Harvard Decisions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

supersleuthMD11

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone know when they're showing up? I've heard early march, but someone mentioned late this month. Anyone know the scoop?

Members don't see this ad.

Im pretty sure its early-mid march

March 9th

I'm just hoping to get an interview invite anyday now :|

Members don't see this ad :)
maybe we'll all be able to tell via the "financial aid page" as it was a few years back when the accepted students could all log in.

An interviewer I know said that they've been doing more interviews then they planned on, so decisions deff won't be mailed until second week of march. Maybe it'll be around the 9. I'll hopefully have an update as we get closer.

maybe we'll all be able to tell via the "financial aid page" as it was a few years back when the accepted students could all log in.

Yeah, but on my interview day current students who had done that said that the admissions office knew about the problem, and were going to to delay putting the info in this year. Can't hurt to try. :)

I interviewed ages ago, and waiting another month--for all the March schools--is pure agony. And Harvard's interviewing more people? Weren't there already enough stellar and fantastic candidates they *did* interview....ack! :eek:

does anyone know approximately how many of the interviewees are accepted? 10%? 20%?

does anyone know approximately how many of the interviewees are accepted? 10%? 20%?

haha, no way. Harvard ? 10%? it's more like 3%. 200 admitted out of about 6000 applicants.

haha, no way. Harvard ? 10%? it's more like 3%. 200 admitted out of about 6000 applicants.

Right, but they don't interview all 6000 applicants, and LadyKae wanted to know interviewee acceptance rates (I think it's something around 30%).

Anyone know when they're showing up? I've heard early march, but someone mentioned late this month. Anyone know the scoop?

i was told first week in march, which probably means as early as the 5th b/c i doubt that they would mail it on the 1st and 2nd (Thu and Fri).

Right, but they don't interview all 6000 applicants, and LadyKae wanted to know interviewee acceptance rates (I think it's something around 30%).

true, sorry about the misread. That rate is about 20%, 200 out of 1000.

According to US News 2005 stats, Harvard interviewed 1041 and accepted 239, so ~22.9%

Wow....less than one month! Feb just seems like such a looooooooooooong month! Oh well! :sleep:

Members don't see this ad :)
According to US News 2005 stats, Harvard interviewed 1041 and accepted 239, so ~22.9%

Are you sure about that number? I've never heard of a figure higher than around 750, including from the admisssions staff this year....

EDIT: Actually this comes directly from Harvard's website:
5,983 applicants applied for a spot in the August 2006 entering class.

Annually, Harvard Medical School interviews between 750-800 applicants for a class of 165.

Are you sure about that number? I've never heard of a figure higher than around 750, including from the admisssions staff this year....

EDIT: Actually this comes directly from Harvard's website:
5,983 applicants applied for a spot in the August 2006 entering class.

Annually, Harvard Medical School interviews between 750-800 applicants for a class of 165.
Yah, I remember on interview day they said they only interview around 800, so I'm not sure where these higher numbers are coming from.

If you look at the last few years' MSARs the average number of people interviewed at Harvard is around 750-770. This number hardly changes from year to year. And when I interviewed at Harvard, the admissions office told me they were planning to interview around 750 people from an applicant pool of approximately 7,000 this year.

If you look at the last few years' MSARs the average number of people interviewed at Harvard is around 750-770. This number hardly changes from year to year. And when I interviewed at Harvard, the admissions office told me they were planning to interview around 750 people from an applicant pool of approximately 7,000 this year.

Another ditto that they said they were interviewing around 700 people this year....although I don't recall if that was strictly NP or both NP and HST combined...

i think it makes sense if the 700 number is NP only. HST interviews ~150.

I heard 1000 too...
I heard 1000 too. The admissions guy was saying how lucky we were to be in the chosen 1000 from approximately the 6000 smt applicants.

I heard 1000 too. The admissions guy was saying how lucky we were to be in the chosen 1000 from approximately the 6000 smt applicants.
The admissions guy really said that? That didn't put you off at all?

The admissions guy really said that? That didn't put you off at all?

Why would it? It's harvard afterall. They could say eat dirt and I would eat dirt, right? :p

The reason people are saying 1000 is because that stat is coming directly from the $15 version of the US News 2007 stats (which give you the 2005 admissions figures straight from Harvard's answers to their questionnaire). According to that, your chances after the interview are a little worse than 24%. As for the 700-800 number, that's wishful thinking on Harvard's part.

Also, according to the guide, Harvard will send out acceptances for 2007-2008 between March 6 and March 15. My guess is their schedule will be pushed back though.

The reason people are saying 1000 is because that stat is coming directly from the $15 version of the US News 2007 stats (which give you the 2005 admissions figures straight from Harvard's answers to their questionnaire). According to that, your chances after the interview are a little worse than 24%. As for the 700-800 number, that's wishful thinking on Harvard's part.

so what's right, the MSAR or USNews?

anyone hear anything recently about the date that the letters will be sent out? would it make sense to call and ask or do you guys think it is too early to ask? soooooooo anxious.

Looking at past threads, it seems Harvard is pretty reliable with mailing out decisions on the day that they claim to. This year they said March 9th for the mailing date, which means we probably should not expect to receive them until the week after.

it's funny how i was irked by the distance ucsf's and stanford's decisions had to travel to get to me, and now for harvard (my true love), i can actually see their research bldgs from my dorm, and i'm freaking out because i almost DON'T want their decision to get to me first.

actually, it probably won't, my dorm's mail is slow... i should know, i use to work there ;)

it's funny how i was irked by the distance ucsf's and stanford's decisions had to travel to get to me, and now for harvard (my true love), i can actually see their research bldgs from my dorm, and i'm freaking out because i almost DON'T want their decision to get to me first.

actually, it probably won't, my dorm's mail is slow... i should know, i use to work there ;)

Do you go to Northeastern?

I am just wondering why the admissions staff would want to "fix" the financial aid/application decision loophole. All it does is let some very anxious applicants know their status sooner...what is the harm?

I am just wondering why the admissions staff would want to "fix" the financial aid/application decision loophole. All it does is let some very anxious applicants know their status sooner...what is the harm?

Yeah, and I'm afraid to check it since not being in the system could either mean a) you didn't get in or b) they fixed the loophole, and it will just add more stress on my part.

How early were people able to find out last year with the loophole? Has anybody actually tried logging into the aid page this year?

Yeah, and I'm afraid to check it since not being in the system could either mean a) you didn't get in or b) they fixed the loophole, and it will just add more stress on my part.

What is this financial aid "loophole" you guys are talking about?

Didn't work for me either, but I interviewed a week ago. Fingers crossed they just fixed the loophole.

What is this financial aid "loophole" you guys are talking about?

a few years ago, applicants that were accepted (but hadn't received the letter yet) were able to log into the financial aid login, and thus realized that they had been accepted.

I believe they fixed the loophole.

They haven' really decided our fates yet so even if the loophole was not fixed (although I assume it has), no one could log in yet.

They haven' really decided our fates yet so even if the loophole was not fixed (although I assume it has), no one could log in yet.

Agreed. To get a real sense of whether or not the loophole was fixed we would probably need to wait up until right before the decisions are sent out to check the fin. aid site. At that point the aid information should be available to account for those who will receive their acceptances first (people in Boston) even when the rest of us haven't.

wouldn't you also be able to log in if you were waitlisted though?

didn't work for me either :(

contrary to the above poster, i would like to know if it works for anyone else. i'd rather know sooner than later that i'm being rejected.

tried logging in...but it obviously can't work until after the adcomm meeting right? When do they start with those?

hey guys,

i'm a second yr at hms -- some friends of mine on the admissions committee told me that there were over 1000 interviewees this year, of which ~200 will receive outright acceptances. all sub-committees should make final decisions this week. final committee meeting is late this week/early next week. letters *should* be sent out second week of march.

best of luck everyone~

Does that mean it's too late to update my file with fall semester grades? I'm not sure how much that will help, but it could!

Geez, so many interviewees. Fingers crossed.

I'm not too worried about it. Monkeys have not started flying out of my butt so I’m not expecting much ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.