Hardest Part of MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Team Zissou

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I just wanted to ask everyone what section of the MCAT they thought was the most difficult. I'd have to say the verbal, only because as a biology major we only deal with math and science. What do you guys think?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys, I just wanted to ask everyone what section of the MCAT they thought was the most difficult. I'd have to say the verbal, only because as a biology major we only deal with math and science. What do you guys think?

BS, not that it's all that hard, but because there is too much competition from all the bio majors.

Verbal is the hardest to improve, but not necessarily the most difficult, I think. It is probably also the hardest area to time properly. In addition, you don't really know how you did until you get your score.

For me, I found the PS section most difficult. The form that I had (CR) was dominated by physics, and principally, mechanics, my area of greatest weakness.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would definitely say the VR section as well. To do well in this section, you must force yourself to be interested in a boring passage.

Ditto. There sure are a lot of boring passa...:sleep:

Hence the reason why I'm not looking forward to Friday night/Saturday/whenever these August scores are coming out.

I hate physics, so I would pick PS as the next worst section.

I would definitely say the VR section as well. To do well in this section, you must force yourself to be interested in a boring passage.

Really? I found my bigger issue was reading a passage I found interesting too intensley and wasting time.

But I hate PS - stupid physics.

most definitely verbal, i'm a slow reader, so timing was a problem. the science passages you don't even need to read half the time.

I think it's the writing section. With all the other sections, you know the right answer is in front of you. However, the writing section is the one area that you can't get a good gauge of until you take it..

The WS can hurt you a lot more than it can help... in my opinion...

for a 4 time MCAT taker...it has to be verbal. haha. But i think the biggest mistake ppl make is concentrating on verbal last week. THERE IS NO WAY YOU CAN IMPROVE IN VERBAL THE LAST WEEK OF THE TEST!

You can improve PS the most last week. I improved from a 10 to a 13, concentrating on ONLY PS last week.

waiting for the score

None were inherently difficult...

Just stamina. It's literally a test of endurance.

Members don't see this ad :)
In prep, I was most scared of PS and thought BS would be good. Ironically, my highest score was PS and my lowest score was BS although there wasn't too big a difference between the two.

Definitely the PS for me

me + math + no calculator = no bueno

You probably had it right the first time, if 'none' was meant to indicate 'not one'! Welcome back.

Interesting point. But "none of them were" sounds correct, doesn't it?

Thanks. :oops:

verbal, due to how difficult it is to improve your score (or even obtain a perfect score, cause there's no leeway in getting one or two wrong)

My vote is definitely for PS. I am terrible at Math/Physics and don't particularly like Chemistry. I loved the Verbal. In fact, I barely studied for that portion. But then again, I've always been a avid reader.

The hardest part of the MCAT is the constant fluctuation in your confidence during preparation.

i previously thought verbal was the hardest, but on the real deal, it was my best. go figure.

i think the toughest part is getting through a long ass day. don't know if the new MCAT will pose a similar problem.

too bad this wasn't created as a poll thread.

I def. agree with most posters. PS is 'hardest', but verbal is the hardest to improve and score 10+ on. Imho, you can cram alot of the science in the months preceeding the test. Not so with reading skills though.

I'm an English major, thought verbal was ridiculous. I don't mean ridiculously hard, just ridiculous. I don't think it necessarily tests your ability to "critically think/read". Not to mention, some of those passages are just plain boring.

The hardest part is recovering after the MCAT, and going back to a normal schedule of classes at school. By then you're so burnt out it's hard to muster up any ounce of motivation to study for midterms, finals, etc. I just wanted to spend spring quarter with my brain temporarily in the off position.

The hardest part is recovering after the MCAT, and going back to a normal schedule of classes at school. By then you're so burnt out it's hard to muster up any ounce of motivation to study for midterms, finals, etc. I just wanted to spend spring quarter with my brain temporarily in the off position.
August MCAT a year early was the way to go.

um... i kinda didn't like the whole thing but the fingerprinting was the worst part.

My opinion, 1 being the absolute worst:

1. VR
2. Writing
3. PS
4. BS

VR and writing were the ones where I might have trouble with time. Writing is probably a lot more pleasant now that you don't have to write by hand. I HATED that.

I found the verbal reasoning section of the August MCAT to be the hardest; I just pray to God I don't have to rewrite it. =\

Dr.TobiasFünke;4252765 said:
um... i kinda didn't like the whole thing but the fingerprinting was the worst part.

Heh... Yeah, that is kind of demeaning, isn't it?

I hear reading the New York Times (or an equally respectable newspaper) everyday will help improve your verbal scores.

I'm still a ways from taking the test. I'm currently studying engineering with plans to apply to med school afterwards, so BS will probably be the toughest for me.

I thought the VR was the hardest by far, then PS pretty was equal in difficulty to the BS. There were a few weird questions in the BS though if I remember correctly (highly unlikely).