Hands on Experience while still an undergrad?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vcast

You just never know ...
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Everyone!!

I was wondering if anyone had any advice or hints on how to gain hands on experience while still being an undergrad?

Shadowing is great and everything but I would like to actually do more than just ask a ton of questions and barely see the procedure because the dentists hands are in the way.

Im not really interested in taking classes to actually become a dental assistant but I would love to do more than observe ... even if its minute stuff like x-rays and handling the tools.

Let me know people!!!

Vanessa :p

Members don't see this ad.

the dentist I shadow taught me how to develop xrays and lets me pour models, I'm getting pretty good at it and its definately something I am gonna need down the road.

I guess you just have to go to various dental offices and ask around. I am lucky because I was able to find a dentist who allow me to assist him on restoration and extraction procedures. The ability to sit right beside the patient enables me to observe every step in great detail! It is a wonderful experience if you do get a chance to assist!

If you have a dental school around your area, sometimes they do get volunteers to help out in the clinic, so maybe try your luck there!

Good Luck!

Thanks for your comments people!!!

:D