Hardest DO Schools By MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Sorry, but DMU or CCOM is in a different class than WCU or Marian University.

It may be a matter of semantics, but the above is not totally accurate.

DMU and CCOM, for example, are more established and have better reputations because they have been around for a long time and have turned out scores of fine physicians.

WCU has turned out none, so it has not built its reputation. Its reputation will be built upon the physicians that it turns out, myself included. I have no doubt in a few years our reputation will be extremely solid and take a back seat to no one, even if we do not as long of a history.

Comparing DMU & CCOM to WCU and Marian is like comparing someone with a very good credit rating to one that has not established theirs.

Members don't see this ad.

DMU and CCOM, for example, are more established and have better reputations because they have been around for a long time and have turned out scores of fine physicians
Extensive alumni network, completely refined curriculum, and rotations that are at stronger hospitals and compare to MD schools.

WCU has turned out none, so it has not built its reputation. Its reputation will be built upon the physicians that it turns out, myself included. I have no doubt in a few years our reputation will be extremely solid and take a back seat to no one, even if we do not as long of a history.
I'm not saying that WCU is to be avoided like the plague.

Comparing DMU & CCOM to WCU and Marian is like comparing someone with a very good credit rating to one that has not established theirs.

So probability is that the guy with the already checked score has an a lot better score. Honestly I'm not saying WCU won't make you a good physician, just in most cases you will be better off at DMU.

Members don't see this ad :)

DMU and CCOM, for example, are more established and have better reputations because they have been around for a long time and have turned out scores of fine physicians.

ask both of these guys to apply for a loan and then come back and see how far this analogy really goes....
PDs do care about a school's pedigree. If you are coming from some brand new school they don't necessarily know what to expect and may prefer to go with an applicant who comes from a background the PD is familiar with.

For UNTHSC/TCOM keep in mind that they use a different application service and do not participate in grade replacement.

Is there somewhere that we can get an updated list of stats for this?

Its hard to know exactly because some schools don't show matriculant's average MCAT. From everything I've seen as a general rule:

Older/well established schools ~28-29
Mid-tier schools ~27
Newer schools ~25-26

The great thing about DO schools is they looks past the numbers. Higher stats only give you a better chance, they don't guarantee anything.

Its hard to know exactly because some schools don't show matriculant's average MCAT. From everything I've seen as a general rule:

Older/well established schools ~28-29
Mid-tier schools ~27
Newer schools ~25-26

The great thing about DO schools is they looks past the numbers. Higher stats only give you a better chance, they don't guarantee anything.

yeah... if only I knew the magical formula that makes me an excellent medical school candidate... my MCATs are only average for DO schools... I have a high GPA but still...

yeah... if only I knew the magical formula that makes me an excellent medical school candidate... my MCATs are only average for DO schools... I have a high GPA but still...

I've seen your numbers. You'll be getting interviews everywhere.

Members don't see this ad :)

You'll get plenty interviews with high GPAs and a mediocre MCAT, especially after applying this early. That being said, getting acceptances will depend on your performance in those interviews and what else you have to offer. Realistically, you should at least get one acceptance, provided you aren't terrible at interviews or something similar.

Touro- CA had a 29.5 avg apparently. It is not one of the older schools....

3.78 GPA Biochem major, Psychology minor... 9PS/8VR/10BS.... URM (if that matters) There are a lot of people applying with excellent stats... I hope to get interviewed and kill the interview... what resources can I use to prepare? I am a non-trad... 5-6 years out...

Touro- CA had a 29.5 avg apparently. It is not one of the older schools....
Obviously there are exceptions, but the numbers I thew out seem to be the general trend.

3.78 GPA Biochem major, Psychology minor... 9PS/8VR/10BS.... URM (if that matters) There are a lot of people applying with excellent stats... I hope to get interviewed and kill the interview... what resources can I use to prepare? I am a non-trad... 5-6 years out...

You have a decent shot at MD as well

You have a pretty good chance at MD schools as a URM.

Will average MCAT scores ever go in the 30s ? Also Touro NY is relatively new I believe and they have a high MCAT average.

if you are hispanic, I know that does not automatically make you URM. But if you speak spanish and have volunteered/shown a commitment in that community, it should substantially boost your chances for MD.

if you are hispanic, I know that does not automatically make you URM. But if you speak spanish and have volunteered/shown a commitment in that community, it should substantially boost your chances for MD.

I am Puerto Rican... I am not fluent in Spanish but I can speak and read Spanish (with some errors of course.. as it is not my first language)... my parents moved to the states after they got married and decided to teach me English as they were learning it themselves.. I try to volunteer for underserved communities from refugee/asylee populations, homeless women in my community and in high school/early college I volunteered in a couple non-profit organizations dedicated to helping out the minority populations in my neighboring town this included both Hispanic and African American populations... I was most interested in Hispanic populations of course but I have also worked with other underserved populations as well

I am Puerto Rican... I am not fluent in Spanish but I can speak and read Spanish (with some errors of course.. as it is not my first language)... my parents moved to the states after they got married and decided to teach me English as they were learning it themselves.. I try to volunteer for underserved communities from refugee/asylee populations, homeless women in my community and in high school/early college I volunteered in a couple non-profit organizations dedicated to helping out the minority populations in my neighboring town this included both Hispanic and African American populations... I was most interested in Hispanic populations of course but I have also worked with other underserved populations as well
You should check out this programs and try to find others like it ;)... dunno if this has been discussed elsewhere. But I have a friend in this program and he is URM.

http://www.meded.uci.edu/primelc/index.asp

3.78/27 and URM. I take back what I said before, you should get interviews almost everywhere and at least a few acceptances. Obviously your interview needs to be good as does the rest of your app, but you are in that great *balanced* stat range for DO schools (and probably a number of MD schools as a URM).