Harvard extension school for premedical studies?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrBuro

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone was familiar with this program and could tell me a little about it. I was looking at the website, but it is not all that helpful.

-Could the program be done in one year, followed by immediate matriculation into med school?

-The price per credit isn't listed anywhere

-Acceptance rate after the program also is not listed.

Any info within or beyond these questions would be extremely helpful. I feel this sounds like a good program, and I live right in Boston so it would not require much traveling.

Members don't see this ad.

-It's a night program, designed for people who can't do daytime classes, typically due to work, so it can't be completed in one year. Completion of the program is also dependent on your undergrad GPA; as it gets lower, you need more credits at HES to finish it. So, in short, it can't be finished in one year as it's not designed for full time students. There is also no linkage program, so the lag year can't be avoided.

-The price per credit isn't posted for the 2005-06 year yet, it should be in late July. It probably won't change too much from last year, where most classes were $800 (inc. lab), so it's an incredible bargain. They don't do it by credit, but by class.

-They don't advertise their acceptance rate, but if you do a search, you can find a thread here that lists some schools where acceptance has been gained by students in the past. One thing to remember is that it seems the attrition rate is extremely high; from what I've read, about 200 people enter the program each year, and <50 get sponsored. I know it is well respected, and I do know one person (although it was a long time ago) who did the program and is now an MD.

More information can be gleaned from doing a search of this forum for Harvard, there are a lot of people who know a great deal about it.

jamesrd said:
-It's a night program, designed for people who can't do daytime classes, typically due to work, so it can't be completed in one year. Completion of the program is also dependent on your undergrad GPA; as it gets lower, you need more credits at HES to finish it. So, in short, it can't be finished in one year as it's not designed for full time students. There is also no linkage program, so the lag year can't be avoided.

On the contrary, having attended the information session, classes can be completed in one year and a summer. However, this was not advised by the director because of the workload. However, it is possible.

-They don't advertise their acceptance rate, but if you do a search, you can find a thread here that lists some schools where acceptance has been gained by students in the past. One thing to remember is that it seems the attrition rate is extremely high; from what I've read, about 200 people enter the program each year, and <50 get sponsored. I know it is well respected, and I do know one person (although it was a long time ago) who did the program and is now an MD.

I believe the accaptance rate for those who are sponsored is close to 90% according to the information session. True there is a high attrition rate and not everyone who completes classes is sponsored, but keep in mind you are allowed to ask for and individual professors are allowed to provide letters of recommendation for your application. So, all is not lost if you do not meet sponsorship requirements.

Check out the 2004/2005 threads. They are fairly easy to find with a simple search of "HES" or "Harvard" in the post-bacc forum.

I've just moved up to cambridge with housing and a job (im taking classes over the summer before the fall semester). If you need help PM me.

:luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
Sundarban1 said:
On the contrary, having attended the information session, classes can be completed in one year and a summer.

This is technically true, but many who try do not do well enough to get sponsorship as it usually requires studying for and taking the MCAT while juggling three heavy science classes. A lot of people do finish in a year and two summers (the preceding and following summer), and can take the August MCAT -- which works for many. Note that the summer classes are not technically the extension school but the summer school and so cost significantly more.

I might also add that Harvard summer school doesn't operate on a 2 sessions like all the other schools. It has one 2 month session covering the entire year, so at the end you get a super final covering the whole summer (which is 2 semesters worth). If you don't like that Brandeis, BU, and Tufts are the way to go. If you don't want to shell out the cash or can't afford any of the above summer schools go to UMass-Boston. Each prereq costs a little under $800 per session, including the lab fee. Other upper level courses without lab may cost less at UMass-Boston.

blankguy said:
I might also add that Harvard summer school doesn't operate on a 2 sessions like all the other schools. It has one 2 month session covering the entire year, so at the end you get a super final covering the whole summer (which is 2 semesters worth). If you don't like that Brandeis, BU, and Tufts are the way to go. If you don't want to shell out the cash or can't afford any of the above summer schools go to UMass-Boston. Each prereq costs a little under $800 per session, including the lab fee. Other upper level courses without lab may cost less at UMass-Boston.

Yo Blank,

How was your Umass semester...did you survive orgo?

I A'd Hagar's Bio111 (as well as 3 other classes) and now am looking forward to my EMT class at Northeastern ending in a week! From there it's HArvard inthe fall for BioII and ChemI. I wokring at Children's fulltime now' let me know what you're doing this summer.

Are you going to be at HES in the Fall??

Ock

I'm alive, I'm alive *maniacal laughter*

No, I am not going to HES next fall. I intend to study for the MCAT for the summer.