Hand Cramps?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ACSurgeon

Acute Care Surgeon
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
My summer research involves animal surgery, and my hands cramped up during a few of the surgeries while holding the scalpel blade (dissecting muscle off bone) and while holding the forceps. I am between M1 and M2, so I don't know for sure that I want to do surgery, but i am wondering if:

- I am holding the instruments wrong in a way that could make my hands cramp?

- there exercises to strengthen your hand muscles?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

My summer research involves animal surgery, and my hands cramped up during a few of the surgeries while holding the scalpel blade (dissecting muscle off bone) and while holding the forceps. I am between M1 and M2, so I don't know for sure that I want to do surgery, but i am wondering if:

Perhaps. More likely you are simply not used to tensing the small muscles of your hand or are holding the instruments in a less than ergonomic fashion.

Thanks

The dirty jokes you'll get from the guys notwithstanding, there isn't much that repetition won't do.

Perhaps. More likely you are simply not used to tensing the small muscles of your hand or are holding the instruments in a less than ergonomic fashion.

I guess, we have a few more surgeries, and I will try to find a more ergonomic method.

The dirty jokes you'll get from the guys notwithstanding, there isn't much that repetition won't do.

I guess I forgot which forum I am posting in... I'll make it easier for them and give them options
1):thumbup:
2):thumbdown:

:laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
Wait till you have to hold Senn retracters your 3rd year. THen you'll know hand cramps! :smuggrin:

I still get hand cramps, especially in the thenar region, and more especially when using deBakeys in a thyroid case after just having retracted with the Rich retractors the whole case in an ex lap. It sux big time, I tell you.

kaos, you aren't getting cramps, you're symptomatic of early Basilar Joint Arthritis. Learn to work without pinching so much and you'll save your CMC.

kaos, you aren't getting cramps, you're symptomatic of early Basilar Joint Arthritis. Learn to work without pinching so much and you'll save your CMC.

:eek::scared:

Thanks

Make sure that your gloves are not too tight. You may need to go up a 1/2 size to be sure that you are not compromising the circulation to your hands. Gloves tend to get tighter as the case wears on so going up a little larger is likely not to hinder you too much. Also, if you double-glove, put the larger sized glove on the inside and make sure the outside glove is big enough to accommodate both your hands and the larger glove.

Thanks to everybody for the useful tips. We won't be operating for another month or so, but I will try what was suggested here. Thanks.

Potassium. Eat a few bananas before you operate and make sure you stay hydrated.

If you are only going into second year this year, you can prepare all year long for third year. When you have any free time this year, just grab a hold of a door handle and pull as hard as you can, get someone to tie a blind fold over your eyes, have someone else scream "Suction, I need suction" at you, and then ask you complex anatomy/patient post-op care question at the same time. That will prepare you for third year. You will shine!

if You Are Only Going Into Second Year This Year, You Can Prepare All Year Long For Third Year. When You Have Any Free Time This Year, Just Grab A Hold Of A Door Handle And Pull As Hard As You Can, Get Someone To Tie A Blind Fold Over Your Eyes, Have Someone Else Scream "suction, I Need Suction" At You, And Then Ask You Complex Anatomy/patient Post-op Care Question At The Same Time. That Will Prepare You For Third Year. You Will Shine!

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

If you are only going into second year this year, you can prepare all year long for third year. When you have any free time this year, just grab a hold of a door handle and pull as hard as you can, get someone to tie a blind fold over your eyes, have someone else scream "Suction, I need suction" at you, and then ask you complex anatomy/patient post-op care question at the same time. That will prepare you for third year. You will shine!

It wasn't a matter of trying to shine, but more a worry that I have a problem with my hands that might come between me and becoming a surgeon. I am NOT sure that I want to do surgery, but I like to know that it is still an option... I'll deal with 3rd year when it comes

spit.gif

Why did you capitalize almost every word in that quote? :confused:

Because when an attending talks, each word is just that important?