Harvard Dental School Acceptees Profiles

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bedlam17

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please post your profile/college credentials if you were accepted to the Harvard School of Dental Medicine.
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

bedlam17 said:
Please post your profile/college credentials if you were accepted to the Harvard School of Dental Medicine.
Thanks

I once got into Harvard college located in Maryland for a non-credit summer program does that count? I had only had two B's coming out of middle school.

bedlam17 said:
Thanks

this is one of those posts from someone who has no idea how dental schools work....

Members don't see this ad :)
plazaday said:
I got a 45 on my DAT's and I had a 4.0,but they didnt let me in :oops: :rolleyes:

The MCAT is out of 45...the DAT is out of 30...you should be a comedian

Reactions: 1 user
You can perform a search for past threads dedicated to this topic. I have taken the liberty of digging up the 2005 acceptance thread. You can look up those members that were accepted to Harvard and reference old posts to find their stats or you can find the 2005 applicant stat page and cross-reference them there.

jay228 said:
this is one of those posts from someone who has no idea how dental schools work....

that's a bit harsh.

Why do you think that, jay228? I fit according to the information on Harvard's website, but I'd like to see a more comprehensive profile from someone who's actually been accepted there.

Sprgrover said:
You can perform a search for past threads dedicated to this topic. I have taken the liberty of digging up the 2005 acceptance thread. You can look up those members that were accepted to Harvard and reference old posts to find their stats or you can find the 2005 applicant stat page and cross-reference them there.

Here are the ones who were accepted: KaryoKinesis, goldstar, mnrji, JCoop10, cherry22, drat, bspeedy00. I'll try to look information up on them.

bedlam17 said:
Here are the ones who were accepted: KaryoKinesis, goldstar, mnrji, JCoop10, cherry22, drat, bspeedy00. I'll try to look information up on them.

because, if you're applying to Harvard just because it has the name and you think that it represents the pinnacle of dental schools, you're just plain old wrong... there are 31 other dental schools in the US just as good.

harv's focus is on the more geared towards the academic and research oriented dent.

blacdoc said:
I once got into Harvard college located in Maryland for a non-credit summer program does that count? I had only had two B's coming out of middle school.

:laugh:

I'd probably want to academic and research oriented dentistry.

bedlam17 said:
I'm sorry to hear that.

Members don't see this ad :)
bedlam17 said:

hmm, I guess you want to get a Ph.D.? ... I think I'll stick to clinical dentistry :)

bedlam17 said:
Thanks

dont mind these guys responses, they're just jealous!

sure, be glad to help out a pre-dent!

Well, I was the President of my class and was Lead Volunteer in the Volunteer Society at my school. I was on Dean's List and I held various other positions in clubs. I was also voted "most to be successful". But hey, who's bragging?

In terms of academics, its pure numbers.
SCI: 3.91 OVERALL: 4.0
DAT, AA: 25, PAT: 26

Well, and I'm some of the "lower stat" acceptees in my class. Most are 4.0 on the dot and high DATs.

All I can say is good luck, chap!

:eek:

dentwannabe said:
dont mind these guys responses, they're just jealous!

sure, be glad to help out a pre-dent!

Well, I was the President of my class and was Lead Volunteer in the Volunteer Society at my school. I was on Dean's List and I held various other positions in clubs. I was also voted "most to be successful". But hey, who's bragging?

In terms of academics, its pure numbers.
SCI: 3.91 OVERALL: 4.0
DAT, AA: 25, PAT: 26

Well, and I'm some of the "lower stat" acceptees in my class. Most are 4.0 on the dot and high DATs.

All I can say is good luck, chap!

:eek:
Maybe I need to work on my math skills. How is it that you have a 3.91 science but your overall is a 4.0? Have you Harvard boys come up with some new mathematical formula that we're not aware of?

ItsGavinC said:
It's grade inflation.

LOL The post was clearly a joke though. Lead volunteer in the volunteer society LOL

I'd probably do some clinical work too if I could. I'm not totally sure what I'm going to do. In response to jay228 again, I've already read from interview posts that Harvard's dental school is old and doesn't look like it has the best facilities, but it's also the oldest dental school in the nation from what I read and they're building a new building. Plus, the first two years are largely in the medical school anyway.

dentwannabe,
As was implied by another member, from your username and from your post at http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?p=2860295#post2860295, I'm not so sure you're actually a student at the Harvard School of Dental Medicine. I myself have nearly a 3.9 GPA at Duke and was on the Dean's List WITH DISTINCTION (not bragging, just a response to the "Dean's List" above), but from what I've seen on other areas of the internet today, including the school's website, information on the people I found out were accepted, and http://www.harvardasda.org/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=4&sid=c0f20f8ff6e2ca2d7b4e0a48c1d1af82, the average GPA is 3.7 (although some accepted students have had slightly lower) and the average DAT TS and AA are 22 (with a range of supposedly 19 to 30). However, students and the website also said that the school isn't completely obsessed with numbers---the school is also looking for volunteer service, leadership, research (although not necessarily required for admission), obviously dental experience, a good motivation to pursue a career in dentistry, and career goals (worthy and benevolent ones, I suppose), all of which I should have by the time I apply, although I'm sure students have gotten in with just an in depth experience in just some of these areas. They're also looking for something that distinguishes an applicant from other applicants--- it looked like a few students even took a year off from college to get this something from what I read.

bedlam17 said:
dentwannabe,
As was implied by another member, from your username and from your post at http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?p=2860295#post2860295, I'm not so sure you're actually a student at the Harvard School of Dental Medicine. I myself have nearly a 3.9 GPA at Duke and was on the Dean's List WITH DISTINCTION (not bragging, just a response to the "Dean's List" above), but from what I've seen on other areas of the internet today, including the school's website, information on the people I found out were accepted, and http://www.harvardasda.org/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=4&sid=c0f20f8ff6e2ca2d7b4e0a48c1d1af82, the average GPA is 3.7 (although some accepted students have had slightly lower) and the average DAT TS and AA are 22 (with a range of supposedly 19 to 30). However, students and the website also said that the school isn't completely obsessed with numbers---the school is also looking for volunteer service, leadership, research (although not necessarily required for admission), obviously dental experience, a good motivation to pursue a career in dentistry, and career goals (worthy and benevolent ones, I suppose), all of which I should have by the time I apply, although I'm sure students have gotten in with just an in depth experience in just some of these areas. They're also looking for something that distinguishes an applicant from other applicants--- it looked like a few students even took a year off from college to get this something from what I read.

Oh yeah.Not bragging at all. :rolleyes:

Reactions: 1 user
bedlam17 said:
I'd probably do some clinical work too if I could. I'm not totally sure what I'm going to do. In response to jay228 again, I've already read from interview posts that Harvard's dental school is old and doesn't look like it has the best facilities, but it's also the oldest dental school in the nation from what I read and they're building a new building. Plus, the first two years are largely in the medical school anyway.

pardon my categorical categorization, but you're just approaching at it with an idiotic perspective because you fundamentally think the harvard name in the world of dental schools is something special....

get over it, apply to the school if you want, there's no definitive magic formula that will guarantee or automatically disqualify you, but oh wait! that's pretty much true at every single other school!

You sound like one of those typical overachievers who couldn't get into Harvard undergrad and now have some kind of chip on your shoulder.

"You sound like one of those typical overachievers who couldn't get into Harvard undergrad and now have some kind of chip on your shoulder."
Actually, I didn't apply to Harvard undergrad. Duke was the school I wanted to go to.

I do agree that there's no "definitive magic formula that will guarantee or automatically disqualify me," but it's still good to know information on past acceptees.

Don't like Harvard if you want. I do agree that Harvard is not necessarily the best dental school. However, I'd still like to go there. If you don't like Harvard, I assume you're not applying there and thus you are one less applicant to compete with.

I've gotten enough out of this board and it's no longer really contributing much to other people who are also applying to Harvard and would look information on past acceptees. I'm just going to no longer look at this post and encourage you to do the same.

oh you such lost directionless youths.... were we this incompetent that we had to get help from an internet forum to help us get through our applications?

jay228 said:
oh you such lost directionless youths.... were we this incompetent that we had to get help from an internet forum to help us get through our applications?

I agree with bedlam...why are you being so hostile towards him/her? chill man, her numbers and ambition is praiseworthy at the least.

I graduated Harvard undergrad class of 2002.

To those of you who applied and didn't get in or never considered applying because your grades weren't up to par, sucks to be you.

Slash said:
I graduated Harvard undergrad class of 2002.

To those of you who applied and didn't get in or never considered applying because your grades weren't up to par, sucks to be you.
On the contrary. I think it sucks to pay Harvard tuition and come out with a head as big as a hot air balloon but be no more marketable than the guy graduating from Podunk U!

RaiderNation said:
On the contrary. I think it sucks to pay Harvard tuition and come out with a head as big as a hot air balloon but be no more marketable than the guy graduating from Podunk U!

Says the guy who could never get into Harvard.

You only live once, and in your lifetime you settled for Podunk U.

Slash said:
Says the guy who could never get into Harvard.

You only live once, and in your lifetime you settled for Podunk U.
Never applied. You only live once, why waste it on high tuition and cocky colleagues?

RaiderNation said:
Never applied.

Smart move. Why bother with application fees to a school that will trash your application within two seconds of looking at your transcript?

RaiderNation said:
You only live once, why waste it on high tuition and cocky colleagues?

Yes, because high tuition and cocky colleagues are the definition of a Harvard education. :rolleyes: I just love the envy and hatred that non-Harvard students, the invalids, if you will, have to live with.

Slash said:
Smart move. Why bother with application fees to a school that will trash your application within two seconds of looking at your transcript?

Yes, because high tuition and cocky colleagues are the definition of a Harvard education. :rolleyes: I just love the envy and hatred that non-Harvard students, the invalids, if you will, have to live with.
Fact is, Harvard is a mirage, especially when it comes to dental school. They paint this big picture about how they are God's gift to education but it's all a farce. You know it, I know it, and now everyone else knows it. Have a nice day, Slash.

RaiderNation said:
Fact is, Harvard is a mirage, especially when it comes to dental school. They paint this big picture about how they are God's gift to education but it's all a farce. You know it, I know it, and now everyone else knows it. Have a nice day, Slash.

Please, enlighten us with your knowledge about a Harvard education. What basis do you have to judge a Harvard education? And no, watching Legally Blonde three times doesn't qualify as a credible basis. :smuggrin:

You are right about one thing though. Harvard is a mirage...to guys like you. It's a reality for others.

P.S. I'm just yanking your chain a bit. Don't get all bent up and out of shape about it. People that attend Harvard, and those like myself that are Harvard grads, worked hard to get into the school and worked even harder to stay in. For people that don't know a thing about attending Harvard to criticize the school either shows your ignorance or jealousy. I'm not some arrogant prick from Harvard. I'm very down to earth, though it is laughable when Podunk U grads throw out their two cents.

Slash '02.

I went to Harvard Undergrad (98), and I didn't find it to be anything special really. Sure the history and name is cool, but I thought it was definitely more hype than anything substantial.

The football rivalry is pretty tight, but then if you think about it, so are any of the classic football rivalries, and they actually have D1 teams!!

People need to get off their high horses.

Slash said:
Please, enlighten us with your knowledge about a Harvard education. What basis do you have to judge a Harvard education? And no, watching Legally Blonde three times doesn't qualify as a credible basis. :smuggrin:

You are right about one thing though. Harvard is a mirage...to guys like you. It's a reality for others.

And what basis do you have for assuming that Harvard is so sought after? Do you honestly think your education was any better than someone from Ohio St. or San Diego St.? You have a fat tuition bill to pay off and your bitter...it's quite understandable. And please heed to the advice of your Harvard colleague and get off your high horse. Harvard is nothing special.

Why so name-obsessed? Does it really matter where you go for undergrad,as long as you do well? Grade inflation and all aside,no adcom member is going to chuck some applicant out because he has a 4.0 from a non-Ivy.There are plenty of good schools out there(that arent as big of a waste of money). My personal belief? If you went to a big fat expensive flashy undergrad,you better have done really well(to justify you,or your parents,paying 250K for it).

RaiderNation said:
The "Harvard Gazette"...classic. I'm not bitter, just informed. But, Slash, your ignornace can be overcome. You just have to believe in yourself.

"your ignornace can be overcome"......THAT'S classic. :D

Slash said:
"your ignornace can be overcome"......THAT'S classic. :D
Your editing skills are amazing! Did you pick that up at Harvard too? How much did the class cost you? Oh, you don't want to talk about it? A little too much eh? Let's see, a Harvard undergrad debt plus dental school debt = A 45 year old Slash sitting in his 1 bedroom apartment staring at his Harvard degree wondering why the guy that went to Podunk U is so much more successful than he is. Harvard, a school of broken promises and cocky imbeciles.

And for those that think I'm sitting atop my high horse, think again. I've taken courses at Harvard, my state university, and even my local community college. An education is what you make of it and mostly depends on the quality of the student. Harvard just happens to have a much higher percentage of quality students than most colleges. That's not to say you can't get a decent education at other schools. One of my best college courses came from the community college level. Though, I'm sure all of you were accepted to Harvard and denied the school, right? :rolleyes:

Get over it already.

Slash said:
And for those that think I'm sitting atop my high horse, think again. I've taken courses at Harvard, my state university, and even my local community college. An education is what you make of it and mostly depends on the quality of the student. Harvard just happens to have a much higher percentage of quality students than most colleges. That's not to say you can't get a decent education at other schools. One of my best college courses came from the community college level. Though, I'm sure all of you were accepted to Harvard and denied the school, right? :rolleyes:

Get over it already.
You're finally getting it. It doesn't matter where you go.

RaiderNation said:
Your editing skills are amazing! Did you pick that up at Harvard too? How much did the class cost you? Oh, you don't want to talk about it? A little too much eh? Let's see, a Harvard undergrad debt plus dental school debt = A 45 year old Slash sitting in his 1 bedroom apartment staring at his Harvard degree wondering why the guy that went to Podunk U is so much more successful than he is. Harvard, a school of broken promises and cocky imbeciles.

Your post screams of bitterness. You are a very unhappy person. And it seems your editing skills are pretty good. Next time learn to spell ignorance.

RaiderNation said:
You're finally getting it. It doesn't matter where you go.

It doesn't change you didn't get into Harvard. But whatever helps you sleep at night.

Slash said:
Your post screams of bitterness. You are a very unhappy person. And it seems your editing skills are pretty good. Next time learn to spell ignorance.

Forgive me, Slash. I don't have a superior Harvard education like yourself. Maybe someday I can measure up to your greatness. :laugh:

:barf: Harvard

geez.. first, I don't want to be bias... Why do all of you have to be sooo bitter?? This thread is started with a modest question, but now turns to be like "brutal"?!?! chill out ppl! There's no use arguing about this! Nothing's wrong about applying to Harvard! or other dental schools in the nation! What matters is whether you can be a good dentist or not ..

Future DDS said:
geez.. first, I don't want to be bias... Why do all of you have to be sooo bitter?? This thread is started with a modest question, but now turns to be like "brutal"?!?! chill out ppl! There's no use arguing about this! Nothing's wrong about applying to Harvard! or other dental schools in the nation! What matters is whether you can be a good dentist or not ..

Guys, please stop giving Harvard a bad name.

How can you defame the name of our superior, presitigious, special institution???

I haven't read the whole thread...here's my take. People in the profession that I have asked have said Harvard's a waste of money for dental. I haven't heard too many positive things. You'll be a dentist no matter where you go and if you want to go to a school with a name like Harvard's hey go for it. Just realize you could probably get a better education for the same price or less somewhere else. And if it's really the name, I mean I've heard Columbia and UPenn have nice names as well ;).

As far as stat's go, I'd say I have pretty good stats and my preprofessional advisor told me it'd be hard to get in. I think a lot of people apply there who have top top stats and it does have that name so many people like.