"happy eye phenomenon"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Regallo

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi , I have a question about the happy eye phenomenon , My senior talked about it today and from what I have understood from him , it means that a radiologist shouldn't stop looking carefullyin the film even after he finds one abnormality . Happy eye phenomenon means that we shouldn't give the chance for our eyes to be happy and "elated" to a degree to miss a diagnosis .
Now here is my question , I have searched in Google using these words qouted but there was only one result , have anyone else heared about it ?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi , I have a question about the happy eye phenomenon , My senior talked about it today and from what I have understood from him , it means that a radiologist shouldn't stop looking carefullyin the film even after he finds one abnormality . Happy eye phenomenon means that we shouldn't give the chance for our eyes to be happy and "elated" to a degree to miss a diagnosis .
Now here is my question , I have searched in Google using these words qouted but there was only one result , have anyone else heared about it ?

I've never heard that particular phrasing (maybe he made it up?) but the concept is reiterated from radiologists I've spoken with. Usually in lectures they show films to illustrate the point, like the classic one I've seen a few times with multiple mets all over the lungs and a small apical pneumothorax. Basically your job is to pick up any abnormalities present, and you can't do that if you aren't looking for them :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Satisfaction of Search .... heard it many a time.

I've wondered if the now-antiquated "one unifying diagnosis" concept taught in medical schools exacerbates the "satisfaction of search" phenomenon.

I've wondered if the now-antiquated "one unifying diagnosis" concept taught in medical schools exacerbates the "satisfaction of search" phenomenon.

I don't think so. For example, if you find a subdural on a head CT, it doesn't mean that there isn't an occult tumor present. With CT/MR, you see everything and that is why a consistent search pattern must be employed for every modality. Pretty much every radiologist I've worked with emphasizes this concept. Whether they follow it or not is a different story.