has anyone chosen drexel over georgetown?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doctorFred

intensive carer
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i'm in georgetown's smp already, but have a phone interview for drexel scheduled for next week. have any of you (or do you know anyone) that chose drexel's program over another? i'm kind of turned off by the fact that drexel's classes are simulcast with their med students. also, the g-town program gives you a masters from a highly touted school verse a certificate from drexel, and g-town seems to have more support in terms of helping the applicants get into med school.

Members don't see this ad.

come to georgetown and (if I go) I will buy you a 6 pack of your favorite beer. even the fancy imported stuff. if you want pabst, eh, i'll buy pabst.
however, i can understand why some people (wanks, let's call them) might choose drexel: doesn't it have a linkage with the medical school of sorts?
seriously, i have nothing constructive to add. i'm sorry.

jebus said:
come to georgetown and (if I go) I will buy you a 6 pack of your favorite beer. even the fancy imported stuff. if you want pabst, eh, i'll buy pabst.
however, i can understand why some people (wanks, let's call them) might choose drexel: doesn't it have a linkage with the medical school of sorts?
seriously, i have nothing constructive to add. i'm sorry.

no linkage. and i'll take you up on the beer. high life or guiness.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do I get any beers if I go to G-town? :D

zahque said:
i'm in georgetown's smp already, but have a phone interview for drexel scheduled for next week. have any of you (or do you know anyone) that chose drexel's program over another? i'm kind of turned off by the fact that drexel's classes are simulcast with their med students. also, the g-town program gives you a masters from a highly touted school verse a certificate from drexel, and g-town seems to have more support in terms of helping the applicants get into med school.
I went to Drexel's open house last month. While there is no formal linkage between the IMS program and the medical school, you are guaranteed an interview at the medical school if you have a 3.0. If you do another year of research after the IMS year is through, they'll grant you a Master of Medical Science degree.

As far a the telecast is concerned: Oddly enough, Drexel's actual medical school facility (not the post bacc facility) doesn't have enough seating for their entire class in the main lecture hall, and they simulcast the lecture to students seated in an ajoining room.

all right, bobo, that's cool with me. so far i owe a couple of 6 packs and some cookies to some other people. (although, don't you have a ~3.5 from the best school in NC with a mutlisyllabic name, a 33, a grip of clinical ECs, etc.? I know you were playing it safe when you applied to the SMP, but man I hope you get in somewhere.)

jebus said:
all right, bobo, that's cool with me. so far i owe a couple of 6 packs and some cookies to some other people. (although, don't you have a ~3.5 from the best school in NC with a mutlisyllabic name, a 33, a grip of clinical ECs, etc.? I know you were playing it safe when you applied to the SMP, but man I hope you get in somewhere.)

haha... I wish I ad a 33 (I have a 31S that is wildly unbalanced 9-9-13). I did go to Wake Forest which is a top school (28 according to US news) but its def not the best in NC even. That goes to the dirty blue devils. yeah my EC's are def my strengths...research and clinical up the wazoo. Anyway I like michelob light if you can swing that and actually I do love cookies so throw those in to.... :thumbup:

edit: just saw you have a 36, looks like I should be buying you some beers....

zahque said:

Last year when I was applying to academic enhancing postbacs, I didn't even choose to apply to Georgetown and just applied to the Drexel IMS (I got into the IMS program but also got into and decided to do the UConn postbac). My reasoning between Drexel and Georgetown was based primarily on cost, where Drexel seemed about $10K cheaper in tuition. Even though you only get a certificate through 1 year of the Drexel program vs. a masters in Georgetown, my purpose of doing these programs was to get into med school not add a degree to my resume. Also, looking at the list of schools that students get into from both programs, they seemed equally effective to me. I could be wrong, but when I was looking into the programs it didn't seem like there was a significantly greater advantage in applying to med school from the SMP vs the IMS program, if you do equally well. Money was a concern for me, and not being in the actual lecture hall seemed worth saving $10K.

BOBODR said:
haha... I wish I ad a 33 (I have a 31S that is wildly unbalanced 9-9-13). I did go to Wake Forest which is a top school (28 according to US news) but its def not the best in NC even. That goes to the dirty blue devils. yeah my EC's are def my strengths...research and clinical up the wazoo. Anyway I like michelob light if you can swing that and actually I do love cookies so throw those in to.... :thumbup:

edit: just saw you have a 36, looks like I should be buying you some beers....

will you guys buy my poor 30 some beer?

madonna said:

You coming to the SMP madonna?

madonna said:
Madonna, if you come to the SMP, beer or something, your choice. Also, good luck at your Drexel and MSU interviews! I'm sure you'll do great!
Geez, Zahque, I'm sorry for hijacking your thread so quick. Usually I try to wait a little but I took no time on this one. Sorry.

BOBODR said:
You coming to the SMP madonna?

i cant decide (assuming i get in). part of me is hoping that late application and not so hot essay are holding me back and i can fix them w/o extra year of slave work and the price tag. But at the same time i know my stats are not great and there is nothing in my application that can make the adcoms' hearts skip a beat. i really want to get in a school in boston or ny and i feel that smp is my best bet.

but if i can count on you guys for some beer, the SMP begins to sound way better :)

bobodr, i really hope you get in this year. good luck

madonna, if you want to head to a boston school, maybe check out the boston university program...i think they have some sort of linkage similar to GT's. however, i do know that NYMC takes alot of SMPers so if you want to head there, the GT SMP might be a good route...personally, i loved the SMP...either way, gl with everything!

madonna said:
i cant decide (assuming i get in). part of me is hoping that late application and not so hot essay are holding me back and i can fix them w/o extra year of slave work and the price tag. But at the same time i know my stats are not great and there is nothing in my application that can make the adcoms' hearts skip a beat. i really want to get in a school in boston or ny and i feel that smp is my best bet.

but if i can count on you guys for some beer, the SMP begins to sound way better :)

bobodr, i really hope you get in this year. good luck

Bill Mcneal said:
FWIW I like Pacifico or Shiner Bock.

This is good, so if we all meet at a bar the week before the SMP begins, we won't have even have to introduce ourselves, we can just identify each other by what beers we are holding. :)

Also funny how our SMP talks have turned to promises of beers, perhaps thats why we are stuck doing the SMP? :)

I would use the faces provided by SDN but they arent working ?? Not surprising this website really is pretty ghetto sometimes.

BOBODR said:
Also funny how our SMP talks have turned to promises of beers, perhaps thats why we are stuck doing the SMP? :)
Ha ha! It's funny because it's true.
If I go to the SMP I will owe a lot of people a lot of beer.
Madonna, I'll hook you up with some beer if we both go so don't sweat that.
I'm partial to Anchor Steam in case anyone needs a way to ID me.
anchor_bottle.jpg

zahque said:
anchor steam? shiner boch? did you guys all go to small liberal arts colleges or what?

Let me guess Penn State = Pabst or Schlitz (sp?)... I have had some good times at PSU.

zahque said:
anchor steam? shiner boch? did you guys all go to small liberal arts colleges or what?
I got my degree from U. o' Washington. Red Hook was pretty popular but I think we just went for whatever had a brewery sort of close by. (People used to make fun of me for drinking that gay sailor beer - anchor steam - because their brewery's in SF. I expect no less from you.)
When I went to Wash U. I had plenty of natty light and bud and whatever else was made in town. My roommate there was from Altoona or something near there so I totally expected you to say Rolling Rock.