Hard to find volunteer/internship places

Started by jrock89
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

jrock89

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have called around 5 hospitals around my area and it is extremely difficult to find a place that will allow me to shadow or volunteer. I either get told to fill out a online application and nothing happens over the course of a few days or I get declined. Even after my follow up calls of the online application, they just say they are reviewing everyone's application. I was wondering if anyone knew any places to shadow or intern around the DFW area. Thank you.
 
I'm not from your area, but I experienced the same challenges. I stopped calling and emailing and just visited each site I was interested in. Its quicker that way.
 
Did you end up getting a chance to shadow? How did you dress to each site? Very formal or just jeans and a shirt?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I always wore business casual , nice slacks / kahkis and a nice blouse /dress shirt / sweater depending on weather. But , after your first couple sessions you can see what type of attire the people who work there wear and adjust accordingly.
 
Yes, I got the paperwork to start my volunteer work/ shadowing hours that same day. Each facility has its own dress code so you should inquire with them. Good luck!
 
Don't limit yourself to hospitals, try rehab centers, out patient private practice, senior care centers, sport centers.........etc. Some of the hosp require TB, drug testing and will have you wear specific logo shirt or apron.....

there is another post somewhere on here about this. If anyone can locate it please post a link