vcast

You just never know ...
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 26, 2004
Miami, FL
Status (Visible)
Hey Everyone!!

I was wondering if anyone had any advice or hints on how to gain hands on experience while still being an undergrad?

Shadowing is great and everything but I would like to actually do more than just ask a ton of questions and barely see the procedure because the dentists hands are in the way.

Im not really interested in taking classes to actually become a dental assistant but I would love to do more than observe ... even if its minute stuff like x-rays and handling the tools.

Let me know people!!!

Vanessa :p

HangOnSloopy

Your mom goes to college
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 24, 2004
Ohio
Status (Visible)
the dentist I shadow taught me how to develop xrays and lets me pour models, I'm getting pretty good at it and its definately something I am gonna need down the road.

The Musketeer

Guardian of Justice
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 24, 2004
Cleveland (ON, Can)
Status (Visible)
  1. Dentist
I guess you just have to go to various dental offices and ask around. I am lucky because I was able to find a dentist who allow me to assist him on restoration and extraction procedures. The ability to sit right beside the patient enables me to observe every step in great detail! It is a wonderful experience if you do get a chance to assist!

If you have a dental school around your area, sometimes they do get volunteers to help out in the clinic, so maybe try your luck there!

Good Luck!

About the Ads
This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.