Has anyone else wasted the first month of summer not taking any classes or working ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MikePlayingDoc

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I messed up my schedule this summer and pretty much wasted the first month of summer. Am I the only one who has spent the first month of summer being very unproductive ?

Members don't see this ad.

yep.

I've been very productive, sorry! :D

it seems that nothing is out of bounds in the admissions game anymore. winter breaks are spent preparing for the MCAT and writing essays, summers are spent applying or earning a catchy credential. sleep schedules are abused to permit maximum studying at the expense of health. every spare moment is scrutinized. if you're not careful, you lose yourself. so enjoy the brief respite, you'll thank yourself later.

Z

Members don't see this ad :)
I started working within a week of my graduation. Just got my paycheck last week, enough to pay up for the primary application and some secondaries.

Don't worry, I'm in worse shape. I haven't been working since I left grad school in February! I started looking for a job immediately, but somewhat half-heartedly. After the April MCAT I started looking for a job basically full-time, and I still haven't found one! My husband and I spent a week visiting my family in SC, and I sent in my AMCAS application, but other thant that I've just been Susie Homemaker. Not that I mind terribly, though we could use the money that a job would provide. Thankfully I was offered a job on Friday (which I really don't want to have to take, because the boss is slightly nutty) and I have an interview on Thursday. I really really hope I get the job on Thursday because it looks awesome.

Anyway, just so you know, you aren't alone! Not doing anything "productive" for a month is not necessarily wasting time! Especially if you're in college; you need the time to relax and hang out and pursue your hobbies. There's no rule that says you can't take a month off to do your own thing!

Count me in! I was going to take 6 hours of summer school OR get a job, and somehow I ended up doing neither :eek: ! Well it was sort of an accidental thing, actually the situation really, really, really sucks, bc I was taking a history class, which I didn't know was a full summer long course until, well, like a week ago, which was a problem bc of dual enrollment issues in July, and to top it off I turned down an AWESOME job during an interview bc I was thinking the class+applying+studying for MCAT would be too much with work which SUCKS now bc I'm not even retaking the mcat (interview was prior to scores) so now I'm just wasting away, and not even getting AMCAS in :confused: What the hell is wrong with me!? To make things even crappier, this history class that I dropped is the only course bt me and my degree in Biology, which I was supposed to finish, um, a month ago. So much for that :rolleyes:

Zephyrus said:
it seems that nothing is out of bounds in the admissions game anymore. winter breaks are spent preparing for the MCAT and writing essays, summers are spent applying or earning a catchy credential. sleep schedules are abused to permit maximum studying at the expense of health. every spare moment is scrutinized. if you're not careful, you lose yourself. so enjoy the brief respite, you'll thank yourself later.

Z

Z,

what did you get on your writing sample for the latest mcat?? :laugh: :laugh:

i would peg you at a T...lol

anyway, it's always a pleasure to read your posts :thumbup:

nightowl said:
Count me in! I was going to take 6 hours of summer school OR get a job, and somehow I ended up doing neither :eek: ! Well it was sort of an accidental thing, actually the situation really, really, really sucks, bc I was taking a history class, which I didn't know was a full summer long course until, well, like a week ago, which was a problem bc of dual enrollment issues in July, and to top it off I turned down an AWESOME job during an interview bc I was thinking the class+applying+studying for MCAT would be too much with work which SUCKS now bc I'm not even retaking the mcat (interview was prior to scores) so now I'm just wasting away, and not even getting AMCAS in :confused: What the hell is wrong with me!? To make things even crappier, this history class that I dropped is the only course bt me and my degree in Biology, which I was supposed to finish, um, a month ago. So much for that :rolleyes:

haha.you sound like me....it's ok..don't feel too bad. That happens sometime. :p

I was supposed to be working but they screwed up my paperwork...major delays.
Now I'm just chillin' like a villian. Don't worry too much. Its not like we'll have free time in med school. I hear they don't even have summer breaks after the first year.

redclover said:
I was supposed to be working but they screwed up my paperwork...major delays.
Now I'm just chillin' like a villian. Don't worry too much. Its not like we'll have free time in med school. I hear they don't even have summer breaks after the first year.

most schools have summer break after first year, but not all. Lots of people use this time to do research or something, but others also just chill. After that, of course, no long breaks for...well, until you retire, I guess :laugh:

MikePlayingDoc said:
I messed up my schedule this summer and pretty much wasted the first month of summer. Am I the only one who has spent the first month of summer being very unproductive ?

I am with you on this. Originally I was going to take Organic Chem II over the summer at another college but it ended up being too much hassle because I don't drive and the bus to go there like never came. Because I had this plan before I didn't try to get any internships for the summer. I am trying to volunteer at a hospital near me but it is a bit filled up and the woman in charge said she would find me a place anyway...she hasn't called me to let me know whats happening so I'm more than annoyed and tired of calling. There is always my old office job(which I have already worked for 2 summers) but I am not too happy about going back to that. I feel so guilty about doing nothing...

I'm just doing some volunteering and shadowing, although I think I will regret not having a paying job once school starts.

you're def. not on your own...i've just been working out and lounging most this past month, i had other expectations for myself, but when you need a break, you need a break...
if only i could get the constant responsibility/"shouldn't i be doing something else?" chimes out of my head though...
due to these thoughts, i feel that my lackadaisical moment will be coming to an abrupt halt shortly : )

I haven't done crap! :D

MikePlayingDoc said:

I've wasted the whole first half of my summer, too. Now I'm starting in on wasting the second half. I can't wait!

Out of this crew. I worked 75 hours last week. I'm kinda beat now. :oops:

I'm getting married in a year though, so I'm trying to bank as much money as possible.