Going rate for ER salary?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LeonbergerLover

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Of course this depends on the area of the country you're in and whatnot, but is there a good resource to be able to compare current salaries? A lot of job posts either don't list a salary, list a broad range, or list "at least X" and it's hard to know if a salary offer is reasonable without going through the process of speaking to every ER in the nearby area. The AVMA calculator is by state, and obviously living in different parts of a state can have really variable numbers. Of course salary isn't everything and there are a lot of other factors to consider, but how can you know if the number you're offered is competitive or if you need to counter? There was a similar thread a couple months ago about GP salaries.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm full time (13 shifts per month at 12 hours per shift) and am 70/hr in Denver. I'm truly hourly with full benefits otherwise. We are absolutely on the low end of ERs in my area, but definitely make up for it in quality of life. I truly leave on time the vast majority of the time. I very rarely do records outside the hospital after my shift and I'm paid to do them at home. I've been with this ER for just under 11 months and would be willing to stay forever if it remained this way. I am the primary income in our home and we could potentially live solely off my income, it would just be tight.

We see somewhere between $85 and $125 per hour or $1000 to $1500 per shift here in Texas.

Somewhere in $150-200k range seems pretty common in my area. More if you work more, or live in expensive places. Honestly rarely less ime unless you're part time or a small/slow ER.

Reactions: 1 user