Harvard interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

grasshopper

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone gotten interviews at Harvard recently? If so, do you have anything to say about,

a) how do they notify you of interview?

b) is it still true that they're notifying everybody of interview or no interview by Jan 1? (I read this in admissions material)

c) how uncomfortable is the "arrogance factor" that they're kind of reputed for?

Members don't see this ad.

harvard said they weren't going to make any decisions till all interviews were complete, which they predicted would be sometime in late march. this is in contrast to the literature that says harvard finishes interviewing by the first week in feb. and gives decisions mid-february.

it seems harvard was struck pretty bad this year with amcas and delays, and so i dont think that first week in jan. deadline for interview notification is going to hold this year.

it's unfortunate, though, because a lot of top non-rolling schools say that they all give out decisions AFTER harvard, because they want the people that got in there to withdraw their apps before they are offered spots at the other schools.
this means that either:
1)schools will give out decisions way later this year
2)schools will accept more than usual this year
or
3)schools will have more waitlist movement this year

i predict number 3.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have heard nothing from the big H. I'm not holding my breath, either. I haven't seen anyone on this board who's gotten an interview from them in a long time. They may have stopped interviewing. Who knows...

Anyway, I agree with choker. Any and all deadlines they set can be effectively ignored. And I'd expect all the big non-rolling schools to extend their deadlines as well.

Well that's comforting. Anybody that's been there (choker) or heard have anything to say about the arrogance issue? What do you guys think of this school? It's got such a multifaced reputation . . .

I haven't been there yet (obviously). But I've read through a pile of posts on interviewfeedback.com, and they're seriously disturbing. People that have interviewed and posted about it seem to really hate the place. They haven't treated me that badly yet, but they do (at least generally) seem to be relying on their reputation.

So, I haven't been there, and I can't answer directly, but I've heard bad things. There was actually a topic about this a while ago, you might want to do a search...

i've noticed that arrogance ceased to be an issue when you are part of that institution. it's not like they sit around and talk **** about the other schools; i have a lot of friends at harvard and the arrogance thing comes off during awkward interactions with outsiders and strangers.

"so where do you go to school"
"harvard"
"oooh"
and then it's awkward and comes off as arrogant. as for them just saying that they are the best, well they are most likely correct. but it's a more matter of fact statement than a nananana we're better than you statement.

people from harvard were not born and raised in the halls. they have been outside, they come from a range of different schools and hopefully know the realities of life and education. the people that i know from harvard are really amazing people full of accomplishment. if that comes off as arrogance when you meet them, it's really not.

as far as im concerned, elitism is a non-issue. i really want to go to a school where the students are proud of their institution and are genuinely happy they are there. so if a student says their school is the best, i think it's a good index of student satisfaction.

That's the impression I had from interviewfeedback as well, but then an acquaintace from my school (a 42/4.0, but he's also a genuinely nice guy)is a first year there now and says the people are all amazing and he's completely loving it and never been happier. But he also says some things that make me think he's just caught up in the "harvard attitude" like the rest of them. Regardless, I REALLY want to hear from them so I can find out for myself! Is it an e-mail, do you guys know?

i was referring to the stuff from 2 posts above mine (timing got screwed up), sorry about that

Well, like I said, there hasn't been anybody posting about a Harvard interview in a while. There was one thread about this that you started, actually (I just did a search), and the person that replied said they got their invite over telephone.

But I haven't heard anything in a while from anybody else. So, I would doubt that anybody here can offer us any guidance. :(

As to the elitist attitude... There have been a bunch of positive requests. I can't seem to find the thread that was discussing Harvard's attitude, but there were a pile of people who were very happy there. I suppose it probably depends on your attitute, more than anything.

I suppose I'm not being much help here... :D

As far as I know, it's done by email.

i found harvard to be unbelievably arrogant during my interviews. i got the impression that they just weren't interested in getting to know me. it was like they were doing me a big favor by giving me their time, and i needed to prove to them why i was so special. all my other interviews were equal, bi-directional exchanges. the harvard interviewers basically lectured me and hardly listened to my responses. after spending a day at harvard, i quickly took it off my list.

yeah, they're very exclusive, fine.

but when you're there, they kiss your ass. the leaders of medicine all consider you colleagues and treat you as equals.

whatever, you guys dont have to like harvard. take them off your list maybe they'll get to my file :)

I got my Harvard invite by email. I'll be interviewing there in 2 days. Every Harvard person I have met has been extremely nice and well-rounded. 2 Harvard students that I hardly know have offered to have me stay in their appartment while I'm in Boston. One I interviewed with at WashU will be out of town interviewing at Duke; while the other offered to stay across the hall with her friend while I stay in her room. I'll take up neither generous offer cause I was lucky to get a male HST host at the last minute. I've heard all the arrogance stuff about Harvard but I've never experienced it. I hope I still feel the same way after my interview there. I'll let you guys know how it went when I get back on Wednesday.

Do you guys know what the turnaround time was between when your app was complete and when you got the invite?

Original - did you apply just HST or did you do the NP thing too? I applied for both, and I'm curious as to how much different the process is...

Hey Brando:

I applied to both HST and NP but haven't heard squat from the NP.

The guy at admissions who always answers the phone sounds somewhat pretensious. When I asked about my file and how long it might take to have my file reviewed all he could say was: "Well IF you DO get an interview you'll hear by the end of Feb." He emphasized "IF". kinda presumptious if you ask me.

Original: Do you think that means HST is easier to get an interview at than NP? I thought it'd be the other way around...

I think they just have less applicants.

There are about 3 or 4 times more seats in the NP, so I would think it would be easier to get into.

How'd it go, Original?