Has anybody heard from BU yet?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tein

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I submitted my friggin AMCAS in July, and I still haven't even gotten my secondary!!

Members don't see this ad.

I haven't heard from them since I sent in the secondary. On my St. Louis interview I asked the others there if anyone had heard from BU, and no one had. I don't think they've started making offers yet? We can only hope. :)

Jade~

well that's good to know, but at least you've filled out your secondary app. maybe this is their way of telling me "son, you have no chance" :mad:

Members don't see this ad :)
If you are referring to Boston University, they do not have a secondary to fill out. They send a letter informing applicants of that and that all they require is a $100 application fee and your LOR's.

That's all I know of so far. Don't know if they have begun to invite people for interviews as of yet.

tein,
you should call them up and ask them what's going on. i got my secondary in july. they don't screen.

i just called the BU admin office. they said they just got my AMCAS yesterday, which is pretty damn strange considering i submitted it in june (although transcript didn't get there until july). sigh...

If your transcripts didn't arrive until July, it made no difference that you submitted your application in June. It can't be processed/verified until they have your transcripts. Boston was notorious last year for taking forever after taking your money. Their admissions office appears to be operating in the dark ages given the appearance of that "letter" they send out asking for your check. So it's not strange at all that it took them a while to download your info from AMCAS (it's not always AMCAS's fault when it takes a while for the info to get out). And they get absolutely swamped with apps because their averages are a little lower which leads people to believe they are a "safety" school. There are no "safeties" in the med school admissions process. I was admitted to 5 schools, waitlisted at 6 and totally ignored by Boston last year (aside from their cashing my check. And even that took quite a while!).

Originally posted by SMW
If your transcripts didn't arrive until July, it made no difference that you submitted your application in June. It can't be processed/verified until they have your transcripts. Boston was notorious last year for taking forever after taking your money. Their admissions office appears to be operating in the dark ages given the appearance of that "letter" they send out asking for your check. So it's not strange at all that it took them a while to download your info from AMCAS (it's not always AMCAS's fault when it takes a while for the info to get out). And they get absolutely swamped with apps because their averages are a little lower which leads people to believe they are a "safety" school. There are no "safeties" in the med school admissions process. I was admitted to 5 schools, waitlisted at 6 and totally ignored by Boston last year (aside from their cashing my check. And even that took quite a while!).

at least if they're slow cashing the check, you can cancel it after your first acceptance. :cool:

Originally posted by immediatespring
UUUHHHMMMMMM....... I WONDER WHY !

My sentiments exactly!!

Wanna know something funny? I'm still waiting to hear from them post-secondary from last year's friggin application cycle! :mad: Think there's still hope? Apparently I'm not even worth an official rejection letter!

But re-reading this thread, Tein appears to be a real applicant with real emotions (note the "sigh" above). Maybe he can be rehabilitated like A. Caveman who started out last year on a very negative note, and became an almost warm and fuzzy guy by the end of the cycle. I have to admit it seems like a long shot!

I agree, but calling somebody "mf" and "a......" names is not the best way to make a grand entrance onto SDN. Much less insult a moderator.

I hear BU's endowment took a big hit recently with the Enron fiasco. Maybe they're trying to recoup their losses (it's not like they can possibly charge more tuition for their med school, so they're exploring other revenue streams :mad: )

Members don't see this ad :)
Tweetie, you're right, he crossed the line. Good work!

tedstriker, they were just as money-hungry last year.

o come on, where's da love??

btw, twit is an affectionate term for tweetie bird

i can't believe you just closed that thread (it was turning into a classic, no?). i was on my best behavior.

i can't erase the threads btw b/c it's closed

BEHAVE OR I WILL GET MOTHER:laugh: :D

Originally posted by Tein
i can't believe you just closed that thread (it was turning into a classic, no?). i was on my best behavior.

i can't erase the threads btw b/c it's closed

I can't let you erase them so the other Admins can see it as proof.

Originally posted by Tweetie_bird
I can't let you erase them so the other Admins can see it as proof.

fair enough...
now i simply await my SDN trial :scared:

C'mon, Tein, I'm rooting for you to turn out like last year's A. Caveman -- blunt, no-nonsense and straightforward, but also supportive of and interested in other people and becoming warmer and fuzzier as the year went on. You've got a lot to make up for, so keep biting your tongue. At least you did apologize.

well come to think of it, i'm getting that warm, fuzzy feeling in my heart right now

ya and don't go tellin me how it's callin out to a "twit" :(

Originally posted by Tweetie_bird
ya and don't go tellin me how it's callin out to a "twit" :(

oh come on...i told you it's a sweet, affectionate term

so does BU administer secondaries or just post cards that ask for money?

They send out a letter (that looks sort of like it came out of a mimeograph machine) asking you for a check. Plus as I recall, the letter is very discouraging, telling you about the huge number of apps they get (which is true enough).

So I opened this thread today and I still don't think anyone asnwered the question. I hadn't heard ANYTHING from them and I turned in my app over a month ago too but today I got something that said my app was complete on a postcard. I think they are slow just like the other 15 schools I haven't heard from :)

you'd think more people would be getting interviews by now, considering the volume of interviewees..

I submitted the AMCAS on 7/12/02 and was transmitted to BU 8/16/02. The secondary was sent ($100 & picture) on 8/31/02, and my file was complete as of 9/11/02 (received a postcard by snail mail). Hope this helps.

-Stan

Yeah I know this isn't going to help at all, but thought I'd share that I just got my rejection letter this week. FROM LAST YEAR. Interviewed sometime in December last year. It arrived in my mailbox at Einstein. So don't worry. Good luck.

I find it interesting how all the threads where Tien curses and bashes people get closed, and how Warren P. Cheswick was spanked for bashing Leorl, but monster2 is allowed to attack people without consequence (Lee tells us to ignore him and closes that thread) because he supposedly comes from a poor background and goes to Hah-vud for undergrad. Figures. anyway, just an observation, nothing intended at anyone on this thread; I think moderators like Tweetie and Jamie are doing their job and wish I could say the same for all the moderators. please return to the topic of BU, which sends out interview invitations until March, then sends rejection letters to those not interviewed shortly afterward. I applied for 2001 and was rejected w/o interview by BU but accepted by Tufts. Kind of weird..

ok guys,
calm down. Let's get back to the original topic of this post. No more personal remarks/attacks please. :)

Originally posted by Katie
but monster2 is allowed to attack people without consequence (Lee tells us to ignore him and closes that thread) because he supposedly comes from a poor background and goes to Hah-vud for undergrad.

:confused: i knew he ranted on about harvard, but i never heard the poor part.

and, uhh, no, I've not heard from BU either :p

Be careful!...the BU "secondary" is so dinky that I almost mistook it for junkmail last year.

It is junky looking!! :laugh:

I got an interview invite from them today! :D :clap:

Me too! :clap: I guess they must have just sent out their first batch of interview invitations.

Congratulations cabruen & PrincessCKNY!

Princess CKNY and cabruen, don't forget to add to the list on the "Schools Requesting Interviews" thread! :clap: :D :cool: :) :cool: :D :clap:

I got it via snail mail. At first I thought it was another secondary until I realized (as I was opening it) that I had already sent in their "secondary." I will add BU to the list of schools right now.

Thanks guys for the kind words! FINALLY, we are getting some action here!:)

It's helpful to look into the MSAR and see how many applicants get interviewed at a school. For example, at NYMC I think almost 1/7th of applicants are interviewed, and from those, only 1/10th are ever accepted.

I'm not suggesting that an interview invitation isn't something to be excited about; just to be sure and prepare, because often times you still need to make a significant cut to ever receive an acceptance. good luck in boston, i've heard it's a nice city.

The MSAR generally only says how many matriculate, not how many are accepted. For NYMC 2001-2001, out of 9116 applicants, 1364 were interviewed (361 in-state, 1003 out-of-state), and 185 (67 in-state, 118 out-of state) matriculated. That does not tell us anything about how many were accepted.

For BU it was 9387 total apps (621 in-state, 8766 out-of-state), of which 927 were interviewed (188 in-state, 739 out-of-state) and 150 matriculated (45 in-state, 104 out-of-state).