had a question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anxietypeaker

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey, im a premed so i dont know much. Had a question though, FP is more about outpatient i understand. Does that mean if i have a patient who had a stroke or chest pain and was admitted into the hospital, id hand them over to a pediatrician/IM? What is the norm? Does malpractice increase if you do?

Members don't see this ad.

Many FP's have admitting privileges at hospitals, so they follow their patients in the hospital while they are admitted. If they don't have privileges they either admit their patients under a doctor they have an agreement with or a hospitalist (a doc who only does inpatient work in the hospital).

i see. Do FPs tend to follow their patients anyways though? Whats the norm? In other words, what do FPs tend to want to do...follow the patient or transfer them to a hospitalist/IM/etc?

Members don't see this ad :)
anxietypeaker said:
Do FPs tend to follow their patients anyways though? Whats the norm?

64% of family physicians admit patients to the hospital. The percentage of FPs doing hospital medicine varies by region, with the greatest numbers (80%) in the West North Central U.S. and the lowest numbers (55%) in the South Atlantic and Pacific regions. It's really up to you to decide whether you want to do hospital medicine or not. Source

wow, great post. Thanks for the source. Yea, i guessed it was up to the FP phys. Just was curious if FPs liked doing it or not. Yes i know. Im only a premed. sorry. ;)

anxietypeaker said:
i see. Do FPs tend to follow their patients anyways though? Whats the norm? In other words, what do FPs tend to want to do...follow the patient or transfer them to a hospitalist/IM/etc?

The nice thing about FM is that you really can do what you want. Before hospitalists and internist, the GP of the past really did have to do it all. Now you get to choose. Some people are attracted to FM because they can focus on outpatient care, others because they have the flexibility to make their patient care as broad as their training and experience allows.

i thought i might list examples of what our 3rd yr FP residency class is going to do when they leave in June for the premed guy.

traditional group practice (in/out patient)-3
hospitalist-1
hospice fellowship-1
emergency medicine-1
sports med fellowship-1
outpatient only-1
faculty position-1
urgent care/out patient practice-1

dr.smurf said:
i thought i might list examples of what our 3rd yr FP residency class is going to do when they leave in June for the premed guy.

hospitalist-1
hospice fellowship-1
emergency medicine-1
sports med fellowship-1
outpatient only-1
faculty position-1

That's so cool!

Anyone else?

yes, i am the premed guy. lol. thanks for the reference and the numbers. anyone else wanna say what theyre plans are...i think thats pretty cool to post them...:)

dr.smurf said:

hospitalist-1
hospice fellowship-1
emergency medicine-1
sports med fellowship-1
outpatient only-1
faculty position-1

Is the emergency med guy doing a fellowship?