Hard time trying to study chemistry, starting to hate the subject what to do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Medicalbound10

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I took chemistry ageeees ago and looking at the material after so long it feels like i have never seen it in my life before :(. Having a hard time to even get the desire to start problems(especially stoichiometry ones :() It sickens me to even open the book and start the problems at times....

any suggestions what i can do :confused:, i am in big trouble since i probably will get hit real hard in PS section :(

Members don't see this ad.

felt this way with phyiscs....study harder and longer;

It's true that you should focus 4x as much on the PS section as BS, because in BS a lot of the info is from the passage, whereas in PS, yes, you still have to rely on the passages (especially with the way the recent MCATS have been looking) but you really can't go anywhere without knowing the equations and how they are used/how to manipulate the variables/ see relationships between variables.

I thought that the PS was going to give me hard time, so I studied it diligently, every single day, much to my dismay and I honestly walked out of the test feeling like I crushed the PS section. By the end of my prep, I had two giant formula sheets (actually there were several), one for Gchem and the other for physics with every single formula and tips/hints/reminders of special topics/rules/considerations/assumptions that are important for each topic. I HIGHLY recommend you do the same. I know the feeling sucks, but hey, its the MCAT.....:cool:

How badly do you want to become a doctor? I use to need to reward myself for doing hard tasks. I used reward myself after studying with videogames, icecream etc. Now, I don't even need those anymore because my desire is strong enough. I've stopped playing computer games completely in order to focus on better things because there isn't enough time although I do get tempted once in a while-roommates playing sc2). How much time do you have before your mcat? I think proper planning and looking up people's advice can make the process easier. Good luck.

I took chemistry ageeees ago and looking at the material after so long it feels like i have never seen it in my life before :(. Having a hard time to even get the desire to start problems(especially stoichiometry ones :() It sickens me to even open the book and start the problems at times....

any suggestions what i can do :confused:, i am in big trouble since i probably will get hit real hard in PS section :(

This whole process is demoralizing to say the least. Last week, I literally sat on the floor, balled-up, at my GF's feet while she was cooking for us, hands over my face, and said," I quit. I don't want to do this anymore." I even thought about taking a prep course! :laugh:

However, one thing I realized was that I hit rock-bottom. I know this because I'm the type of guy that thinks about becoming a physician 24/7. Therefore, no matter how hard it is, no matter how many questions you miss, it's another opportunity to learn. Take this from a guy that got 100% in every single class for the past year! I'm not used to getting 75% on an exam. But think of it like this, if you get 75% across the board, you'll probably be in the 30s! Not to shabby....

Again, this process is tough. It's the hardest test I've ever (not) taken. However, every single doctor has been through this, and survived. Honestly, it's just a rite of passage into the Dr. Club. You'll do great, so hang in there! :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)

I can empathize with you, however, I do not agree with the other posters' sentiments/advice that this is something you need to (paraphrased) suck up and push through. Not everyone who succeeded on the MCAT worked hard. For some, things came naturally and for others, they used human resources instead of their individual wills.

It does not have to be this hard.

It does not have to require substantial sacrifice.

All you need is someone who will listen to you, identify your weaknesses, and show you the EASIEST way to either fix them or circumnavigate them.

Shoot me an e-mail ([email protected]) or a PM and let me help you find a way that works for YOU when it comes to general chemistry on the MCAT.

hey

jw how u preped for ps? alot of reading and/or problems?

felt this way with phyiscs....study harder and longer;

It's true that you should focus 4x as much on the PS section as BS, because in BS a lot of the info is from the passage, whereas in PS, yes, you still have to rely on the passages (especially with the way the recent MCATS have been looking) but you really can't go anywhere without knowing the equations and how they are used/how to manipulate the variables/ see relationships between variables.

I thought that the PS was going to give me hard time, so I studied it diligently, every single day, much to my dismay and I honestly walked out of the test feeling like I crushed the PS section. By the end of my prep, I had two giant formula sheets (actually there were several), one for Gchem and the other for physics with every single formula and tips/hints/reminders of special topics/rules/considerations/assumptions that are important for each topic. I HIGHLY recommend you do the same. I know the feeling sucks, but hey, its the MCAT.....:cool:

You are not alone bro...

Thank you all for your support and advise. This test has been one of the hardest thing so far in my life and similar to most of you, I have been tempted to seriously quit once in a while. It is especially more difficult when working full time and studying.

However, as some of you suggested how bad do i want to be a doc is the main question that needs to drive me through these times. I have taken time off this past week and feel re-energized to continue on this path.

This whole process is demoralizing to say the least. Last week, I literally sat on the floor, balled-up, at my GF's feet while she was cooking for us, hands over my face, and said," I quit. I don't want to do this anymore." I even thought about taking a prep course! :laugh:

However, one thing I realized was that I hit rock-bottom. I know this because I'm the type of guy that thinks about becoming a physician 24/7. Therefore, no matter how hard it is, no matter how many questions you miss, it's another opportunity to learn. Take this from a guy that got 100% in every single class for the past year! I'm not used to getting 75% on an exam. But think of it like this, if you get 75% across the board, you'll probably be in the 30s! Not to shabby....

Again, this process is tough. It's the hardest test I've ever (not) taken. However, every single doctor has been through this, and survived. Honestly, it's just a rite of passage into the Dr. Club. You'll do great, so hang in there! :thumbup:

This post must be either highly embellished, or just fake with the intention of appearing to empathize with the OP, or you must have taken some easy courses at some easy college which only required rote memorization. The MCAT is certainly the longest test I've ever taken, but the hardest?