harvard interviewees

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

qui1027

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i read on the feedback form that the interviews were open-filed..however i've been hearing from several people that they are closed-filed...i'm thinking a majority of them are open-filed??

Members don't see this ad.

qui1027 said:
i read on the feedback form that the interviews were open-filed..however i've been hearing from several people that they are closed-filed...i'm thinking a majority of them are open-filed??

they're open-file...they practically memorize it

qui1027 said:

One of mine was open-file and the guy knew everything about my application. My other interviewer said at the beginning she likes to conduct her interviews closed-file because it allows her to get to know the interviewee differently. Then at the end she looked over my application to see if she had any unanswered questions. It was actually a nice experience both ways. But I think the previous poster is correct in that in general the interviews are open-file.

Members don't see this ad :)
anystream said:
they're open-file...they practically memorize it

They're open file, and while some read the file, some don't. One of mine read through my app for the first time DURING my interview and asked me questions as he went along.

unicorn06 said:
They're open file, and while some read the file, some don't. One of mine read through my app for the first time DURING my interview and asked me questions as he went along.

I heard at one interview (not harvard) that some interviewers prefer to conduct interviews closed-file even though the information is available to them, since this allows them to make their own assessment of the applicant without being biased. I guess it makes sense either way.

I think its harder to convey everything you want during a closed-file interview, but you're more likely to get more detailed (and possibly more difficult) questions if its open file

Mine were open file... and one of the two interviewers in particular had read my file so closely that he asked some of the most insightful and interesting questions I've had at any interview. Somehow he even knew the name of a high school I'd gone to for a year when I was fourteen... and that wasn't even on my application! Woah. The second interview was also open file but in that one our conversation mainly went in other directions, not a lot of the file details. They were both different, but each was a lot of fun.

It was all in all a fabulous day. :love:

Enjoy and :luck: !

Risa said:
Mine were open file... and one of the two interviewers in particular had read my file so closely that he asked some of the most insightful and interesting questions I've had at any interview. Somehow he even knew the name of a high school I'd gone to for a year when I was fourteen... and that wasn't even on my application! Woah. The second interview was also open file but in that one our conversation mainly went in other directions, not a lot of the file details. They were both different, but each was a lot of fun.

It was all in all a fabulous day. :love:

Enjoy and :luck: !

i felt the same way! it was almost scary how much they knew...