MCAT Prep + Lab Part Time or Physics 2?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

an_apple_a_day

Reaction score
Planning on taking the MCAT at the end of this summer, which gives me about 14/15 weeks of prep. I am debating between taking a 6 week physics 2 class or working part time in my research lab (15-20 hrs/week) during this time. Physics 2 is the only pre-req I haven’t taken; I earned an A in Physics 1 but it was a bit of a struggle. I am just trying to weigh whether self studying would be a good idea/if a formal course before the test is worth it.

Members don't see this ad.

Have you taken Biochem/ Genetics? If you haven't taken Biochem then you need to wait. Even if you have I would advise to take physics 2 and work in the lab and wait until you have taken the needed courses.
If you are going to take the exam anyways then you are going to have to decide if Physics 2 is going to be a huge time commitment You said that physics 1 was work although you did awesome by earning the A, I just wonder if Physics 2 will eat up your first half of summer. I will say that Physics 2 isn't tested in depth on the MCAT, but the material is present.

Have you taken Biochem/ Genetics? If you haven't taken Biochem then you need to wait. Even if you have I would advise to take physics 2 and work in the lab and wait until you have taken the needed courses.
If you are going to take the exam anyways then you are going to have to decide if Physics 2 is going to be a huge time commitment You said that physics 1 was work although you did awesome by earning the A, I just wonder if Physics 2 will eat up your first half of summer. I will say that Physics 2 isn't tested in depth on the MCAT, but the material is present.
I have taken biochem!! Physics 2 is offered in the second summer session at my school so I’d have the first 5 weeks of summer to study full time, then part time while takin physics 2, then another 4 weeks to study full time before my test. If I push my MCAT to January, I worry about having even less time to study mostly because of my classes and other ECs.

I have taken biochem!! Physics 2 is offered in the second summer session at my school so I’d have the first 5 weeks of summer to study full time, then part time while takin physics 2, then another 4 weeks to study full time before my test. If I push my MCAT to January, I worry about having even less time to study mostly because of my classes and other ECs.
Do you plan on getting your app in for 2020 cycle? You are going to be late for the 2019 cycle surely.
I would now say to go full force into the MCAT prep with the intention of an end of summer date and as you approach you time limit to cancel/reschedule take AAMC FL1 and decide if that's the score you are happy with... Its still in debate if you want to take Physics 2 in that time frame or spend the time full force MCAT prep.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you plan on getting your app in for 2020 cycle? You are going to be late for the 2019 cycle surely.
I would now say to go full force into the MCAT prep with the intention of an end of summer date and as you approach you time limit to cancel/reschedule take AAMC FL1 and decide if that's the score you are happy with... Its still in debate if you want to take Physics 2 in that time frame or spend the time full force MCAT prep.
Yes I am planning for 2020 cycle. I am planning on full time studying for the summer, I just am not sure whether it’d more beneficial for a full physics 2 course or just self study. For physics 1 I really just used my textbook and materials from my prof. I don’t think I gained much from his class. I do have access to his materials for physics 2 as well

Its hard for anyone to tell you if you can skip out on physics 2. Obviously it isn't an ideal thing and nobody is going to advise you to do it.
Can you take a summer load and graduate in fall 2019, and then study MCAT during spring 2020 and apply summer 2020.

Its hard for anyone to tell you if you can skip out on physics 2. Obviously it isn't an ideal thing and nobody is going to advise you to do it.
Can you take a summer load and graduate in fall 2019, and then study MCAT during spring 2020 and apply summer 2020.

Theoretically yes but I don’t think it’s a good option. I’m thinking taking the physics 2 class and studying is best?

Its certainly a good option as then you would have more time to build a strong application. If you are going to go for it that's fine do as previously mentioned.
-Take physics 2 while studying full force for the MCAT even if it means getting an A- or whatever in physics because it cannot be a huge time sink.
-As your reschedule date approaches take AAMC FL1 and decide if that EXACT score is a score you will be happy with. Do not score 505 and think that because you have two weeks you will score 509 or whatever.

Then worst case scenario you get physics 2 done over the summer and stretch your MCAT out to sometime in Sep/Oct or whatever.

Its certainly a good option as then you would have more time to build a strong application. If you are going to go for it that's fine do as previously mentioned.
-Take physics 2 while studying full force for the MCAT even if it means getting an A- or whatever in physics because it cannot be a huge time sink.
-As your reschedule date approaches take AAMC FL1 and decide if that EXACT score is a score you will be happy with. Do not score 505 and think that because you have two weeks you will score 509 or whatever.

Then worst case scenario you get physics 2 done over the summer and stretch your MCAT out to sometime in Sep/Oct or whatever.
How far out from my test date should I do the AAMC FL1? I was thinking of scheduling my date for 8/31 so, if needed I can push back to 9/14.

Like the day before you have to decide to reschedule idk if its 30 days or what anymore, I don't remember.

Since you mention Physics 1 to be a struggle I would lean toward the class+study option. I was studying for the MCAT while taking upper level bio and that ultimately helped me a lot on both the bio and chem parts.

Another option...
Have you considered studying MCAT full time without either class or lab during the summer? This is a hard test and I would have rather had a rough semester doing research alongside class than not have enough dedicated MCAT study time.

Since you mention Physics 1 to be a struggle I would lean toward the class+study option. I was studying for the MCAT while taking upper level bio and that ultimately helped me a lot on both the bio and chem parts.

Another option...
Have you considered studying MCAT full time without either class or lab during the summer? This is a hard test and I would have rather had a rough semester doing research alongside class than not have enough dedicated MCAT study time.
definitely an option, it’d be preferable to study full time but i’d have to self study for physics 2. i was thinking it’d be smarter to take the class but i’m not sure.