Hand Talking and Zoom

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

grilledcheese

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've always been a person who gestures while I speak. When I recorded myself for interview practice I realized I can either show my hands in the camera frame or keep them under the table. Is one preferable to the other? When I watched myself back I didn't think the hands were too distracting but I want to know if one would be more appropriate than others.

Members don't see this ad.

We have wait listed, instead of accepted outright, people who used hand gestures so much that it wasn't just distracting, it was annoying.

So I suggest that you find a way to control it.

• Wow
Reactions: 4 users
How annoying hand gestures are will depend on the frequency, magnitude, and appropriateness of the gestures. That is hard to judge without seeing you. I would have a few people from your kitchen cabinet watch your recorded interviews--people whom you trust and encourage to be brutally honest--and get their opinion(s). If they find your gestures to be anything other than a positive addition, I would minimize them. IMHO Your first rule of thumb in this area should be: do no harm.

Reactions: 1 users