Harvard SM vs. Yale MPH

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

phdoc

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!

I am new to posting on this forum, although have been frequenting it throughout the MPH admissions process. Of the programs I have been accepted to, I have pretty much narrowed down my choices (granted I can work it out financially) to pursuing an MPH in the Social and Behavioral Sciences/Global health concentration at Yale or an SM in “Society, Human Development, and Health” with a concentration in Child and Maternal Health at Harvard.

The Harvard and Yale programs are pretty different. While I am leaning towards Harvard’s program because of its preemptive focus on the social determinants of health and social policy, I am wondering how an SM degree will be viewed in comparison to an MPH degree within the field of public health. I wonder if having the SM (even if it is from Harvard) will put me at a disadvantage because it’s not the public health professional degree like the MPH is. At this point, I think I wanted to attend medical school and somehow combine clinical practice with public health. Any insight anyone can offer regarding the SM vs. MPH would be awesome. :)

Members don't see this ad.

There's no significant advantage/disadvantage between the MS and MPH. They're just slightly different to get the same idea across.

Also, just in case you weren't 100% sure on your focus, Yale's SBS program is essential a social epidemiology program. Whereas by the sounds of it, the Harvard program is not like that.