1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. This forum is for support and discussion only. Please promote test prep materials/services (including AMAs) in the Special Offers subforum only. Thanks!
    Dismiss Notice

Hardest tests

Discussion in 'MCAT: Medical College Admissions Test' started by Cerberus, Mar 14, 2004.

1. Cerberus

Cerberus Heroic Necromancer
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I took the Berk. Review Exam VI today and let me just say.... OUCH! Definitely the hardest I have taken yet. Usually when I take a practice test and look back over the answers i missed, I say "well, that makes sense" or "d'oh that was a stupid mistake on my part". As I looked back over this test (especially the bio) I was thinking "huh?", "wtf?" and "I am so screwed".

2. UCLAstudent

UCLAstudent I'm a luck dragon!
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Cerb, I'm taking the Berkeley class. If you want, I can ask the guy who wrote it how that test compares with the real thing (he teaches many of the classes). I haven't taken Exam VI, yet, so I don't know.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. OP
    OP
    Cerberus

Attending Physician
    that would rock dude

4. UCLAstudent

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Will do that next time I see him... just to make you feel better, some of the Berkeley tests are more realistic, while others are very hard. I know that tests 1 and 4 are very close to the actual thing, while tests 2 and 3 are extremely difficult.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. OP
    OP
    Cerberus

Attending Physician
    I counted at least 6 problems on the BS section that I think are totally unrealistic. For instance this was a standalone question:

Which of the following amino acids is least likely to show a positive value for specific rotation?

a) Alanine
    b) Glutamine
    c) Glycine
    d) Valine

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

6. farley is god

farley is god Empty Tank.
    7+ Year Member

Glycine is achiral :)

7. farley is god

farley is god Empty Tank.
    7+ Year Member

errr just to clarify-
    I don't know that because I've memorized all side chains. That's one of the things that was highlighted as part of the Biochem Review for TPR.

8. UCLAstudent

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Actually, that's a fair question. Glycine's side chain is simply an H, which gives it two hydrogens on its alpha carbon. Thus, it can't rotate light (just rewording what the person above me already stated).

9. OP
    OP
    Cerberus

Attending Physician
    thats great if you know the structure of glycine but since it wasnt included on the test and since biochem is not a prerequisite to the mcat I think it is bs.

10. scooter31

scooter31 'Ello Guv'nah!
    7+ Year Member

Exam VIII is a tough one as well. I just finished going through that one tonight. *not panicking, not panicking... 8's are okay with a month left to go.....* +pissed+