harder?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Amirmoh

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys,
i was confused, most people on these forum say that topscore is harder than the real deal DAt when it comes to the sciences.....i wanted to know what you all think...thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

My scores were all over the place in topscore. Then took the real DAT and much easier than topscore.

Here's the way I see it . Topscore natural sciences are not necessarily harder or easier and here why. The majority of the material in Topscore natural science will not appear on the DAT NS. So it really comes down to how well you know the material that the DAT NS happens to test. What is the safe way to know all the material? "Know the Kaplan book cover to cover".

I disagree that the topics covered on topscore are not on the real DAT. I am currenly using topscore and find the topics very similar to the listed topics in the dat registration manual. These are the topics on the DAT according to the ADA test writers. In fact, I printed out the topics from topscore and find that nearly every one matches to a topic(s) convered in my registration booklet. I think that topscore may be a bit harder only because some other people say so, but I don't know that yet. However, if it is a little harder, I see that as a good thing and have used it recently to find some of my weak topics. I have the Kaplan books from Amazon and these books are the same as what you get for the Kaplan course. I am convinced that the Kaplan books are not the level of detail you need to score in the 20's, so I am also using some of by class textbooks. My sister, a dental student now, says that using this combo that includes heavy review from text books is a must.
:thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
joy2dmd said:
I disagree that the topics covered on topscore are not on the real DAT. I am currenly using topscore and find the topics very similar to the listed topics in the dat registration manual. These are the topics on the DAT according to the ADA test writers. In fact, I printed out the topics from topscore and find that nearly every one matches to a topic(s) convered in my registration booklet. I think that topscore may be a bit harder only because some other people say so, but I don't know that yet. However, if it is a little harder, I see that as a good thing and have used it recently to find some of my weak topics. I have the Kaplan books from Amazon and these books are the same as what you get for the Kaplan course. I am convinced that the Kaplan books are not the level of detail you need to score in the 20's, so I am also using some of by class textbooks. My sister, a dental student now, says that using this combo that includes heavy review from text books is a must.
:thumbup:

I agree with you that the topscore covers many of the topics from the ADA's DAT list, however, return to this post once you have taken the DAT and most likely you'll see what I mean.

I can go by what and how my sister did. Her advice was not consistant with what you are saying. I am following her footsteps exactly and it it was successful for her. She told me to study my text books, use topscore pro to "over prepare a little". Don't rely only on Kaplan, she says. It's is just an overview. No way you can condense all the topics in a little book like that. I guess that is what really makes the best sense if you think about it. I trust my sister a lot. She did it and she really and truly wants me in school. I don't know who anyone really is on this board, for all I know, you may work for Kaplan (nothing personal there, but...) I just try and take advice that really makes sense. I don't think Kaplan has the "secrets" to this test in their book. I think the best advice came from my sister to me and she says to study the topics from the ADA and study in some good detail. Use topscore and kaplan or schaums as a supplement. This will make your test day easier and get you an awesome score. That's what you want right, she says. Once you take the DAT, you don't want to say, gee I wish I studied more. I want to say, boy I'm glad I studied good enough for that 25. I'm puting in my time with true good study from my text books and since I know topscore tests on the topics (although a little challenging), I think it's going to work and work well. Good luck :luck:

Don't be surprised if you see similiar questions from both Kaplan and Top Score... on the actual DAT... but I think the biggest assest that TopScore has over the KAPLAN computer exercise is that it is looks more like the actual test... from the font, type, graphics... that familiarity alone is enough to give you an edge over the rest.... especially when it comes to the PAT part... just my two bits!

joy2dmd said:
Don't rely only on Kaplan, she says. It's is just an overview. No way you can condense all the topics in a little book like that.

Little book?? my kaplan book is roughly 1000 pages, thats in addition to the practice test library (if you take the course).

As many have noted, GC was definitely easier on the real DAT, however, there were a handful of Bio topics which didn't prepare me with any of the prep books (kaplan, barron) or topscore.

For the Biology section, I had to use multiple sources to study from. Kaplan has almost all the topics listed in the ada book, but the depth in kaplan books are just not there. I used a college biology review book to get the added detail. It helped me immensely, I scored a 20 on biology.

Chem and organic, kaplan does the job quite well.

Reading-topscore is right on the money, kaplan- tends to be a little harder than the real thing.

Perceptial-I have yet to find a source(I had a lot of sources) that had adequate material. Even with the 12 practice exams kaplan course offers, barrons review book of the DAt, topscore. I didn't try the acethedat, but I have heard great reviews of it though.

Math- Kaplan exams were hard, and I think the idea there is if you can do Kaplans math promblems you can do DAt math promblems. I found the GRE math book to be extremely helpfull, more realistic in type of promblems.

my 2cents

HD