has anyone ever retaken courses?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pbure

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
has anyone ever gotten a good grade in a course and then retaken the same course to further boost the gpa? i'm a bit desperate to get my science gpa to around a B+ and am thinking of retaking an advanced bio course (biol 380 nutrition). i got a B the first time around 2 years ago. there are no other biology or even science courses available to me for summer 2006..my school has a very limited selection this time for some reason.
is it worth it to retake it and get the bcp and science to increase quite a bit or would i most likely get blasted in an interview or by an adcoms committee?

i am leaning towards retaking it and a computer science course and just getting the GPA's up as high as possible before i submit aadsas in late june..then dealing with the consequences later.

Members don't see this ad.

pbure said:
has anyone ever gotten a good grade in a course and then retaken the same course to further boost the gpa? i'm a bit desperate to get my science gpa to around a B+ and am thinking of retaking an advanced bio course (biol 380 nutrition). i got a B the first time around 2 years ago. there are no other biology or even science courses available to me for summer 2006..my school has a very limited selection this time for some reason.
is it worth it to retake it and get the bcp and science to increase quite a bit or would i most likely get blasted in an interview or by an adcoms committee?

i am leaning towards retaking it and a computer science course and just getting the GPA's up as high as possible before i submit aadsas in late june..then dealing with the consequences later.

im assuming ur applying this cycle and its ur junior year, which means u have around 90 credits so far, and a 3.3. which means even if u get a 4.3333 from a +/- school , ur gpa would only move up .02-.03 pts

EDIT:...lol actually once i think about it now .03 pts is a lot, damn why cant my school go by a +/- system with A+s :mad: also i dont think ur school would alow u to retake a class u got higher than a C in

pbure said:

it would be a complete waste of your time. If you receive an A it will average with your B, leaving you with a 3.5 overall GPA for that course. Average that into your existing GPA and you're talking about a miniscule rise in your GPA (assuming you have lots of credits). Your time and money are better spent elsewhere.

why people can't figure this out is a mystery to me.

Members don't see this ad :)
The difference in a 3.23 and ~3.28(estimate) probably isn't worth it. If you were going from a 2.94 to 3.02, that would be a different story.

colt said:
The difference in a 3.23 and ~3.28(estimate) probably isn't worth it. If you were going from a 2.94 to 3.02, that would be a different story.

Thanks for the advice. The 3.23 is assuming I get 4 A's this semester..and I think I will. But if for some reason I get a B I'd have a 3.18.
Would a 3.18 to a ~3.25 be worth it? I know BU says they like to employ a 3.2 cutoff for overall and science..so I'm thinking yes it is worth it to make sure I hit 3.2

pbure said:
The 3.23 is assuming I get 4 A's this semester..and I think I will.

Just relax for now. Youre overthinking it. Wait and see what you get this semester and go from there. Never assume youre gonna get a certain grade cuz then you get overconfident. I used to do the same thing, but you have to realize the final is probably worth around 40% of your grade. So you never know if your professor will give a bitch of an exam that ends up with a ridiculously low average. Take me for example. Last year i was taking GChem2 and had a solid A going into the final. Median on the final was 38%, i got a 27%....ended up with a B. Oh the memories.....

pbure said:
Thanks for the advice. The 3.23 is assuming I get 4 A's this semester..and I think I will. But if for some reason I get a B I'd have a 3.18.
Would a 3.18 to a ~3.25 be worth it? I know BU says they like to employ a 3.2 cutoff for overall and science..so I'm thinking yes it is worth it to make sure I hit 3.2
If you know without a doubt you can get A's, it may be worth it (considering the BU cutoff). If you do get all A's, you will only lose your time. How valuable is your summer?