harvard secondary paragraph breaks

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

prufrock0880

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i can't get paragraph breaks for the HST essay. i've tried <p> in html, etc. but no luck. any suggestions?

thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm wondering the same thing. It's a bit annoying.

I just called them and they said "As long as you cut and paste from Word, you will be fine." Not sure what that means, though. Perhaps it shows up correctly on a .pdf form?

Members don't see this ad :)
i was considering putting in the standard "paragraph" symbol. i find it hard to believe that the one big paragraph gets properly sorted back into separate paragraphs. there's no way to preview the pdf, right? it's strange that they want you to use word instead of notepad, usually the unformatted version in wordpad is better.

but really, why do they make it so hard? yuck.

What part of the Harvard application is this?

there's a separate essay to apply to the hst division

In the room the women come and go,
Talking of Michaelangelo.

sorry, couldn't resist.

top said:
In the room the women come and go,
Talking of Michaelangelo.

sorry, couldn't resist.
no problem, but i'd still like to figure out the formatting :)

ESSAY FOR APPLICATIONS TO THE HARVARD-MIT DIVISION OF HEALTH SCIENCES AND TECHNOLOGY (HST). We strongly recommend that you prepare your essay (4000 characters max) using a word processing software program, and paste it into the space below. Be sure to save and print your essay using your word processor - you will not be able to print your essay from this web page. Instructions: Please give your reasons for your interest in this Program. Include areas of research interests. Please limit your comments to the equivalent of one page of single spaced text with a font size of 10 or 12.

did anybody figure this out?

UVA and Emory have the same problems on their essays. Did anyone call them up or figure this out? I shot off an email a couple days ago, but still no response.

I think I've figured out what's going on. I'm pretty sure the app actually saves line breaks that you enter; it just doesn't display them back to you when you edit it. However, if you save it again with no line breaks showing, it erases them out of its database, too. I tested this by entering the max characters including line breaks and then adding extra characters. The extras didn't save (so it saved the line breaks). Then, I added extra characters again (no line breaks visible), and this time they saved, indicating that the breaks weren't saved the second time. Sorry if that's confusing, but I think this is what's going on.

I think I've figured out what's going on. I'm pretty sure the app actually saves line breaks that you enter; it just doesn't display them back to you when you edit it. However, if you save it again with no line breaks showing, it erases them out of its database, too. I tested this by entering the max characters including line breaks and then adding extra characters. The extras didn't save (so it saved the line breaks). Then, I added extra characters again (no line breaks visible), and this time they saved, indicating that the breaks weren't saved the second time. Sorry if that's confusing, but I think this is what's going on.

Haha, what a cool little impromptu experiment. I can see you're going to be a good doctor!

Haha, what a cool little impromptu experiment. I can see you're going to be a good doctor!
Thank you, that's actually very nice of you :)

Hey, I don't know if you also noticed, but the online form only lets you save 3975 characters. Even assuming each of my line breaks are being saved (no sure way to tell) and each counts as two, it is only letting me save 3991 characters rather than the 4000 it says it should.
This is after pasting from notepad or from Word, using either explorer or firefox.
So it's not clear what is going on. I'll wait to hear back from the admissions office.