Happy Birthday to me...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
market really is different today. i have a great job dont get me wrong but i constantly look at the job market as a back up just in case. 2 years ago i knew i could get a job on the spot anywhere anytime. today, i would have difficulties finding a staff job anywhere. pharmacy market has taken a 180 degree turn and it will never recover in our life time regardless of economy. the best analogy really is the JD situation...too many damn lawyers.. well guess what... too many damn pharmacists..

and we havent seen the full impact of diploma mill pharmds spilling out yet. you think job market is bad today...wait 2 to 3 years..

i hope im wrong. and i will gladly eat crow. but new schools and the bastard educators screwed all of us for good.
 
Mike,

Sometimes it takes a few weeks for the HR people to actuallly get things processed, I wouldn't get too concerned until you haven't had a response a few weeks after submitting. Plus you're just hitting the market at a peak time when all the students that graduated are flooding in (I know you don't have much choice b/c your wife just graduated), but with the economy picking up and what not, the hospitals are going to continue to ramp up hiring. I know at my hospital finances are dramatically different from a year ago from barely turning a profit to doing quite well; plus several hospitals my friends work at have taken on numerous new grads, so there will definitely be something for you guys. I know that according to the manpower website that minnesota seems to have a need, and there always seems to be recruiter emails I get about N. Cal; I'd just try for the states that have the greatest job opening density, maybe a pro like Z has a good idea of what states have the greatest need. If all else fails I could hook you guys up with some jobs in western KS or central MO (I know, you'd have to be desperate) but I get calls/emails weekly about such positions. Also, just post your resume on absolutely healthcare's website (the site is so ghetto archaic, but when I put my resume on there I got tons of calls, granted it was a few years ago but I heard a lot of HR recruiters and other recruiters use this site, so may be worth it)

Oops, I guess its Wisconsin, not Minn that had the high "AGI" number on the manpower site

"Mike's Great Resume Submitting Spree of 2010" started around April 20th or so. Hopefully you are right. If there is a Dave and Buster's in Kansas or Missouri, it would be a fine place to live, I'm sure.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Mike, if you're referring to putting your resume up on that site, unless times have really changed, you might need to change your phone number after all this; good luck to ya man
And Z, the day you can't find a job is when mere mortals such as myself will have no options other than ditch digger or custodial engineer 😉
 
About 20 recruiters have contacted me. Lmao. If anybody wants one, I've got them in spades.

I thought this guy's website was amusing. He's got the green screen floating human video going and everything.

I found a local dude here in Morgantown, though, so I suppose all that was rather unnecessary. Dude, you weren't lying...these people have been calling me all day...I had to take my resume down...good God...
 
mikey,
you do know how they operate right? they will submit your resume in a stack to only those hospitals they have a contract with. these scumbags typically try to charge 25 to 30 percent of your annual salary for the fee. and they dont want you to work with any other recruiter while they represent 100s of applicants. give your resume to everyone and tell them youre only going to work with the one youre on the phone with since all those scumbags will have different contracts with different hospitals.
 
mikey,
you do know how they operate right? they will submit your resume in a stack to only those hospitals they have a contract with. these scumbags typically try to charge 25 to 30 percent of your annual salary for the fee. and they dont want you to work with any other recruiter while they represent 100s of applicants. give your resume to everyone and tell them youre only going to work with the one youre on the phone with since all those scumbags will have different contracts with different hospitals.

Oh, I know how they work. 30% is a laughable amount. The hospital I went to after graduation only paid $5k for me via the recruiter. I figure it can't hurt to have a few of them out there slingin' for me.
 
how many states are you licensed?

Dos. PA and WV.

I think the HR departments read this site, because I just got two legitimate, non-recruiter calls in the last hour. Two jobs up in Yinzer. Neither a total grand slam, but one sounds interesting. Not hospital...desk job...calling physicians all day to argue. Looking better for me...now the wifey...
 
Happy Birthday! Hope you got the presents that you wanted! 🙂
 
About 20 recruiters have contacted me. Lmao.

I know we have beat the subject of whether or not grades matter while trying to get a job to death....

I'm curious though.....after you have practiced for a few years, do the hiring staff still care about the grades you got in pharmacy school, or is it mostly based on the track record at your old job? WVU, did they even ask you for a transcript?

For instance, lets say you sign an early contract agreement (say in P2 or P3 year) and then let your grades go way downhill (because screw it, you already have a job lined up). By the time you are finished with the contract (say, 3-4 years after graduation), will people at your next job actually care about your performance in pharmacy school?
 
happy belated birthday man

with your inpatient experience you're pretty much ahead of the curve, job shortage or not a combination of youth and experience will go a long way.

best of luck with the search
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I know we have beat the subject of whether or not grades matter while trying to get a job to death....

I'm curious though.....after you have practiced for a few years, do the hiring staff still care about the grades you got in pharmacy school, or is it mostly based on the track record at your old job? WVU, did they even ask you for a transcript?

For instance, lets say you sign an early contract agreement (say in P2 or P3 year) and then let your grades go way downhill (because screw it, you already have a job lined up). By the time you are finished with the contract (say, 3-4 years after graduation), will people at your next job actually care about your performance in pharmacy school?

My grades have never come up once since I walked across the stage at graduation. The only thing they care about is how talented you are.