Has anyone asked a school they turned down to take them back?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Maryland to AZ

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone. I was deciding between two schools - one close to my family, and one across the country. I chose to go to the farther away school, but due to a family issue that has recently arisen, I would like to see if I can go to a school that I was accepted to (but turned down) off the waitlist in mid-June that is very close to my family. Does anyone have any experience or information about this? Is this at all possible? Do I just call the admissions office and ask? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

That's like asking an ex-girlfriend that you called fat on her way out the door to take you back. Ouch.

You never know unless you try. I would call the admissions office, tell them you have a rather special case and respectfully ask if this is possible. Make sure it's a 100% deal though -- if they grant your wish and you flake on them, well....bad mojo.

There probably is still waitlist movement going on and if they're reasonable, they will consider it. Make sure you get across how much you love the school, etc.

i'd try.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone. I was deciding between two schools - one close to my family, and one across the country. I chose to go to the farther away school, but due to a family issue that has recently arisen, I would like to see if I can go to a school that I was accepted to (but turned down) off the waitlist in mid-June that is very close to my family. Does anyone have any experience or information about this? Is this at all possible? Do I just call the admissions office and ask? Thanks!

How recently? Was it prior to May 15th or after? They're not obligated to give you back your spot and most schools have their rosters filled by now. Just call and explain your situation

You're going to go to med school and it's going to be a huge part of your life. If you stay close enough to your family to be involved with their business you may not do as well during your studies.

You're going to go to med school and it's going to be a huge part of your life. If you stay close enough to your family to be involved with their business you may not do as well during your studies.

i hate this attitude.

Just call the school/dean and explain the situation as best you can and make it clear how much you are interested in their school.

You asked for other people's experiences with this. I actually withdrew from GW on May 15th, and then called the Dean the morning of the 16th and asked to be reinstated. They did so, but I had a relatively decent reason - I hadn't received my financial aid packet from them yet and felt that I couldn't really make a proper informed decision without it. At the time I withdrew, I didn't realize that I could have asked for an extension (i.e., that it was possible to hold onto two acceptances past the May 15th date for that reason). Anyway, good luck! Doesn't hurt to try....

Completely unsympathetic and unwarranted.

i hate this attitude.

I really didn't mean to sound so callous. I've had friends who stayed home because they mistakingly believed their family was their responsibility and postponed their education because of this. It's impossible to judge how much difference can be made by staying close to home without knowing more.

In the interest of contributing to the thread and not sounding like a heartless objectivist, I think that calling the school can get you back in. In one of threads about financial aid and "bidding wars," a school someone withdrew from called them after May 15 and offered them a scholarship. So it sounds that some schools, at least, are still interested even after turning them down. Also, you may be able to ask for a deferment to the school you were intending to attend to give you time to handle your affairs at home.

Thanks for everyones advice. I am going to call them today - I guess I will just call the main admissions office and ask them. I assume its hard to get the dean of admissions on the phone - Phoenix who did you call at GW? I'm actually more concerned about my ability to do well away from my family than near them - they are a pretty important support system for me. My father has become seriously ill, and I'd hate to not be there to spend time with him. Thank you again!

I actually have the same concern... if you are too busy with family issues, you might find yourself distracted and not studying enough to pass. On the other hand, if you are far away from home and end up interrupting your studies to come home for a few days everytime this issue became more serious (or was thought to be the case), you might end up hurting yourself more. The OP says family is a great support system for him/her, so as long as this family issue isn't more of a burden then the support he/she gets, I'd vote stay home (if the school will take the OP back).

The OP is asking whether it is possible to get an acceptance back, not whether he should stay or go away. If the OP,s father is seriously ill, maybe that is more important to him than "his studies" as well it should be. Just answer the question, don't butt in with other unsolicited "advice."
Posted via Mobile Device

Thanks for everyones advice. I am going to call them today - I guess I will just call the main admissions office and ask them. I assume its hard to get the dean of admissions on the phone - Phoenix who did you call at GW? I'm actually more concerned about my ability to do well away from my family than near them - they are a pretty important support system for me. My father has become seriously ill, and I'd hate to not be there to spend time with him. Thank you again!

I actually called the admissions office and asked to speak with the dean (the email I got accepting me to GW, and the email I got confirming my withdrawal were both from that dean), and they just asked my name and put me through. I think if your father has recently become ill, that would be a great reason to ask to be reinstated. It's not like you just randomly changed your mind and could be fickle and change it right back again. Explain the situation and how important it will be to be nearby to support your family through your father's illness, and I think you've got as good a shot as any if they've got the room in their class. They wanted you before, so I would think they'd want you now (again, provided they have room and your reasoning/explanation rings true). Good luck.

Well I know at UCSD if you don't get an interview or if you get put on the wait list, you get one shot to petition to have your application re-reviewed. So I would imagine that it is possible for other schools as well.