Harvard, Columbia, Stanford, Yale, Cornell, Einstein, Mt. Sinai, Hopkins...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Premed2003

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I want to start thinking about my secondaries for schools. If you applied to the following schools, could you pretty please tell me what the secondary questions are?

Here's my list

Harvard
Columbia
Stanford
Yale
Cornell
Hopkins
Einstein
NYU
Mt. Sinai
Dartmouth
Emory
Duke
Northwestern
UChicago
University of Virginia
WashU St. Louis
University of Connecticut
Tufts

Thanks bunches

Members don't see this ad.

Go look at old posts from end of July/Aug of last year...we went through all of this then....it is a little more difficult without the search function...

Hey, what about Penn? It's a totally awesome place! You should apply there too!!! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Harvard - no questions asked (except MD/PHD)
Columbia - Another Amcas app.
Stanford
Yale - (why yale?, cant remember the second)
Cornell l - why cornell? what have you been doing during time off from school?
Hopkins - Why Hopkins? about 3 more others questions.( I am not sure)
Einstein
NYU- Why NYU?
Mt. Sinai -1.Why Mount Sinai?
2.Describe a way in which you?ve taken initiative or exhibited leadership?
Dartmouth
Emory
Duke
Northwestern
UChicago
University of Virginia
WashU St. Louis
Tufts

That is as good as I can remember - you can do searches to find the secondary question as well.

Thanks!
I tried to find the old posts, but I can't seem to find it :oops: (

oh yes! I forgot about UPENN
Yes, I'm applying to UPENN too. Does anyone remember that secondary app?

adding U Penn...

Harvard - no questions asked (except MD/PHD)
Columbia - Another Amcas app.
Stanford
Yale - (why yale?, cant remember the second)
U Penn - no questions!
Cornell l - why cornell? what have you been doing during time off from school?
Hopkins - Why Hopkins? about 3 more others questions.( I am not sure)
Einstein
NYU- Why NYU?
Mt. Sinai -1.Why Mount Sinai?
2.Describe a way in which you?ve taken initiative or exhibited leadership?
Dartmouth
Emory
Duke - really long, nasty 2ndary (6 essays or so). But they usually pre-screen, so there's no use wasting time working on them if there's a chance you won't even be given a 2ndary!
Northwestern
UChicago
University of Virginia
WashU St. Louis
Tufts

That is as good as I can remember - you can do searches to find the secondary question as well.

I am not sure if this link still works but it linked to online secondaries. Courtesy of Drako:

<a href="http://www.geocities.com/lvnh6791/paperamcas2002.htm" target="_blank">http://www.geocities.com/lvnh6791/paperamcas2002.htm</a>

I will keep digging!!!!!!!

Man, those are all top schools. I hope you are going to apply to a wide range of schools. If you are top heavy, you are liable to fall down.

•••quote:•••Originally posted by Premed2003:
•Hi everyone,

I want to start thinking about my secondaries for schools. If you applied to the following schools, could you pretty please tell me what the secondary questions are?

Here's my list

Harvard
Columbia
Stanford
Yale
Cornell
Hopkins
Einstein
NYU
Mt. Sinai
Dartmouth
Emory
Duke
Northwestern
UChicago
University of Virginia
WashU St. Louis
Tufts

Thanks bunches•••••

Oldman's right. Premed2003...what're your stats? Do you know your MCAT score yet, or did you just take it?

Thanks for your advice everyone. I'm top heavy b/c my premed advisor said I'm in at UConn, so that's my backup. Tufts, Dartmouth, Mt. Sinai, Einstein and others my stats are higher and my advisor said I should be in. So then the rest are my reaches.

I'm doing 16schools so I think that's okay, right?

PS I also have lots of extracurrics etc

Your pre-med advisor said you were 'in'? Does that mean your stats meet and exceed the average for that school? Or does your pre med advisor have some sort of pull? Speaking from experience, just because your stats exceed the average and it's your 'home school', that guarantees nothing.

Premed, are you from Connecticut or RI?

Anyway, if your stats are really that good, I don't think you CAN necessarily count on U Conn. They probably won't accept you because they'll know you're not going to go there! I hear they have a habit of waitlisting "overqualified" applicants. The same sort of thing can even happen at places like Sinai. And then the really top schools are so hard to get into, that even if you're that good of an applicant you might not make it. So you could end up having schools like U Conn think you'd never go there, and not accept you, schools like Sinai think you also wouldn't go there, and waitlist/reject you as well, and then perhaps not get into or only get waitlisted at the very top schools. Then you're screwed!

That said though, things will probably work out okay. I just want to make sure you realize how much of a crap shoot this process is, no matter how good of an applicant you are. The interview is VERY important. Treat every interview like your going to medical school will depend on it!

This is a good list. But from experience, I can tell you that a wide range is better. No one knows what the next pool of applicants will look like. Or how competitive your future class will be. How about just adding 2-3 more lower-end schools?

You can also choose to "feel-out" the application process. I know lots of folk on this board applied early enough to know they were in good shape (i.e:early interviews) with the schools they had chosen. Remember also, you can always add to your list later on.

Anyways, you seem "on-point" with all this and I am sure you will do well in the application process!

Good luck to you!

secondaries can change every year. some schools like stanford screen the primary in order to give you the secondary.
also, i agree. where are your "safety" schools? i think your pre med advisor is being narrow minded on this. it is not about quantity of anything but rather quality! i hope you apply to a wide range.

<a href="http://forums.studentdoctor.net/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=012038;p=2#000037" target="_blank">click here</a> :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

<a href="http://forums.studentdoctor.net/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=002582#000021" target="_blank">Here's the thread that lists many many secondary questions thanks to baylor21</a>

p.s. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
My eyes hurt from rolling so much!