Harvard Health Careers Program vs. Tufts Prehealth Postbacc vs BU PremedPostbacc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

student14

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thoughts on these boston schools for those who have not yet completed the prereqs?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
There's been a billion posts about this. HES is cheaper and has better results, most people have been very satisfied.

As drizzt said, there has been a ton of posts on the good things about HES.

There isn't much elaboration needed - have a read around here and you'll quickly see why HES is a better choice

I have seen many posts regarding HES but few in comparison to Tufts when disregarding cost. I am looking for a structured program and don't mind spending a little extra. On the pure basis of program function, which would be preferable and why?

I have seen many posts regarding HES but few in comparison to Tufts when disregarding cost. I am looking for a structured program and don't mind spending a little extra. On the pure basis of program function, which would be preferable and why?

Ultimately, if what you're concerned about is outcomes, the data suggests HES is a better investment. If you want a structured program, you're best off looking outside of Boston.

That said, it sounds like you want to go to Tufts, if so, go, no one is stopping you.

I'm in a similar situation, although I have taken my MCAT. I am trying to find the best program, which I think is SMP in my case since I've taken all my pre-reqs getting As, but I have no idea which one will help me more. It seems like HES is more suited for individuals who need basic science over grade supplementing classes. Plus, it seems like you cannot apply at the same time you are in the program (you can't start in the summer and also send in your primary that june/july). Is this correct?

I'm talking about something completely different here. These programs are for pre-reqs only. The Harvard Health Careers Program requires taking the pre-reqs with them and the tufts program is the same.

HCP does not require taking the pre-req courses, but getting the diploma does require it. The only difference is ID card benefits though.

As far as the Tufts post-bac, it's a pretty new program, and I believe it is pretty small as well, so that is why you won't find much written about it. The classes are during the day and are taken with undergrads, where the Harvard HCP classes are night classes taken mostly with other post-bacs. If you know any regular pre-med's at Tufts, they might be your best way to find out about the quality of the pre-med classes there.

thanks for the input. It's hard to believe no one has anything to say about tufts though. the prehealth program has supposedly been around since the mid 80's, and it also has some nice linkages to tufts and BU med.

Also interested to hear about the BU program, which is very new from my understanding.

Linkages outside of the big four are over-rated IMO.

HES is also way cheaper than Tufts IIRC

And yes, Hereshoping, your topic/problem is very diff than the OPs

Enough with the meaningless bumps - this topic has been hashed to death a couple thousand times.

It must not be that meaningless if the person joined back in 2008 and his/her first post was to bump this thread.... RIGHT WINTERHK?