Harvard Interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cgscribe

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just got an e-mail invite to interview for New Pathways. I just wanted to ask fellow sdn'ers any feedback from their experiences. In gazing at the interview section, it seems pretty low stress, but I'd appreciate any words of advice/guidance. Thanks all.

Members don't see this ad.

wow. so they are still handing out those interviews huh? Congrats!!!

Yeah, appears so. I got the e-mail and just assumed it was my rejection after waiting since October, but was pleasantly surprised. They only have interviews on the 12th and 13th of February left though.

Members don't see this ad :)
OH man, it was SO low-stress. My faculty interviewer and I were talking about trips to different countries, what life is like in Los Angeles (since she didn't know), the Japanese language, and all the random interests I have. I literally said "You ask interesting questions :) " and she said, "Yeah, well, I can just read the rest on your application :) " Of course I'm not 100% sure if this is correct (or if the interview was even "good"), but from what I gathered, it seemed that she just wanted to see that I was a well-rounded person with unique interests and good social skills. (My other interview with the student was more standard, i.e. "Why Harvard" and "Tell me about your research.")

maybe if u kept stressing ur URM status, it would get u an acceptance... just like for UCSF

Harsh, bitter and mean. What rejection crawled up your (presumably caucasian) arse?

maybe if u kept stressing ur URM status, it would get u an acceptance... just like for UCSF

That's not cool at all.

What does it take for some people to believe that a URM can get into medical school on merit alone?

My roommate, who is a URM, and I had a frank discussion about this. He's been accepted to a few top 10 schools. An issue he raised was that no matter where he goes to med school, some of his potential classmates (e.g., Dr_90210) will believe that the only reason he is there is because of his race and not his credentials. I told him that he was probably right and that there's nothing he could do, short of wearing a name tag that has his MCAT score and undergrad GPA on it, showing that he indeed belongs.

This made me think of an interesting question:

Assuming that race/ethnicity may be a factor considered in one's application to medical school, do you think it is more or less of a factor at higher ranked/more prestigious schools?

Thanks for the feedback. Dr. 90210 is going to start a flame war again. Again, I'll continue to admit that being a URM has helped me, but people's incessant need to blame their shortcomings on it are sad.

I think the URM status allows good candidates to become great candidates in adcoms eyes, and decent to become good. So, I think my application, which is solid, becomes on par with those of the 36 MCAT/high gpa crowd.

To answer the poster's q about its impact at different medical schools, I think it plays a large part regardless of prestige. I think more attention is placed on the ivy's, etc. because that's where a lot of very qualified applicants are missing out on spots due to urm's.

That's not cool at all.

What does it take for some people to believe that a URM can get into medical school on merit alone?

My roommate who is a URM and I had a frank discussion about this. He's been accepted to a few top 10 schools. An issue he raised was that no matter where he goes to med school, some of his potential classmates (e.g., Dr_90210) will believe that the only reason he is there is because of his race and not his credentials. I told him that he was probably right and that there's nothing he could do, short of wearing a name tag that has his MCAT score and undergrad GPA on it, showing that he indeed belongs.

This made me think of an interesting question:

Assuming that race/ethnicity may be a factor considered in one's application to medical school, do you think it is more or less of a factor at higher ranked/more prestigious schools?

Thats definitely true. Some people will think that. But prejudicist people will always remain. Its not just a URM thing. Its also prejudicist to assume a white kid you see at your future med school is judging you. dont forget that. Im not white nor am i a URM. I just wanted to make that point.

Also, california state schools have a unique circumstance compared to other state schools. California has a huge HUGE hispanic population and they would be doing a diservice to their patients if they did not yield a high number of hispanic doctors that would be able to better relate to their patients (not only speaking spanish, but being of that ethnicity of course helps).

I dont know if being a URM would help more for a prestigous school or not. The only answer I can give is that it does help a lot.

Thanks for the feedback. Dr. 90210 is going to start a flame war again. Again, I'll continue to admit that being a URM has helped me, but people's incessant need to blame their shortcomings on it are sad.

UCSF was my dream school. It does suck that I'm Indian and out-of-state (for this process). Hopefully I can get out there for residency.

at one of my interviews, i was talking with some of the fellow interviewees and when i mentioned i was hispanic, he said "you must be one of those affirmative action kids." i actually laughed and said yes. as much **** as people talk nowadays you just develop a thick skin. but yeah, i'm the same boat as cgscribe. i know my URM status has helped a LOT, but i'd like to think of myself as a desirable candidate regardless of race since i've busted my ass for four years...

anyways, back to the topic at hand. I've spoken to a couple harvard interviewees and they pretty much said the same thing the interview feedback does. i have my interview on the 8th of february, so i don't know anything from experience just yet.

good luck in everything cgscribe. you've definitely earned your spot.

I'd just like to reiterate what was said already. As it says in the interview feedback section, the day is very unstructured - you will have lots of time to yourself. They provide directions for a self-guided walking tour but it was cold the day I went so I just stuck to indoor places (the library, the MEC I think it's called) and read the viewbook they gave us. Both interviewers were very friendly and in my case, the interviews centered around my AMCAS experiences almost exclusively. I was able to go into a LOT of depth with each experience. Prep for this interview like any other (ie know yourself) and you'll be fine! Good luck :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
at one of my interviews, i was talking with some of the fellow interviewees and when i mentioned i was hispanic, he said "you must be one of those affirmative action kids." i actually laughed and said yes. as much **** as people talk nowadays you just develop a thick skin. but yeah, i'm the same boat as cgscribe. i know my URM status has helped a LOT, but i'd like to think of myself as a desirable candidate regardless of race since i've busted my ass for four years...

Are you kidding me? What an a$$! Trust me, with stats like yours, nobody is giving you handouts - you've definitely earned your position! :thumbup:

anyways, back to the topic at hand. I've spoken to a couple harvard interviewees and they pretty much said the same thing the interview feedback does. i have my interview on the 8th of february, so i don't know anything from experience just yet.

That is unbelievable. How did you just let that go?

I definitely agree. Congratulations to you cgscribe and good luck with everything. I can't say I am not jealous, but I can sincerely say you've earned what you've got and more power to you for it.

My interviewer asked a lot of very in depth questions about my research, such as what prior studies I based research on that I did freshmen year (I don't remember!) He also asked a few kind of weird questions, he was looking at my AMCAS and saw that I've been involved with two community service groups since my freshmen year. Seeing this he said, "Oh, is that the social life at *** college then, community service and stuff?" He also asked me what I thought going to an Ivy League school would be like since I went to a public high school and a small liberal arts college. I think I also stressed liking patient contact a little too much considering I was interviewing with a neuropatholoist (doh!). All and all, not my best interview. Oh well. My student interview was awesome though, very conversational and relaxed.
Good :luck: !

P.S This might seem obvious, but get there early! I got there right at 8 (the cab driver was late and GOT LOST!!!!!!) and they had already started the little orientation spiel!

yay non-urm-related harvard response!

and while we're at it, exactly how much down time does the hms interview day entail? can i, say, take out an interviewee to lunch and a movie?

P.S This might seem obvious, but get there early! I got there right at 8 (the cab driver was late and GOT LOST!!!!!!) and they had already started the little orientation spiel!

They gave you an orientation? Our student hosts ditched us and the guy that spoke to us just wanted to chat. He didn't answer a single question about curriculum, etc. Oh well, it is Harvard. I loved it anyway.

arg....can't we get back to the URM flame-fest?

They gave you an orientation? Our student hosts ditched us and the guy that spoke to us just wanted to chat. He didn't answer a single question about curriculum, etc. Oh well, it is Harvard. I loved it anyway.

just the guy wearing nail polish talking about boston, the different buildings, how many people they interview and accept, yada yada. he told me later that my lateness was offset by the fact that i wore a non black suit (yay?).

Thanks all. I'm definitely just going to enjoy the experience and try and put my best foot forward.

Yeah, the conversation was just over random things. I was in "WTF mode" the whole time.

impressive...most impressive

The school is absolutely wonderful, and they have the interview day extremely well organized. Good luck!

Any suggestions for cool things to do in Boston on a weekend in February? Also, is Boston's airport manageable, or is it easier to fly into another place?

Any suggestions for cool things to do in Boston on a weekend in February? Also, is Boston's airport manageable, or is it easier to fly into another place?

You definitely want to fly into Boston Logan.

You definitely want to fly into Boston Logan.

I'll second that. Logan's a good airport, and even getting to and from isn't that bad if you know what you're doing....and the next closest airport is in another state (and if you think traffic within Boston is bad, it's worse going into/leaving Boston).

Definitely fly into Logan, take JetBlue if you can. Take the free shuttle to the Blue line, take that to Government Center, then take the E train (Green line) to Longwood. You'll be at HMS in no time for the cost of a T ride (~$2).

The same thing happened to me! The cabbies in that area are clueless! Fortunately, I arrived with about three minutes to spare. If you plan on taking a cab, add about 15 minutes of fudge time into your schedule.