Haha

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted850921

EDITED for privacy

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
If it was a large part of your hours, it makes sense to include it on your application. Is there another person you could put as your contact, like some other manager that could attest to your hours who isn't family? If not, adcoms know that family businesses exist so it the possibility of lying isn't going to sink your app.

Reactions: 1 user
Don't see why it would be a problem. You could just mention it's a family business if you're worried. Don't know how significant the hours issue will be though - maybe an adcom can chime in. I was planning on putting my dad as the contact for my previous job (worked at family pizza shop).

Members don't see this ad :)
Are your parents the owners? Do they have a manager? If one of the other employees needed to cite somebody, they would more likely put the manager than the owner, so that may be something that works for you.

It certainly won't be held against you as there's nothing wrong with working in the family business and/or helping your parents at work. That's a good thing. But, there will be a "friends and family discount" applied to your work because AdComs know you can exaggerate your hours or responsibilities freely and that family will back up your story, no matter how implausible.

In other words - there's no harm in having it, but make sure it's not all you have.

Reactions: 1 user
Absolutely put it on your application. It has been a big part of your life - If I were on your admissions committee, I would definitely appreciate someone putting so much time into the family business.

No shame here - I know a fellow med student who, after graduation and residency, will be taking over the family practice. Though yours may not be medical related - it is showing that you care.

I would put this as paid employment, you just got paid in housing, food, tuition, etc. But I don't know if there is one correct answer to address this.