This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chillornah

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I know it's very important to have skilled hands as a dentist.
And I think I do- I've done a lot of arts and crafts, sketching, etc.

*But if the problem is not with skill but rather with occasional pain (forearm, back of hand) how would this translate into practicing dentistry in the future?* Has anyone had this type of pain? Maybe a nagging soreness with soft peaks? *How taxing is dentistry on the hands, really?* Can you draw any comparisons?

I got into a 7 yr BS\DMD program and have to choose to either go there or a traditional 4 yr college by this weekend!
I'm also quite sure that if I'm physically capable, I would be happy to have dentistry as my career.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Frankly that's the nature of the profession. You will have to do what you can to make sure those hands last you 20, 30, 40+ years.

It is not uncommon for dentists to quit the profession early because of carpal tunnel and lower back pain.

Reactions: 1 user
Do some forearm exercises and keep your back straight or you will regret it!

You could still transition to absentee ownership and focus on the managerial end of things. Having your hands go bad isn't necessarily a dead end.

Dentistry is extremely taxing on the body. I'm young and only 3 years out and have weird pains. I know alot of older docs with a "slump" in their back when they walk.

Not only do your eyesight go blind from the curing lights, your back gives out, your hands dexterity decreases as we age, our hearing begins to deafen from the drill etc etc etc.

Ironically it keeps me in great shape. If I don't work out everyday on my core or back or abs, I DO feel more pain doing dentistry.

It's physically demanding. Don't underestimate it.

Reactions: 1 users
You could still transition to absentee ownership and focus on the managerial end of things. Having your hands go bad isn't necessarily a dead end.
Academia/Research is always an option too!

Reactions: 1 users
I tweak my wrists often and this is a major concern. I feel though with proper preventative care/treatment I can overcome it. I also feel yoga (ensuring to evenly distribute weight and avoiding positions you know cause stress) and other forearm workouts help.
As for if this will be a deciding factor...I don't know and probably wont for years. Right now, I just do what I can!