Harvard HST/MSTP vs. Hopkins MSTP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

treetrunk

deep roots
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
-tt

Members don't see this ad.

treetrunk, do you go to hopkins?

both are quality, so residency options and quality of education and research opportunities will be great at both schools. it depends on your specific area of interest, but both schools have great research (# and quality). HST will probably end up giving more options because of MIT.

i think the biggest difference is in environment. both places are focused, but i think hopkins is more cooperative while hst may be more competitive. this is based on opinion and word of mouth, so take it for what it's worth.

harvard had problems with people taking too long to finish, but i think it's gotten better. reputation is similar for residency/research most of the time, but in certain cases i think harvard's name will carry more weight.

anyway, i don't think it's possible to objectively say which program is better in a significant way (hst would probably have a slight edge), so it will come down to personal subjective factors, as it should.

treetrunk said:
Hey guys,

I feel very fortunate about being in this position but equally as uncomfortable with having to make the decision. Any insight? What do you think about:

-each program's ability to train physician-scientists
-quality of preclinical education
-quality of PhD education
-research opportunities (not just number but quality as well)
-quality of clinical education
-environment
-residency placement
-other relevant considerations

I would like to keep this discussion focused on objective rather than subjective factors since the subjective factors vary so much person to person. Thanks so much for your help. Please PM me if you would prefer this. I hope we can have a solid disucssion that may also be beneficial to others considering either of these programs or for choosing programs in general.

-tt

Try "Something the Lord made". Its out on DVD.

Hopkins rules.

Members don't see this ad :)
Dear Lord, someday please give me this problem.