Hard to measure respiration rate for cats

Started by dvmmiller
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

dvmmiller

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have found it's hard to measure respiration rate for cats especially the small ones using a vet vital signs monitor. Any idea? Thanks.
 
Are you using a monitor with an actual capnograph or just using a pulse oximeter that calculates respiratory rate based on fluctuations in hemoglobin saturation? The pulse ox-derived respiratory rate can be prone to errors, probably not in a small part due to the fact that pulse ox units themselves are prone to errors.

Honestly, I seldom rely on a monitor to determine respiratory rate... especially in an anesthetized animal (which I would assume it was if you're trying to use a monitor), they breathe slowly enough that I would probably just count respirations myself. When I do use a monitor to measure respiratory rate, a capnograph is my first choice.