Blake1e

7+ Year Member
May 18, 2012
Status
Dentist
Im a D1 and feel a bit overwhelmed. The material itself is quite easy, but the high quantity of it is the problem.

Class is everyday 8am to 5pm and Im not learning anything just by listening to the professors talk. I learn much faster studying on my own. I feel like Im wasting all my time in class b/c after an hour or 2 my brain reaches its limit and little-to-nothing sticks after that.

Back in undergrad I used to skip lecture (if it wasnt mandatory) and study on my own, but in D school it is highly recommended to attend class and sometimes the professors tell you what you need to know and what you can ignore for the exams. So there is a benefit to attending class, but I just cant learn anything by passively listening.

The only solutions Ive come up with is to study during class and just half pay attention and keep an ear out for when the professor says something will or will not be on the test. My 2nd solution is to just skip class entirely and study alone at home (Im most productive studying at home than anywhere else) and just keep bugging my buddies for their notes. Studying after class is not an option for me b/c Im usually too wiped out at the end of the day.

Im not sure what the right move is. B/c with the way things are now I keep falling behind and do pretty much all my learning during the weekends (which is stressful -teaching yourself 5 days worth of info in just 2).

Anyone else in or was in a similar position? How did you handle it?

Sep 8, 2012
NYC
Status
Dental Student
Does your school not have a podcasting system? :\

This was never an issue at NYU because we have podcasts, so you could skip most classes unless they're mandatory and just study on your own time...

OP
B

Blake1e

7+ Year Member
May 18, 2012
Status
Dentist
Does your school not have a podcasting system? :\

This was never an issue at NYU because we have podcasts, so you could skip most classes unless they're mandatory and just study on your own time...
No, unfortunately my school does not have that.

Dec 24, 2013
Status
Pre-Dental
D1 hopeful here with the same concerns. How do you guys remember so much and connect the dots?

hugomaaf

C/O 2019 @ UNLV SDM
5+ Year Member
Jan 10, 2013
Las Vegas
Status
Dental Student
Bump

tbiv21

7+ Year Member
Jan 22, 2010
Status
Dental Student
I have the same problem and we happen to be in the same class. After about a couple of hours I have trouble focusing and the same for after lunch. I have started going over slides and studying on my own during lecture and just ask people near me when they tend to emphasize something. I would much rather skip class and just study on my own since I don't get much during lecture or doing the half listening thing while studying on my own. Maybe we should take turns skipping class ;). It was nice to have a half day today because I went over a day in a half worth of material on my own during the other half of the day

CleverThought

5+ Year Member
May 30, 2011
Status
Dental Student
It stinks that you guys don't have recorded lectures. I guess if it were me in that situation, I would go to class and be present, but spend that class time studying instead of really paying close attention. That way you are there if a professor says something will or won't be tested or gives extra important info.

okiedokeartichoke

2+ Year Member
Jul 11, 2015
Status
Dental Student
Why don't you record the lecture on your phone? That way you can study during class if you must, and have the lectures to listen to later if you want so you won't miss any details. I did this for this one specific class throughout undergrad because there was no power point provided to us, no notes to follow really, nothing. He was like a robotic computer spitting out information in which everything that was said seemed vital, so I audio- recorded the whole hour (sneakily) on my phone. Afterwards, I filled in my class notes with anything I missed from the lecture by listening to the recording.

OP
B

Blake1e

7+ Year Member
May 18, 2012
Status
Dentist
D1 hopeful here with the same concerns. How do you guys remember so much and connect the dots?
I make practice exams when I study, its much more efficient and effective than just typing/writing out the notes over and over like some people do . Just writing/making the questions makes the material stick to your brain really fast. Then if you go over those questions once or twice then you pretty much have it down pat and that information is not leaving you for a while.
I have the same problem and we happen to be in the same class. After about a couple of hours I have trouble focusing and the same for after lunch. I have started going over slides and studying on my own during lecture and just ask people near me when they tend to emphasize something. I would much rather skip class and just study on my own since I don't get much during lecture or doing the half listening thing while studying on my own. Maybe we should take turns skipping class ;). It was nice to have a half day today because I went over a day in a half worth of material on my own during the other half of the day
lol maybe we should take turns skipping.
get an audio recording app on your phone
Why don't you record the lecture on your phone? That way you can study during class if you must, and have the lectures to listen to later if you want so you won't miss any details. I did this for this one specific class throughout undergrad because there was no power point provided to us, no notes to follow really, nothing. He was like a robotic computer spitting out information in which everything that was said seemed vital, so I audio- recorded the whole hour (sneakily) on my phone. Afterwards, I filled in my class notes with anything I missed from the lecture by listening to the recording.
My first thought was "thats a great idea why didnt I think of that," but then I realized its gonna be really hard to find the time to listen through 30-45 hrs of lecture a week (class is everyday 8am to 5pm, sometimes it ends a little early) even if you listen to it sped up.

okiedokeartichoke

2+ Year Member
Jul 11, 2015
Status
Dental Student
My first thought was "thats a great idea why didnt I think of that," but then I realized its gonna be really hard to find the time to listen through 30-45 hrs of lecture a week (class is everyday 8am to 5pm, sometimes it ends a little early) even if you listen to it sped up.
Lulz, it's funny you mentioned that because before I was about to submit my post from earlier, I was going to add at the end of the last sentence "...but it was a pain in the arse to listen to the lecture again a second time." I didn't want to discourage you from trying out the idea anyway, but you caught on :laugh:

Reactions: Blake1e

sbdento

7+ Year Member
Nov 11, 2010
I make practice exams when I study, its much more efficient and effective than just typing/writing out the notes over and over like some people do . Just writing/making the questions makes the material stick to your brain really fast. Then if you go over those questions once or twice then you pretty much have it down pat and that information is not leaving you for a while.

lol maybe we should take turns skipping.

I listen to them on 1.5x or 2.0 speed. Its more doable that way

Jan 21, 2015
Status
Dental Student
What? Why are you struggling? I read on SDN that the difficulty of dental school is an exaggeration; it's nothing like drinking water from a fire hydrant! /s

You go to roseman, right? I wonder if you can study in class lol. Wouldnt it be very noticeable given the layout of your lectures. Personally speaking, I do use my weekend to catch up but I do allocate time to go out. It gets a bit of the job done. But then again, I feel like I am not falling that behind because my classmates don't really know anything either. I guess by the professor's standard, we would be considered behind but...

Last edited:
OP
B

Blake1e

7+ Year Member
May 18, 2012
Status
Dentist
What? Why are you struggling? I read on SDN that the difficulty of dental school is an exaggeration; it's nothing like drinking water from a fire hydrant! /s

You go to roseman, right? I wonder if you can study in class lol. Wouldnt it be very noticeable given the layout of your lectures. Personally speaking, I do use my weekend to catch up but I do allocate time to go out. It gets a bit of the job done. But then again, I feel like I am not falling that behind because my classmates don't really know anything either. I guess by the professor's standard, we would be considered behind but...
Ive been trying to study during class, but too many things keep pulling my attention away and break momentum/productivity. Ex: professor asks class question, hard to not look up and chance you might be called; person next to you starts talking to you; etc. With the way I study (making my own practice questions) you really need to be focused on the material and not constantly be pulled away from it. Doing this, Id say I accomplish about 20-30% of what I normally would studying at home alone for the same amount of time. I mean its still better than just passively listening and hoping it sticks. I do go out on weekends, my study schedule is to start at around 7am and call it a day at about 5pm, give or take an hour depending on energy lvls.

D1 chiming in here. As far as being exhausted when you get home, try taking a short 30 minute nap. I have been doing that, and after I get up I am able to put in a good 4 solid hours of study, and get a lot out of it. You may want to ask your professors to let you have a short 5 minute break about every hour or so. I do that same thing while studying, study for an hour take a 10 minute break. That definitely helps me feel like I am retaining a lot more information. I would also recommend possibly changing your physical location for every hour of study. For example study for an hour at your desk, take a break. Study for an hour on hour couch, take a break...etc. It helps your brain retain more info if you are being exposed to the material in several different environments. I would say the most important thing is not letting the lectures pile up on you. Study them that night, instead of waiting for the weekend to come.
Taking a nap after class would make it harder for me to fall asleep later, I go to bed early b/w 9-10pm and wake up 6am. I dont have the mental energy to study after being in school for 9hrs (incl breaks & lunch).

The professors do give us 5min breaks every hour or so during class time, but thats not the issue. My brain isnt wired to be able to learn by passively listening to a person talking to a large audience. I do my own version of the pomodoro technique as well when I study, 1-2hrs of work then 5 or 10 min break and repeat over and over for however long I could manage. Studying itself is not an issue for me, but those 9hrs in school take up a lot of time/energy when alone I could teach myself all that in less than half the time.

Don't ever do this because you will wake up 4 hours later with no idea of who or where you are. I speak from personal experience.
Not a problem. I dont own a couch haha

Aug 4, 2015
Status
Dental Student
Im a D1 and feel a bit overwhelmed. The material itself is quite easy, but the high quantity of it is the problem.

Class is everyday 8am to 5pm and Im not learning anything just by listening to the professors talk. I learn much faster studying on my own. I feel like Im wasting all my time in class b/c after an hour or 2 my brain reaches its limit and little-to-nothing sticks after that.

Back in undergrad I used to skip lecture (if it wasnt mandatory) and study on my own, but in D school it is highly recommended to attend class and sometimes the professors tell you what you need to know and what you can ignore for the exams. So there is a benefit to attending class, but I just cant learn anything by passively listening.

The only solutions Ive come up with is to study during class and just half pay attention and keep an ear out for when the professor says something will or will not be on the test. My 2nd solution is to just skip class entirely and study alone at home (Im most productive studying at home than anywhere else) and just keep bugging my buddies for their notes. Studying after class is not an option for me b/c Im usually too wiped out at the end of the day.

Im not sure what the right move is. B/c with the way things are now I keep falling behind and do pretty much all my learning during the weekends (which is stressful -teaching yourself 5 days worth of info in just 2).

Anyone else in or was in a similar position? How did you handle it?

You should talk to your Dean or class president to see what needs to happen in order for you to get taped lectures. All we have to do is log on to blackboard and our lectures are right there sync'd up with the power point. That allows us to go to class and basically just listen to the instructor without having to worry about actually taking notes. Or if you are cramming you can study while you are in class

Reactions: Blake1e

Dr.Toothenstein

5+ Year Member
Jun 27, 2014
Status
Pre-Dental
Maybe buy a voice recorder and give it to a friend? They record and drag the files to a folder when they get home, that folder is synced up with google drive. Then what you can do is follow the powerpoint (if you have it) while listening to them lecture. Pause when you get to something important and make your questions that you said help you study. This way you go through the lecture and make your questions all in one go. If you need the files faster you could even meet with the guy/girl who has your voice recorder maybe during their break and upload the first half. Study on campus if you do.

You can buy recorders with a built in USB connector, very convenient.

Greyangel6

5+ Year Member
Aug 8, 2013
Status
Dentist
Yea a recording system would help you. My school records most/if not all lectures. But I try to go to lectures when I can (I may or may not pay attention) because some professors use attendance as basis for making the test harder or easier haha... Imagine you being tested on all biochemical pathways as a dental student and all 38 weeks of gestation when only a small portion of it is related to dentistry (like tooth formation), just because the class attendance was bad and that's the punishment haha...

Mar 27, 2015
Status
Medical Student
A m2 student here- idk much about d1- but I'm assuming just like m1, it's information onslaught. My classes were 8-5 too, it took me like 4 months to find a process that didn't leave me feeling like if miss something. Idk if anyone wants to know what Ido but in short, I 1) consolidate what topics/ chapters/objectives are going to be covered in that class (I make a chart in my notebook before the class) 2) if available, get outlines or make outlines (even they're basic) so while you listen you only have to add to it during class 3) i don't ever have the patience to sit through any of the recordings I take of the class so I skip that step and just make sure to add whatever power points into my outline notes for later 4) combine the objectives/chapter topics, outlines, power points after class. This is the most time consuming step, but after you finish, you have a ref for later and a solid grasp on the info

studentdent00

2+ Year Member
Dec 18, 2014
taking notes helps with staying focused

if you still find yourself zoning out, think of the debt you're incurring just to sit and listen to your profs. or better yet, calculate the per day cost of your dental education and say to yourself "I'm paying this much per day to be here."

Reactions: keewee981
Sep 29, 2015
Status
Dentist
When i was in dental school, i used to kind of zone out to what the teachers were saying, and instead focus on something i thought i should be learning. It went pretty well for me. But then again, i have a knack for multitasking, and hence used to pick up a bit of information regarding what was also going on in that certain class, so i wasn't totally out in the blue regarding said lecture.

Muggsy Bogues

7+ Year Member
Apr 6, 2011
Status
Skip the majority of lectures for four years, have one or two or three great friends whose moral compasses or whatever prevents them from skipping class and will let you copy their notes. Get A's. Only way to go.

Reactions: DentalLonghorn2014
Aug 4, 2013
Status
I don't learn during class lol. I have a hard time with that too. But I study on my own and learn better than what I could if I were in class. If teachers allow us to skip that certain class, you bet I'm not showing up lol.