MD Has anyone had to remediated preclinical courses? How did it work out?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sdominator21

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
How was it at your school? Did you do a written exam in the summer?

I was wondering if anyone has ever failed a remediation. I think that's pretty rare.

Members don't see this ad.

Exam is normally the same exam you failed over the summer. People fail remediation more than you think. If you do depend on your academic record you have to repeat the year. If you had academic difficulties in the past they might dismiss you.

I was wondering if anyone has ever failed a remediation. I think that's pretty rare.
At my schools, in our old Flexner style curriculum, I could remediate students with a written exam. Then our Dean mandated that remediations needed to be the same style of exams as our regular course exams.

Our timing is that remediations are done at the end of OMS1 or OMS2.

Failing a remediation is indeed rare. Those that do have to repeat the year, or get dismissed due to other considerations.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I feel like almost everyone passes remediations though. Because after M1, you don't have any other classes to study for that summer

Then again, I don't think anyones goal should be to simply pass the curriculum

At my schools, in our old Flexner style curriculum, I could remediate students with a written exam. Then our Dean mandated that remediations needed to be the same style of exams as our regular course exams.

Our timing is that remediations are done at the end of OMS1 or OMS2.

Failing a remediation is indeed rare. Those that do have to repeat the year, or get dismissed due to other considerations.

Does a remediation go on one's MSPE at your school? I know my school and some other schools have a system where if one student fails a course/lab practical/SP. They have to present to a promotion board to be "granted" a remediation. This apparently goes on an individual's MSPE.

Does a remediation go on one's MSPE at your school? I know my school and some other schools have a system where if one student fails a course/lab practical/SP. They have to present to a promotion board to be "granted" a remediation. This apparently goes on an individual's MSPE.

Depends on the school. At mine the ARB decides on whether to grant you a waiver and let you remediate without it going on your mspe.

I honestly don't know! I'll have to ask one of the clinical deans.

OP at my school it says PR on your transcript which stands for Pass with Remediation. Every school is different so take this with a grain of salt

You fail once, you get the performance committee, they decide if you are worthy to remediate, most of the time they will allow it. If you remediate and pass, you move on...if not you get another committee, that determines if you should recieve a chance to repeat a year.... if the following year you fail one more time, you get the boot.

At my school they simply give students a few weeks to study for a retake of the final. If they pass, they move on to the next set of classes. If they don’t, I’m assuming they take a LOA and come back the next go round.