Had to repeat a year, what are my chances? Step included.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

quantobene

Reaction score
Had to repeat MS1, DO student. Step score 238 ± 2. Is Anesthesia, Gen Surg, Rads, or Academic IM impossible?

Members don't see this ad.

Had to repeat MS1, DO student. Step score 238 ± 2. Is Anesthesia, Gen Surg, Rads, or Academic IM impossible?
Need more info regarding the reason for repetition (which could range from getting caught cheating on an exam, to convalescing from psychiatric issues, to family problems, etc.).

Short answer: no, but there is more to applications than step score. A promising narrative of your year repetition is compulsory no matter what.

Not impossible, but the repetition will need to be addressed.

For what it’s worth I knew someone who remediated a year and then matched an ultra competitive specialty. He had to explain the issue (grades) and how he overcame it. The rest of his application was strong.

Members don't see this ad :)
All possible. GS may be a bit difficult, but Gas and Academic IM definitely.

As others note, you have to explain what happened. Whenever anyone sees disparate performance such as high step plus failed year, the immediate thought is mental illness and/or substance abuse.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user
I personally know several who remediated and still matched anesthesiology. Probably possible for other specialties but in community programs most likely. Need to turn it into a positive, I stumbled, picked myself up and I’m killing it now. Personally I would view this as resiliency and a strong positive in a resident rather than a negative part of the application. And we’ve had a few residents match in both urology and obgyn at my institution with this happening to them.

As others note, you have to explain what happened. Whenever anyone sees disparate performance such as high step plus failed year, the immediate thought is mental illness and/or substance abuse.
Why is that the immediate assumption?

Why is that the immediate assumption?
Just that it's been true in so many cases that it's a knee jerk reaction by now. It does make sense when you think about it - what would cause a student to fail and have to repeat a year only to turn around and bang out a step score higher than 80% of students in the country? There just aren't many other things that cause this. If someone failed a year and then came back and scored a 210 or something, it would be much easier to think they simply had some study skills issues that got worked out.