Dismiss Notice
Check out the new Application Assistant, where you can calculate your LizzyM score, see how you rank compared to other applicants, and see a list of schools where similar students were accepted.

Has anyone been accepted with a BAAS degree?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical Allopathic [ MD ]' started by Loyofosho, 05.19.14.

1. SDN is made possible through sponsorships and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. Loyofosho

Loyofosho

Pre-Medical
    Hi everyone, I'm a long time lurker but this is my first time posting.

I'm wondering if any of you out there have been accepted to an MD school with a Bachelor's of Applied Arts and Sciences degree, or maybe know someone who has. I absolutely know that Medical Schools accept any bachelor's degree, but my husband doesn't believe that a BAAS degree would ever be accepted, and challenged me to find a single example of it happening. Major kudos to anyone who can help me win this one.

Thanks!

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. gonnif

gonnif Only 1425 Days Until Next Presidential Election Lifetime Donor 7+ Year Member

Non-Student
    If you have a bachelors, however it is listed, the medical schools dont care. In my decade of doing this I have never heard of any student being denied because of funky degree. I have assisted BFA's in getting into medical school. Virtually any medical school website will, after the 90 credit rule disclaimer, say a bachelor's degree is preferred. They DONT say a BS or BA or anything just a bachelor's. Give your hubby a dope slap!

Last edited: 05.20.14
    familyaerospace and Loyofosho like this.
  4. Loyofosho

Loyofosho

Pre-Medical
    I emailed a few admissions depts just to get a feel for what they thought of it too. So far only Baylor College of Medicine responded saying an applicant would be unlikely to be accepted with a BAAS. I was surprised to hear that!

5. theSmurfette

theSmurfette 7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Just make sure it is from a college or university that is regionally accredited. http://www.chea.org/Directories/regional.asp If it has only national accreditation, the degree would not be acceptable to most, if not all, medical schools.

6. gonnif

gonnif Only 1425 Days Until Next Presidential Election Lifetime Donor 7+ Year Member

Non-Student

About the ads