Harvard HST vs. MSTP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ponderingoption

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
The HST MD curriculum at Harvard is not a combined program, but asserts that its graduates are well-prepared to embark on careers emphasizing clinical and biomedical research. Any thoughts on the relative advantages/disadvantages?

Members don't see this ad.

Do you sing?

Members don't see this ad :)
HST is a normal 4 year program right, just like New Pathway except the curriculum is different.

MSTP is better than any 4 year program.

HST is probably the best non-MSTP program at preparing you for medical research, but by itself its still not the same as getting a full blown PhD.

I think MacGyver put it perfectly.

Are you debating between that and an MD/PhD at a different institution?

Originally posted by CaNEM
Do you sing?

LOL :laugh: :laugh:

-The reason I am laughing is that while I was interviewing for HST, I heard some tool of a candidate was singing an ARIA during the tour portion of the interview as to try to impress her tour guide members.

-I'm kinda glad I didn't get in as I'd have to deal with shiit like that.

Come on guys, let's lighten up. I've experienced much more frightening sounds in Yale's libraries than a little song, and the "tool of a candidate" is really nice.
In any and every group you have people you may not want to associate with, but I've been really impressed with the people in the HST program--from friends to people I've met on the interview trail. However, I have been really surprised with how many of them turned down Md/PhD programs to go straight-HST. I met two who were turning down Cornell/Rock/SKI last weekend and know of two others (graduated in '01 and '02) who have turned down Duke and Baylor MSTPs. I thought it was crazy, but if you think you can get what you want out of a four year program, why take the extra 3-5 years. You can pay back the debt in that time? It's not my choice, but I can try to see why some might choose it. However, I cannot understand why someone would do the HST-PhD if they did not get full-funding. Paying for the four years+taking 7-9yrs for the education does not necessarily seem like the wisest option, but who knows! Cheers