not working very hard and getting paid these really high wages. It's a fundamental lack of respect for our fellow man and the value of their labor. Sort of like when you disrespect the uncompensated labor of stay-at-home mothers. But hey, without exploitation, where would capitalism be? :thumbup:

MJB said:
And honestly, if I just wanted money, I'd stay where I'm at and continue to get raises, bonuses, etc...buy my boat and my lake cabin and live my life..

That's far too boring though.

I can relate. I was in a similar position (as are/were many of us non-trads) where I could have continued on, looking forward to the weekends, and acquiring more "stuff". But, for me, it just wasn't the answer.

Since changing direction, and scaling way back on my lifestyle, I've never been more happy. I can't wait to start MS1 in 3 weeks! It's a cool adventure, especially in the clinical years.

MiesVanDerMom said:
Given the decline of unions and the rise of privatization, the garbage man or woman has no job security. and the non-pecuniary benefits of being a member of the professional class are obvious. What I'm saying is: garbage men work with garbage. They get no respect. They deal with everything that comes with being working class. When conversations like this start up it makes me think of this story Donald Trump's daughter tells of how her dad looked at a homeless man one day and told her he (homeless person) had more money than he (donald) had. I don't remember his exact logic but I do remember thinking he and his daughter were both probably going to go to hell one day. People get these ideas in their heads about certain kinds of laborers not working very hard and getting paid these really high wages. It's a fundamental lack of respect for our fellow man and the value of their labor. Sort of like when you disrespect the uncompensated labor of stay-at-home mothers. But hey, without exploitation, where would capitalism be? :thumbup:

Garbagemen have total job security because everyone generates tons of garbage weekly, it's a job no one else wants to do, and no one is going to ever haul their own garbage to the dump. Cities like NYC which have had garbage strikes can assure you that this is an essential component of normal life. They perhaps get no respect, but in some places are paid quite decently. I'm not sure why discussing this is disrespectful to fellow men or the value of their labor.

Donald Trump for a time in the 1980s was bankrupt and owed several hundred million dollars to creditors. As such, any homeless person who owed nothing to anyone was significantly more solvent than him. So the reported statement was totally accurate, albeit disrespectful. The average homeless person at that time had several hundred million more than The Donald. The key difference was that no one was willing to give a homeless person additional investment leverage in hopes of a turn-around. The banks gave Trump the money he needed to effect a turn around, and he got very very lucky that the real estate market rebounded at the right time. (It's often better to be lucky than good).

Law2Doc said:
Around here they make better than 20/hr. If you extrapolate that out to 80 hour weeks, that comes to about 80k per year (and that's ignoring the 5-10k they can pull down in tips/grease money during the xmas month). And that's a job you can have at age 18, with no student loans.

My point is that you don't choose medicine for the money. And you don't dis the garbagemen of the world. :)
There was a frontpage story in my local paper (biggest city in TX ;) ) last yr--maybe 2 yrs??--about how a bus driver for the public transportation org. made over 100k that year!! The guy had been there for over a decade and had seniority so he got to work whenever he wanted and worked about 80hrs/wk for the whole year. Thought that was pretty cool--can't imagine sitting on my dairy-air for 80hrs/wk driving a friggin' bus. Give that man his money.

Incidentally he had been married like 4 or 5 times and just went through a divorce that yr-he cited all his time at work as the main reason for his marital probs. Also he didn't make less than 85k the previous 3 yrs.

Law2Doc said:
Donald Trump for a time in the 1980s was bankrupt and owed several hundred million dollars to creditors. As such, any homeless person who owed nothing to anyone was significantly more solvent than him. So the reported statement was totally accurate, albeit disrespectful. The average homeless person at that time had several hundred million more than The Donald. The key difference was that no one was willing to give a homeless person additional investment leverage in hopes of a turn-around. The banks gave Trump the money he needed to effect a turn around, and he got very very lucky that the real estate market rebounded at the right time. (It's often better to be lucky than good).

This is exactly correct - his debt to equity was crazy. Things turned around for him just in time. Another year of depressed real estate values in NYC, and someone else would have been hosting The Apprentice.

MiesVanDerMom said:
But hey, without exploitation, where would capitalism be? :thumbup:
Yes much better for everyone to be equally poor than have everyone unequally rich.

The gas man in question is a whiner, who is comparing himself to his more successful peers and needs to get a reality check. Satisfaction from income is more about how we feel relative to others rather than absolute amount. I work with people in manufacturing who have no real skills (they are skilled trades) yet make +80K/year and think they are underpaid... they think I make so much more than them, only because I dress well, have advanced education, and enunciate my words. While the Dr. may feel underpaid while sitting around comparing himself to everyone at the country club who works less and makes more, he needs to head on down to the watering hole where the "well-paid" garbage men hang out to realize how well he is doing. Besides like everyone has already stated, thanks to our exploitative capitalistic system, he has the freedom to go and do whatever he wants as the labor supply/demand situation ebbs and flows... or he can just sit around complaining about how unfair the world is. Either way he chose/chooses his own destiny.

MJB said:

Sometimes you'll run across disenchanted physicians. Unfortunately, this physician probably doesn't know what it's like to be a garbage man. My husband and I have a friend who is a garbage man, and while it's not rocket science, it's a decent job. He pulls in about 80K a year (has been doing it for about 10 years). He didn't marry until two years ago and has been investing in real estate and the stock market for years. He lives in a $380K home (we helped him move in this time last year) in a posh suburb. He drives a new car, not luxury, but nice. His wife had a baby a year ago and she doesn't work. They are doing very well for themselves.

And in this area, garbage men have no worries about job security. I see the amount of trash piled in our neighborhood on Monday morning and there's NO way they would be out of a job.

MJB said:
In my industry, I'd make about double (and instead of 10% bonuses, I'd get like 35-50% bonuses) if I added a PhD...

I have no desire to do so, however. :) That being said, PhD is the only way to get past middle management levels.

I'm guessing I will end up in a primary care role, so if anyone thinks my main motivation is money, I'd have to disagree..

Right now, I just want in.

The cool thing was when I met this Doc, I was actually shadowing with a guy that went back to school at the age of 34 and got his DO (KU Med told him he was too old)...and has spent 23 years in the field enjoying life much more than he did in his CPA days...He's a great role model for a person like me...very similar situations.

I guess I'm just weird since it struck me as odd that a guy that is likely making at least a quarter-mill a year and plays a significant role in medicine is comparing himself to a garbage man. :)

i think you are in the same field I am in? SLP?

As a former PhD student - the program director made $110K. He's a full professor, has been a professor for 30 years. New associate profs make $55 average, working 60 hours a week (push to publish!). Not sure about bonuses.

I make $80K a year in private practice, working about 60 hours a week. A Ph.D. is not all it's cracked up to be, which is why I'm going the medicine route.

I'm with you though on wanting to do a job that you're passionate about. I praise the Lord that if I end up in primary care, I'll only have to spend 20-30 minutes max with a problem patient rather than the full 60 minutes with spoiled children and whiny adults I do now. If I end up in a diagnostic specialty, all the better. I'd like to spend some time with less patient contact for a change, AND be in charge (so to speak).

Okay, thinking about this whole garbage man thing, my question is do any of us have any clue of how to become a garbage man? I don't, and I'm assuming that if it's as great as some of the posters here are saying, you have to have some pretty serious garbage man connections to score that job. Consequently, lots of us probably couldn't do it even if we wanted to because our parents were doctors, lawyers, professors, whatever, and not garbage men.

Here in Portland, dockworkers supposedly make $80k+ for their work, but you pretty much have to be the kid of a dockworker to get into that gig. It's probably significantly easier for me to get into medical school than to become a dockworker here with my lack of dockworker connections. If being a garbage man is as lucrative, I'm going it would be equally as difficult to do that as to be a dockworker. Also, since organized crime supposedly controls the whole garbage business in east coast cities, that throws a whole other barrier to entry for us non-mobster types. :eek:

Anyway, from what I've seen with my job where I saw tons of salaries all throughout the US, this country is full of people who make $10/hour or less after years of being at a company. Sure, it's a living wage, but no one making doctor wages has any right to b&tch, even with our gigantic loan burden.

I made more money as a chiropractor than I ever have as a GP DO.

I am much happier now but the money sure has changed!

Waste Management was hiring and my friend applied. Simple. He didn't make 80K to start - like I said in my last post he's been working there 10 years now. Not sure about connections.

I wouldn't be a garbage man unless it paid 200K. I'm looking forward to becoming a physician and doing what I want.

Law2Doc said:
Exactly. It's actually the white collar world where connections make the bigger difference. Everyone else uses the want ads.

Maybe for the lucrative jobs (CEO, CFO, etc.) but in medicine there are still jobs that anyone has a shot at (FP!).

Sometimes having connections is a good thing, especially if the person who praises you is really good at his/her job. That can say a lot about you.

However, there are instances where "connections" run too far. Living outside Chicago I know this ALL too well, and people are starting to pay for it (hired truck scandal, etc.). Always follow the $$$.

Law2Doc said:
Exactly. It's actually the white collar world where connections make the bigger difference. Everyone else uses the want ads.

I don't think that's true with union jobs, though. You have to know how to join the union, and connections can help you there. As I mentioned above, you definitely need connections to be a dockworker in Portland. With jobs like plumbing and carpentry, you need to do an apprenticeship, so you might need an in for that one, too. So, yes, you do just apply for lots of blue collar job, but those aren't usually the ones that pay $50k+ -- look in your local classifieds for reference.

MVDMom pointed out the real truth earlier anyway in that garbage collectors work with garbage. That in and of itself makes it seem like not such a wonderful position.

exlawgrrl said:
MVDMom pointed out the real truth earlier anyway in that garbage collectors work with garbage. That in and of itself makes it seem like not such a wonderful position.

Well, physicians work with vommit, sputim, feces, bile, parasites and a whole host of other unpleasantness, so I'm not sure that's a strong distinction. :laugh:
Refuse wouldn't be my ideal job, but would not be an irrational career choice for some.
FYI, In general it is quite easy to join a union -- they survive on numbers and dues and so are very quick to sign folks up. I actually almost joined one once just to get cheaper health insurance.

Law2Doc said:
Well, physicians work with vommit, sputim, feces, bile, parasites and a whole host of other unpleasantness, so I'm not sure that's a strong distinction. :laugh:
Refuse wouldn't be my ideal job, but would not be an irrational career choice for some.
FYI, In general it is quite easy to join a union -- they survive on numbers and dues and so are very quick to sign folks up. I actually almost joined one once just to get cheaper health insurance.

Yep, I wouldn't kick my husband out of bed for being a garbageman. In fact, he's a mechanic (not a union mechanic - he works for a living :laugh: ) and I still don't kick him out of bed.

ACK!

I'm not sure where this anesthesiologist vs. garbageman thing came from, but please do not be the sort of physician that complains about their wages. Yes, you give up years of your life. Yes you work long hours.

But please. Go to a garbageman as a physician and say, "Hey, Sal, you got the job, boy! I wish I made as much as you." This being out of touch with how most of the world lives is why so many folks resent doctors.

Just for the $hits and giggles, let's assume a garbageman at 18 starts off on $100,000/year and earns it til he's 48 years. Now lets assume a physician makes no money at 18 and doesn't for 8 years. Then assume he makes $40/year for four years of residency. Then assume he makes $200k for until he's 48.

By this time the doctor will have made $660K more. That's a lot of student loans. And a short career. And a well-paid garbageman.

Please don't complain about salary. It's a good gig. Really.

notdeadyet said:
ACK!

I'm not sure where this anesthesiologist vs. garbageman thing came from, but please do not be the sort of physician that complains about their wages. Yes, you give up years of your life. Yes you work long hours.

But please. Go to a garbageman as a physician and say, "Hey, Sal, you got the job, boy! I wish I made as much as you." This being out of touch with how most of the world lives is why so many folks resent doctors.

Just for the $hits and giggles, let's assume a garbageman at 18 starts off on $100,000/year and earns it til he's 48 years. Now lets assume a physician makes no money at 18 and doesn't for 8 years. Then assume he makes $40/year for four years of residency. Then assume he makes $200k for until he's 48.

By this time the doctor will have made $660K more. That's a lot of student loans. And a short career. And a well-paid garbageman.

604.gif

notdeadyet said:
ACK!

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

notdeadyet said:
ACK!

You've neglected interest on the garbage man's "disposable" income (sorry for the pun -- I couldn't resist). If the garbage man invests wisely in this scenario, the MD never catches up. :)

Is this some kind of a joke ?? The highest averages for a garbage man is $45k.

For every garbage man making $100k/year there is a physician making $1+ million/year. 18yo making 100k my ass.

beastmaster said:

For every garbage man making $100k/year there is a physician making $1+ million/year. 18yo making 100k my ass.

You have to do by hour comparisons, since the hours for these two jobs are not close to the same. A garbage man may earn only $45k, but he works very part time hours. To get to $100k, you would need to extrapolate a garbageman's hourly wage out to an 80 hour work week.

Sure, here you go. Statistics from bls.gov

Occupation-----------------Mean Hourly Wage

Anesthesiologist--------------- $84
Garbage Collector-------------- $13

LOL

beastmaster said:
Sure, here you go. Statistics from bls.gov

Occupation-----------------Mean Hourly Wage

Anesthesiologist--------------- $84
Garbage Collector-------------- $13

LOL

That sure aint a big city union member garbage man. They make twice that here. And at that average hourly rate, they are saying the AVERAGE anesthesiologist makes $300k a year. Doesn't sound right.

I think the OP encountered a disgruntled MD.

I can't believe people are still debating this. There are a lot who go into medicine for the $$, but obviously it's not the only reason, otherwise there would be a lot more people doing shift work for much less pay with much less responsibility.

Please, if you think the garbagemen have it so easy, then go be one. They do make a decent living, but for those of us that actually *want* to go into medicine, the job satisfaction just isn't there.

Count on SDN to have an endless stream of physician vs. all other sorts of jobs where people have it "easier" for equal or better compensation per hour.

Law2Doc said:
That sure aint a big city union member garbage man. They make twice that here. And at that average hourly rate, they are saying the AVERAGE anesthesiologist makes $300k a year. Doesn't sound right.

The only fair comparisons are averages from a common source. If we start getting into geographical differences and your personal stories and anecdotes about $100k garbage men then refer to my statement 2 posts back. And yes anesthesiologists currently do have that kind of earning power.

Law2Doc said:
You've neglected interest on the garbage man's "disposable" income (sorry for the pun -- I couldn't resist). If the garbage man invests wisely in this scenario, the MD never catches up. :)

Good post and great pun LOL! I agree that IF said garbage man makes 100,K per year and invests wisely that the MD might not ever catch up. Time Value of Money - it is what it is. BUT then again, if it were all about the $, many of us wouldn't even be here would we?

beastmaster said:
Not a joke, I'm just erring WAY on the side of giving the benefit of the doubt.

VERY few garbagemen pull in $100K a year. Some unions are this strong, but very few. VERY few garbagemen can pull in 80 hour weeks whenever they want.

This is just similar to the "you can make $200K in your first year with an MBA argument". Sure, you CAN. But odds are very good that you won't.

For those who think these blue collar jobs are such sweat deals, I'd recommend trying one. It's usually $hit. Those with great hours and great money (read: a great union) are hard to get in to.

Law2Doc said:
I know two garbagemen and they say the biggest perk of the job is the hours. The union contract doesn't allow for much in the way of overtime.

I agree that the anethesiologist number seems high. Average working hours per week I last saw for an anesthesiologist was about 63 hours/week. That brings it to $275K/year. Seems high.

notdeadyet said:
ACK!

FINALLY...someone understands what I was thinking...I just looked at this doc DUMBFOUNDED...

What's even nuttier is that he supposedly grew up in poverty, or near it, in India...

Just one more Gas Passer I will never allow near me when I'm on the table!

Law2Doc, you seem REALLY stuck on this whole rich garbage man thing...I would have to say that it is the norm for them to make less than 50K a year working at least 2080 hours (full time)....just a guess, however.

This thread went nowhere near the direction I thought it would go...

Even hearing Residents piss and moan about "only" making 40K a year makes me chuckle...

Lots of people would like to make that much...(and yes, I realize those same people don't have 8 years of post HS education under their belts).