Haploid sperm cell can fertilize a Meiosis 1 daughter cell? Bio T/F question, DAT Destroyer

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gunacaik

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Happy new year everybody. What better way to celebrate the new year than doing some DAT Destroyer problems?

This is from the Bio section of DAT Destroyer, 2016 version. Problem #563. It gives two statements and asks T/F. I will include only the one statement I'm not sure about (the other statement is true without a doubt).

The statement reads:

If non-disjunction occurs during Meiosis 1 of anaphase, a trisomy or monosomy can occur b/c one daughter cell may retain both replicated chromosomes, while the other daughter cell lacks the chromosome. This would imply that haploid sperm cell can fertilize either cell resulting in a monosomy or trisomy.

I had wrote down Statement 1 is false, Statement 2 is true--the actual answer is that they're both true. Either means one or the other, not four. The wording makes it seem like it's saying the sperm cell can fertilize the daughter cells of Meiosis 1, when really it should be Meiosis 2, correct?

Any help would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I believe meiosis II occurs after fertilization in the fallopian tube therefore the sperm would first have to fertilize the daughter cell of meiosis 1 and then meiosis II will occur. Correct me if I'm wrong please

Yea meiosis 2 occurs once the sperm fertilizes the egg. However it could also be cause either the cell with monosomy or the trisomy could form the polar body so both have an equal chance.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I believe meiosis II occurs after fertilization in the fallopian tube therefore the sperm would first have to fertilize the daughter cell of meiosis 1 and then meiosis II will occur. Correct me if I'm wrong please
Yea meiosis 2 occurs once the sperm fertilizes the egg. However it could also be cause either the cell with monosomy or the trisomy could form the polar body so both have an equal chance.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Thanks guys

Found this. Explains it if needed.
slide_44.jpg

Reactions: 1 user